possible first xj - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

possible first xj

found a 89 cheroke laredo not too bad looking has skyjacker 3" lift with shocks, new 31" tires on american racing black rims, 4.0 automatic, new after market exhaust not sure what kind, new brakes and rotors, brake booster, radiator, new head for sure. he claims 15k to 20k on the motor but he told me the guy he bought it off of put the motor in and rebuilt the tranny but he has no proof of any of it. block its self was dirty looking there was oil on the valve cover but the head was clean you could see the new gaskets. he had it somewhat warmed up when i got there, kinda of weird. 163k on the gauge cluster. seemed to be idling kinda funny up and down with a slight sputter. he wants $2100 for it. what do you guys think? the rockers are roughted out in the back. seemed like the shackle mounts were ok, has sun roof, interior was decent. i would say it probably has 163 on it and hes considering the new head a rebuild or something. let me know what you think. its going to be my first jeep. i had a couple bronco's before and sold them cause all i did was work on them. i dont want to get into the same thing again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 PM
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hmm well if you don't wanna buy something you're gonna be fixing constantly, my best advice is to spend a little more and possibly go for something with less than 100k on it. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for, and though I've seen many an XJ surpass 200k easy, there's no telling how badly that one has been beaten. Sounds a bit shady to me, but I guess that's just me.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

2k for an 89! no way! I paid 6k for a 2001 limited with 50k miles! I have seen 97's and 98's with around 70k miles go for 3k or less! Honestly, with the engine issues I would offer $900 if its clean inside, not much you can do for a 20 year old exterior.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-07-2009, 11:39 PM
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

just checked kbb (cause Im bored as hell haha). in perfect condition its worth what he's asking!
post #5 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 AM
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeh that's what I was on about. My first vehicle was a 92 XJ with 90k miles in mint condition. Thing was garage kept, brand new tires had the paper still stuck on the treads. Picked it up for 4 and that was back in 2004 lol so yea, I'd keep looking if I were in your shoes.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

so keep looking then. the whole engine thing was really shady. hes trying to make his money back for the motor tranny and other things that someone else did. i guess i just want it cause it looks really cool. if he bites at 1800 should i still pass it up? he said its been sitting for about a year and no one showed cash i figured he would take it.found a couple more im trying to go look at tonight. we'll see how it goes i guess. trying to get one before christmas.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

how long do these motors really last? im seeing nothing but above 200k miles for 2 or 3grand and a 3 inch lift. are these people really gettin that much for them? im seeing 98 200+k wranglers with lift and tires for $6000 seems to me the price never depreciates. just seems kinda expensive for something thats been beatin offroad lol.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wranglers are one of the best vehicles period for holding it's value (as a percentage). The only thing rated higher right now is the Porsche Carrera Turbo. My best advice is that you look for an XJ or TJ/YJ or whatever, without any lift. I got mine, a 2000 TJ on July 3rd, last year with 60k miles. Paid 10k for it, garage kept etc. My reasoning behind desiring a stock, babied vehicle is the simple fact that when I modify it and something breaks, I instantly know where to look and how to fix it. If you buy something that's already been beaten on and worn, and something goes haywire, you get to play the guess and check game. Spending the extra few $ to get a low miles 91+ XJ will be well worth it in the long run for you, but I guess that's just my personal preference. But yes, Wranglers are going to be more expensive than other comparable Jeeps.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

oh... that sounds good. im just gonna hold off and try to get something in better condition. found a 90 cherokee 4.0 auto. 149k gonna go look at it tomorrow after work wants $1500 for it. no lift some new parts. see how this goes. this would be the renix? fuel injection? good bad? whats the deal with the grand cherokee? they are dirt cheap a 98 with 140k for $1800 loaded. im looking for a decent reliable vehicle having twins soon so it has to be safe for them but i still want to be able to go offroad and stuff. no rocks or deep mud pits mostly trails, quad trails, truck trails, camping. plus the v8 cherokee would be kinda cool any usefull info on the grand cherokee? kinda researched it people are kinda either or but my jeep friend tells me to stay away from the zj. im thinking about a 31" tire with 3" or 4" of lift. kinda like the cherokee better, but seen a grand cherokee lifted with 31's today it looked pretty cool. thoughts?
post #10 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
lopedgrider
1993 ZJ 

