Overland vs limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Overland vs limited

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
sasohomes

Overland vs limited

2014 models.
Is the money difference really worth it?
Also how do you guys feel about a v6 model vs v8 model.

The price package of overland is about 4-7 grand more than the limited...

sasohomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Deserteagle83
2012 JK Wrangler 

IMHO the Overland is worth every penny of the premium that they charge over the limited. It's an entirely different vehicle. I own a 2011 Overland and decided to rent a limited on a business trip. I was AMAZED how much better my Overland was over the rental. The suspension on the overland alone is worth the premium. The rest of it is niceties that you either love or can do without. Personally I think that heated steering wheels and heated/cooled seats are AWESOME. If those are things that you can do without then the limited might be more up your alley. Also, I'd recommend test driving both. The air-ride suspension on the Overland is capable off road and ride like butter on road.
Deserteagle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
shanhuber

A fully loaded limited (with Lux 2 pack, and OR 2 pack) comes close to the overland. Go to the Jeep website and compare. Personally, I ordered the overland.
shanhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Do you tow

If you are planning on towing the old school heavy Chrysler V8 might work for you. If not the V6 might work. Test drive both models for an extended period of time on routes similar to what you drive every day.

How often will you go off road? I am off road once to twice a week and I dont need the air suspension. At its highest setting the ride can be pretty stiff and rough.

Just remember Chrysler's corporate V8 has not kept up with the competition from Ford and GM. Its heavy and has dual spark plugs. Both GM and Ford's V8s have aluminum blocks while Chrysler's is still old school cast iron. Chrysler just hasnt spent the R&D dollars that Ford and GM have on V8s. Oh and one other thing it aint a hemi.

You have to decide what options are important for you! I didnt need the Lux package II and I rarely if ever used the sunroofs in previous vehicles I owned.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
TheDon427

I just bought an Overland about 2 weeks ago and was in the same situation.

I went with the Overland over a fully equipped Limited because I feel that the resale value on an Overland would be a bit better than a Limited model, even with every option. I also like the leather dash and other subtle differences between the two. I went with a black exterior with the saddle brown interior and my wife and I absolutely love it so far.

Another thing I wanted to mention was that during all of my research and homework on the WK2, from everything I read, I had convinced myself I was definitely getting the V6 and didn't even consider the V8 because of most people saying it's not worth it or necessary unless you tow, and I don't tow.

I went for my first test drive in a V6 model, and that was a very big let down. In fact, I was so disappointed that when I got home, my wife was all smiles, asking how I liked it and I just said "I don't know, I don't know if a Grand Cherokee is for me." (I've had 3 Cherokee's and all 3 were obviously a 6 cylinder, and I've never owned a V8 before.) On the test drive, as soon as I got to a wide open road, I put the pedal to the floor and... nothing. Absolutely nothing. The v6 had no get up (to me) and didn't start moving until the RPM's were above 5k. The salesman tried justifying it by saying that the Pentastar is a highway motor and has enough power to pass other vehicles if you're already at highway speeds. Not what I was expecting, and I even told my wife "it didn't feel like a $40,000 vehicle, I wouldn't have even paid $30,000 for it." The lack of power and acceleration made it feel like an ordinary SUV with leather seats. It could have been a Rav4 or a Hyundai if it didn't have a Jeep badge.

The next day, a local dealer just got an Overland in on a lease return, black with saddle brown like I wanted, but with the hemi. I decided to go and test drive it that day just because I was curious. I didn't even intend on buying it, I just wanted to see what the V8 felt like. I'm about 200 lb, my buddy that went with me is about 250 lb, and the salesman was about 180 lb. As soon as I buckled myself in, I told the salesman that I was going to get on it a bit to feel the acceleration (if any) that it has, and he said it was fine. As soon as I hit the gas, all 3 of us went back in our seats and I smiled ear to ear for the rest of the 30 minute test drive. I put a deposit on it right then. Having that V8 made it feel like it was a $40k vehicle. My last couple of cars were 4 cyl Subaru's, but one had 400 hp and the other had 300 hp, so I'm a bit used to having some get up and go power.

To me, if I just wanted a boring, mindless SUV with leather seats just to shuttle my wife and I around and get no enjoyment out of, I probably wouldn't have went with a WK2. I can't justify paying that kind of money for something that's just ok, and that's what the V6 felt like to me. It was just ok, nothing special. However, once I got behind the wheel of the V8, I was in love. It's my favorite vehicle that I've owned so far, and I personally wouldn't buy one with the V6.

That's just me, and I'm not trying to say the V6 is a bad choice or anything. It was just weird how from everything that I read on paper and on the forums, I had convinced myself that the V6 was the way to go. However, I didn't like it one bit when I test drove it and when I test drove an Overland with the V8, I ended up loving it and put a deposit on it right then and there. You just have to go out and test drive what you like and take everything you read with a grain of salt because nobody knows you better than you. I don't tow, I don't go rock crawling, and it's just my daily driver to go to and from work 65 miles daily... and I still went with the V8. Go figure.
TheDon427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
If you are planning on towing the old school heavy Chrysler V8 might work for you. If not the V6 might work. Test drive both models for an extended period of time on routes similar to what you drive every day.

