Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Potential JKU buyer. Just question on negotiating

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SanDiegoCA 
#1 ·
First off my initial attempt will be to go through an internet sales/fleet staff.

I am comparing my prices off of Jeep.com because it's less confusing and seems a lot cheaper than local dealer websites MSRP that are 41,000-43,000 on the lot.

So I'd rather negotiate with what Jeep.com is offering.

So a JKU MSRP runs for 34,245 starting price. (based on direct website)
How much should or did you negotiate your jeep down to?

I would say 9% ? which would bring the MSRP down to 31,000 is that practical?

**Also I plan on ordering my Jeep factory build will that make my offering a little more flexible?**

#2 ·
I have never gone through an internet/sales fleet so I have no idea how they work

I just got a JKU last week that was purchased through a traditional dealer and they REALLY did not want to budge at all

Mine is a Sahara with tow package, a manual and the basic sat nav radio that was MSRP at just over 38k I got it for just over 35

That was after weeks of going back and forth, and going to several different dealers

If you are comfortable at 31 then I would say offer them 31. It is a negotiation, if they don't like the numbers they will just say no

Also, sales price may not be the only factor. See what they are giving for a trade in, is there any wiggle room in additional fees like destination charges, what is the finance rates etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
By far the easiest method of you're building is up contact them and give them the exact specs of what you want to order and say you plan on using an affiliate code.

Ask them for a copy of the build order form. It should give you MSRP as well as affiliate and employee pricing.

Join Tread Lightly ($100) level and in 30 days you get your affiliate code.

It will take more than 30 days got your order to come in and you'll be good.

Anyway affiliate pricing is 1% below invoice plus a $75 doc fee.

This is how I ordered my 2016 JKU Sahara (manual, 3.73 Trac-Lok rear/max tow, black hardtop, saddle leather, Nav, Alpine) with an MSRP of about $41k and an affiliate price of about $38k.

That said it only saved me a couple hundred from what the same dealer would have negotiated too, meaning invoice.

Remember even at invoice there dealer is still making a couple grand on holdback anyway.

So alternately if you're not worried about 1% then just contact the internet sales guy and say you're looking to order a JKU and are willing to pay something under invoice, either give them all options and a figure or ask them for "best price" and compare to other offers.

Lastly based on my numbers I would say invoice is about 6.5-7% under MSRP assuming similar numbers on a 2017 as a 2016.

#4 ·
Find a high volume dealer, they are more willing to negotiate on a Wrangler. Many dealers won't as Wranglers are in demand.

You may not be able to get anyone to move on one, if that happens, the affiliate code is the best way to get one below MSRP. Check to see if your employer is an affiliate. Many are. If they are, you can get their affiliate number and then get the affiliate coupon which guarantees you 1% below dealer invoice plus the $75 program fee. If not, go the Tread Lightly route Kev mentioned above. If there are any current incentives available at the time of delivery, you get those in addition to the affiliate price.

#6 ·
That might hold true on other models, but since the JK is supposed to be built concurrently with the JL for a little while, and considering some (many?) of the old guard that helo keep Wrangler prices high may shun the JL for a while likely means that won't work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.