Please Help! 2007 vs. 2005 Rubicon? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Please Help! 2007 vs. 2005 Rubicon?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

View Poll Results: Which Wrangler is right for me?
2007 1 11.11%
2005 Rubicon 7 77.78%
2005 Unlimited 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Spisters

Please Help! 2007 vs. 2005 Rubicon?

Hello fellow Jeepers,
I have finally talked my wife into allowing me to buy a Jeep!!!! However now I have a dilemma, there seem to be a lot of decent choices but no standouts. Here are the ones I am looking at tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

Background info: The Jeep will be used as a daily driver, I won't be wheeling it hard for a couple of years at least, while I pay off the loan and make it possible to pick up a backup vehicle. I'm no mechanic but I am decent with a wrench, if I have a guide with some pictures I can usually figure it out, though it will take me longer then it would someone with more experience. There is a significant willingness to learn, though not as much time as I would like.

1. 2007 Jeep Wrangler "Mountain Xtreme" (whatever that means) with 56600 miles has the 3.8 with a 6 speed manual. - $14500

2. 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with 128,000 miles and has the 4.0 with a 6 speed manual. Air, CD, cruise, outside temp and compass, Locking differential, Teraflex suspension, after market rear bumper. It says Teraflex suspension, but it does not look like it has any lift. - $13000

3. 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 101,000 miles, has the 4.0 with a 6 speed manual. - $12,990

My concern for the 07 is the 3.8, everyone seems to hate it, also it lacks the dana 44 front axle that the 05 rubi has, though the rubi is two years older with double the milage. The Unlimited is just a wild card, I know that those longer tubs are desirable for their extra cargo space.

Please let the opinions fly.

Spisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

i get the rubicon in a heartbeat without thinking, all the rest are just decals, the rubicon is the only model with better mechanical parts
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Get a TJ! Get the Rubicon! I bought mine earlier this year to use as a DD and couldn't imagine having anything else. I will assume we are of a similar mechanical aptitude. Technically inexperienced in certain areas, but more than capable. TJ's are very easy to work on and there is a tremendous amount of information out there for maintenance and upgrades.Everything about them is well known and documented.
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Go with the TJ or LJ. The problem with the 07 JK's is a oil consumption issue. Owners were losing a quart a week and have no leaks anywhere. It is a well known problem, the early 08's had the same issue also.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Spisters

Hi Guys,
I drove them all and went with the Rubicon!!! Not only was it the nicest driving, but I got it for the unbelievable price of $10,500!!!! I lucked out and the check engine light came on during the test drive. I had checked the oil and knew it was low, I told the guy that might be it, but I also told him it could be something way worse. I got it home, changed the oil, spark plugs, air filter and cleaned the battery and boom, no check engine light. I couldn't be happier.
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Very nicely done. And you made the right choice!

The lockers work, right?
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Spisters

I did hit the lockers button and the lights came on. But I am not sure how to properly test them.
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You made a good choice and got a pretty good price from the sound of it. You will love the Rubicon! Mines a 05 LJ Rubicon and I wouldn't trade it, especially for an 07 JK....
Dan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spisters View Post
I did hit the lockers button and the lights came on. But I am not sure how to properly test them.
Push once to engage the rear. Push again the engage the front. Flashing lights mean they are engaging. Solid means locked. Lift the switch once and twice to unlock each axle.

Find a gravel road to test them out. Steering will become increasingly difficult with one or both locked.

Never lock the axles on the street or you will very likely break something while making a turn!
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Spisters

I will test them tonight and report back! If the light continues to flash for a long time, is there anything I can try to do to aid them locking in?
Unread 10-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If the light keeps flashing and the compressors keep pumping, you most likely have leaky air lines. Both of mine where split on both ends when I bought the jeep. Pull the hoses and find out. Cut off the split and reattach. Replace the hoses if needed.

It they still don't work, the leak may be inside the diff. You'll have to research that one. I haven't had to go that far too fix mine yet. But it is well documented.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Spisters

Good News Everyone!
While I didn't have the opportunity to give the lockers a great test, I did turn them on while in the garage. The rear locker came right on, no flashing. The front locker flashed until I put the Jeep into gear and moved just a little bit and then it was solid. I moved a little more, it felt very different so I think they are working. This weekend I will have more of an opportunity to get off cement and test them a bit more. I didn't want to move much more then a few inches in the garage because I didn't want to brake anything. I also got under the jeep and sprayed some Blaster on the fill and drain plug for the transmission. It will be getting some Royal Purple this weekend as well.
I think when I do that I'll take a lot of pictures and start a build thread, it will take years to get this thing where I want, but man is this fun!

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
Dan69

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sometimes takes mine a min to lock. Rolling a little helps out when it struggles, but I've never had a problem with it engaging.
Dan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Same here. I wish the rear was a little quicker to lock. The front settles in right away. Fortunately, I've never needed to rely on them yet.

I'm due for a gear oil change. Maybe that will help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.