well i can tell you from personal experience from having both a zj now and a xj before i bought my 94 xj off one of my buddies it had about 160k on it wasnt bad had one issue was it didnt start sometimes (i was too lazy to change the neutral safety switch) and it was lifted 4.5" with 33"s and i had no trouble except for the usual jeep things that go I.E. wheel bearings,water pump,u-joints etc stupid small stuff my advice seeing how i own a zj now and have owned a xj before is i would go with a zj all day long unless i had that money to get a tj only reason being is their more comfortable on long rides theres more space inside the cab and its all coils like a tj so you can lift it to the hills and still out flex most yjs,cjs and xjs i run my 93 zj with no lift and 31" bfg mud terrains but like kenny says you need to really look at it and spend time listening to it and just going over it good i bought mine off a kid that didnt know anything about vehicles at all so i got mine dirt cheap for only $160 lol but the wheel bearings where shot and the front axle needed new bearings but i love my zj if you do go wiht a zj go with a limited version ppl say the transfer cases are junk but i beat mine and its fine and i got 170k on it
post #11 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
fullhouse

Quote:
found a 89 cheroke laredo not too bad looking has skyjacker 3" lift with shocks, new 31" tires on american racing black rims, 4.0 automatic, new after market exhaust not sure what kind, new brakes and rotors, brake booster, radiator, new head for sure. he claims 15k to 20k on the motor but he told me the guy he bought it off of put the motor in and rebuilt the tranny but he has no proof of any of it. block its self was dirty looking there was oil on the valve cover but the head was clean you could see the new gaskets. he had it somewhat warmed up when i got there, kinda of weird. 163k on the gauge cluster. seemed to be idling kinda funny up and down with a slight sputter. he wants $2100 for it. what do you guys think? the rockers are roughted out in the back. seemed like the shackle mounts were ok, has sun roof, interior was decent. i would say it probably has 163 on it and hes considering the new head a rebuild or something. let me know what you think. its going to be my first jeep. i had a couple bronco's before and sold them cause all i did was work on them. i dont want to get into the same thing again.
the price is not pair, did you ask for a lower price for that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like the zj might be better for me then. with 2 kids on the way might make for a better family vehicle/weekend warrior. we'll see how this goes tomorrow with the 90 xj. im kinda diggin the v8 but is one better then the other? theres like 3 v8 motors i think. 4.7 5.9 4.2? something like that or is the i6 better?

fullhouse - i offered him 1800 while i was there. seeing it there was still alot wrong with it. tcase leaked oil all over the valve cover, rear axle pinion leaked, rear hatch was crazy to open, hatch struts were shot, windshield was tinited and is illegal, seeling was falling, brokin buttons inside. he called me 2 hours later and said hed take 2100 instead of 2195. i explained to him i had 1800 cash from selling my bronco and couldnt spend any more and havent heard from him since. after looking some more i dont think i would buy it for $1500. ive found way better for what hes asking.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 AM
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeh good on ya, and, this is just my personal opinion, but the I6 is the greatest thing Chrysler has ever created, and perhaps the only great thing they've created in the last 35 years to be honest. Regardless, though, I'm sure the V8's are solid, basically go for whatever suits your needs. The I6 isn't known for great gas mileage but I doubt the 8 cylinders are either. I'm averaging about 17 in my TJ between city miles and highway miles. Having said that, my XJ also had the I6 and did about the same MPG. Thing was a tank on wheels and loved every bit of it, and with twins on the way it would definitely be more practical for you than a YJ/TJ. I'd say snoop around New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader.com for a 92-96 XJ or a 97-98 ZJ. Also don't forget that there's a classified section on the forums, and also, craigslist is your friend.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
hifooy07
1992 YJ Wrangler 

bought the one i looked at today. its a 90 xj 4.0 automatic with 146k on it. black 4 door. the rockers are not roughted out no real rust anywhere little surface rust on the bottom of the door. transmision was just serviced. had some oil on the valve cover she said the tube broke that goes from the valve cover to the intake box and oil went everywhere. the valve cover gasket leaks for sure but she had the new gasket just needs put on. 4wd works but when you turn to the left hard i heard grinding looked under neath and the u joint was just about shot. other then that she ran like a champ really really peppy compared to my bronco with a straight 6. had plenty of power going up a steep hill didnt over heat. im gonna pick it up tomorrow. gonna change the u joints and valve cover tomorrow. change the oil do a tune up. needs 4 tires for sure. will 31" tires fit stock height or do i need a little lift? i have a set of 31" tires. im very excited to get started with this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.