Opinions on a Jeep! newbie here. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Opinions on a Jeep! newbie here.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off Road

Unread 03-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
Mrkg

Opinions on a Jeep! newbie here.

Hello all,

Finally started working a job where I am making enough money (engineering internship) to buy my first car. Of course I always wanted a wrangler since I was a kid, so I refuse to get anything but that.

Here is the deal and I want some honest opinions. I found a post on craigslist for an 05 wrangler sport TJ with 60,000 miles. But it does have a salvage title ( a tree fell on it and hit the hard top, door and hood, no engine damage.) The owner managed to fix it up in great condition and it a beautiful impact orange with a bikini top, (Ill have to buy a soft top and would appreciate recommendations) and looks great. He is selling it for 11,9000 or 12,500 after i buy the softtop and he seems like a honest seller. The kicker was I called him asking if it had the death wobble and since he only drove it in the summer on back roads he didnt know, sure enough it did. So he is fixing that now and I hope to god he calls me after it is fixed so I can buy it. Does it sound like a good deal? or will trying to trade it in down the road for a new wrangler be a killer because of the title?
Thanks, from a future fellow Jeeper.

Mrkg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd stay away from anything with a salvage title TBH.
Salvage titles don't happen from seemingly minor body damage like that.
The vehicle would have to be damaged enough to be considered a total loss in order for that title to be issued.
I can't see an insurance company writing off an entire vehicle for a hood, door and hard top.

The pricing doesn't reflect the salvage title imo.
That title will also haunt you when you go to trade it in or sell it.
fwiw, Kelly Blue Book doesn't even offer a valuation for vehicles with salvage titles.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
brockj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The $12,500 sounds like the price of a 60,000 mile tj without a salvaged title. A salvaged title should be about half that.
brockj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Mrkg

Thanks for the responses guys. Really appreciate it.
Mrkg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2005 , advice , opinions wanted , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.