Noob needing some help... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Noob needing some help...

ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-18-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
HWY12XJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Noob needing some help...

Hi all! I apologize if I'm asking the same questions that have been asked over and over again, but I'm new to the Jeep world (and the 4x4 world for that matter).

I've found a '93 XJ 2dr, auto trans. Only showing 115,xxx on the clock. I'm assuming (well, hoping) that it has the 4.0L, although I don't know for sure right now because it's at a dealer (one of those "You work, You ride" deals). It has a NP231 (I've been reading... impressed? ), I'm pretty sure anyway, because the shift pattern is 2H-4H-N-4L.

Now... just a few quick questions for you guys.

#1. Any way to tell what engine by the VIN? I did stop and get that much info.

#2. I have a connection to a guy at this dealer. I called him, he called dealer guy, and dealer guy told him that he'd give it to me for $1,200-$1,500 depending on what he paid for it (he didn't remember off hand). Good deal?

#3. Most importantly, when I go test drive this thing, what are some things to check out. I'm very mechanically inclined, and know quite a bit about vehicles, so I know all the obvious things. But what are some known concerns on these things?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me, and thanks for bearing with a XJ Noob.

HWY12XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

yes it has the np231

that is a very fair price that he is offering you, 1200 would be a very good buy.

things to look for would be leaky rear main seal, make sure fluids are topped off, and go test out the 4wd.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
HWY12XJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Well.... I bought it. No pics yet. Haven't picked it up, but I'm trying my best to go get it tonight. Ran great, shifted great, 4wd worked great... Got it for$1500. I can't wait to go play around in this thing!
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

well congratulations on your purchase, get some pics on JF asap. also take a browse in the XJ tech section for a wealth of XJ information.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
HWY12XJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Kyle. I've been lurking around here for a while, and all the XJ wheeling pics are what finally made up my mind to get one. Plus, the bonus factor that these things seem to be relatively bullet-proof. I'll hopefully have some pics up this weekend. Gotta go really make sure the 4wd works!

Thanks again for the welcome, and I'll see you in the XJ forum!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.