Possible purchase of 2000 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Possible purchase of 2000 Cherokee

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
CapnJack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Possible purchase of 2000 Cherokee

Edit 11/25/07

I am looking at a 2000 Cherokee with 70,000 miles on it.

Records indicate that it was well-maintained (oil changed every 5,000 miles and transmission service at correct intervals) but it still has a very slightly leaking valve cover gasket, a slightly leaking rear main seal and a "weeping" rear differential.

Are these normal for a well-maintained Cherokee with 70,000 miles or do they indicate other problems? The interior and exterior are in exceptional shape and it doesn't look abused but looks well-maintained.

I know that the valve cover gasket is an easy fix and the dealer is fixing the seal on the differential but I don't know what a slight leak from the rear main seal could mean in the future? Thanks.

Jack

Last edited by CapnJack; 11-25-2007 at 08:20 AM..
CapnJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

when looking at a jeep i consider the maintenance to be #1 on my priority list. the XJ drivetrain (properly maintained) can last 300k+, so if you buy, just buy one that you know has been maintained. It will treat you better down the road. On the XJ's the other stuff can be fixed relatively inexpensively so i wouldn't worry about that as much as the maintenance.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
CapnJack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

But what causes a rear main seal to leak

I have searched for rear main seal leak and read all the posts and replies. I only saw one person mention a possible reason for the seals leaking (crank shaft wobble or something).

I don't mind buying a Jeep with 72000 with a little leak as long as it isn't something big causing it.

Has anyone ever determined what causes the rear main seals to leak other than a lousy design?

Jack
Unread 11-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

as far as i know its lousy design and age, there are many rear main seal leaks its just something we have to deal with, you can DIY its a bit of a PITA but it can be done.

-Kyle
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBotYet
Edit 11/25/07

I am looking at a 2000 Cherokee with 70,000 miles on it.

Records indicate that it was well-maintained (oil changed every 5,000 miles and transmission service at correct intervals) but it still has a very slightly leaking valve cover gasket, a slightly leaking rear main seal and a "weeping" rear differential.

Are these normal for a well-maintained Cherokee with 70,000 miles or do they indicate other problems? The interior and exterior are in exceptional shape and it doesn't look abused but looks well-maintained.

I know that the valve cover gasket is an easy fix and the dealer is fixing the seal on the differential but I don't know what a slight leak from the rear main seal could mean in the future? Thanks.

Jack
The rear main on XJ's are known to leak. Its a common thing that seems to happen to the majority of them. My XJ with 105K will drip a drop or so every now and then from the rear main. If you know the oil was changed regularly and other fluids maintained, I say go for it, 70,000 mi on a 4.0L is just breaking it in! Jeeps are like old school Harleys, they are known to mark their territory a bit!
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
CapnJack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys,

I'm going to buy it but I just want to make sure before I did that it didn't necessarily mean a bad crank or worse. There was so much talk on the forum about replacing the seal and almost none about the reasons. So I guessed it was a bad design.

I'm probably picking it up on Monday or Tuesday so I'll post pics when I do.

Thanks again.

Jack
Unread 11-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

congrats, you defiantly wont be sorry with your decision

-Kyle
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
when looking at a jeep i consider the maintenance to be #1 on my priority list. the XJ drivetrain (properly maintained) can last 300k+, so if you buy, just buy one that you know has been maintained. It will treat you better down the road. On the XJ's the other stuff can be fixed relatively inexpensively so i wouldn't worry about that as much as the maintenance.

-Kyle
I actually know someone who owns a 90's cherokee.

It has 307k.

hahaha
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:36 AM   #9
CapnJack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That's great! After I pick up mine with 70,000 I have 230,000 miles to go to beat that record. There are several threads here about high miles but you have to search to find them. Maybe a sticky or section with photos and verified mileage?
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
CapnJack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Need to change my forum name from NotBotYet

Picked up my 2000 Cherokee Classic this afternoon. Unfortunately I won't be able to do any work on it until the weekend.

Now I need to change my forum name but I don't know how to do that?
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Picked up my 2000 Cherokee Classic this afternoon. Unfortunately I won't be able to do any work on it until the weekend.

Now I need to change my forum name but I don't know how to do that?
buy a membership for JF and you can do that

-Kyle
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #12
CapnJack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Done

And I would have upgraded anyway because of the help you guys have been before I even bought a Jeep.
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #13
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Done

And I would have upgraded anyway because of the help you guys have been before I even bought a Jeep.
well congrats

now you can go into your account settings and change your name as you like.

-Kyle
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:07 AM   #14
CapnJack
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That was easy

Jack
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:50 AM   #15
Renegade_Rick

"weeping" rear differential?? Humm I hope that it's just around the diff cover or plug. If your rear is a d35 and it's leaking around where the axe tubes go into the pumpkin it's not good news. So do check that out. Leaky valve covers and main seals are nomral. Just don't use syenthic oil untill you get them fixed. Syenthic oil can make leaks worse. Post any other questions in the cherokee tech forum. Thouse dudes have helped me a ton on my 99xj. Enjoy the jeep dude!

R

1999, Sport, 4-door, 4L-I6, AW4 auto, np231, 8.25 rear, dana 30 h-p.

BFG T/A KO P235 tires, KC 130w slimline lights, skid-row t-case skid more to come!
Renegade_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.