How often will you go off road? I am off road once to twice a week and I dont need the air suspension. At its highest setting the ride can be pretty stiff and rough.

Just remember Chrysler's corporate V8 has not kept up with the competition from Ford and GM. Its heavy and has dual spark plugs. Both GM and Ford's V8s have aluminum blocks while Chrysler's is still old school cast iron. Chrysler just hasnt spent the R&D dollars that Ford and GM have on V8s. Oh and one other thing it aint a hemi.

You have to decide what options are important for you! I didnt need the Lux package II and I rarely if ever used the sunroofs in previous vehicles I owned.
You are closing in on 1000 posts dave, I want to know, how many of them are posts like this? I'm almost willing to bet half of them are either anti hemi posts or anti goodyear post or anti EPA posts.

To the op. If you can afford the overland get that if it is what you really want. You don't want to buy a vehicle and then regret your decision a month later, by that point getting what you really want will cost you twice as much between the hit on your trade and the initial upgrade costs to the overland.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #7
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon427 View Post
I just bought an Overland about 2 weeks ago and was in the same situation.

I went with the Overland over a fully equipped Limited because I feel that the resale value on an Overland would be a bit better than a Limited model, even with every option. I also like the leather dash and other subtle differences between the two. I went with a black exterior with the saddle brown interior and my wife and I absolutely love it so far.

Another thing I wanted to mention was that during all of my research and homework on the WK2, from everything I read, I had convinced myself I was definitely getting the V6 and didn't even consider the V8 because of most people saying it's not worth it or necessary unless you tow, and I don't tow.

I went for my first test drive in a V6 model, and that was a very big let down. In fact, I was so disappointed that when I got home, my wife was all smiles, asking how I liked it and I just said "I don't know, I don't know if a Grand Cherokee is for me." (I've had 3 Cherokee's and all 3 were obviously a 6 cylinder, and I've never owned a V8 before.) On the test drive, as soon as I got to a wide open road, I put the pedal to the floor and... nothing. Absolutely nothing. The v6 had no get up (to me) and didn't start moving until the RPM's were above 5k. The salesman tried justifying it by saying that the Pentastar is a highway motor and has enough power to pass other vehicles if you're already at highway speeds. Not what I was expecting, and I even told my wife "it didn't feel like a $40,000 vehicle, I wouldn't have even paid $30,000 for it." The lack of power and acceleration made it feel like an ordinary SUV with leather seats. It could have been a Rav4 or a Hyundai if it didn't have a Jeep badge.

The next day, a local dealer just got an Overland in on a lease return, black with saddle brown like I wanted, but with the hemi. I decided to go and test drive it that day just because I was curious. I didn't even intend on buying it, I just wanted to see what the V8 felt like. I'm about 200 lb, my buddy that went with me is about 250 lb, and the salesman was about 180 lb. As soon as I buckled myself in, I told the salesman that I was going to get on it a bit to feel the acceleration (if any) that it has, and he said it was fine. As soon as I hit the gas, all 3 of us went back in our seats and I smiled ear to ear for the rest of the 30 minute test drive. I put a deposit on it right then. Having that V8 made it feel like it was a $40k vehicle. My last couple of cars were 4 cyl Subaru's, but one had 400 hp and the other had 300 hp, so I'm a bit used to having some get up and go power.

To me, if I just wanted a boring, mindless SUV with leather seats just to shuttle my wife and I around and get no enjoyment out of, I probably wouldn't have went with a WK2. I can't justify paying that kind of money for something that's just ok, and that's what the V6 felt like to me. It was just ok, nothing special. However, once I got behind the wheel of the V8, I was in love. It's my favorite vehicle that I've owned so far, and I personally wouldn't buy one with the V6.

That's just me, and I'm not trying to say the V6 is a bad choice or anything. It was just weird how from everything that I read on paper and on the forums, I had convinced myself that the V6 was the way to go. However, I didn't like it one bit when I test drove it and when I test drove an Overland with the V8, I ended up loving it and put a deposit on it right then and there. You just have to go out and test drive what you like and take everything you read with a grain of salt because nobody knows you better than you. I don't tow, I don't go rock crawling, and it's just my daily driver to go to and from work 65 miles daily... and I still went with the V8. Go figure.
Since you say you were driving a V6 with saddle you must have driven a 13 instead of a 14. My wife and I felt the same exact way as you about the V6 when we drove a 13. It was her dream vehicle and after driving it she didn't even want one. We ended up ordering a 14 though with a V6 a week later because I knew the gearing was horrible for the 11 to 13 v6's. We were blown away how much difference the 8 speed and higher rear gear made. Aside from the issues we have had with the radio and rattles we love it though.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.