newbie needs advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > newbie needs advice

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Encoreman

newbie needs advice

Hi guys, wife and I are looking at getting our 1st jeep just before our retirement! Pricing jeeps has made my head hurt. Why are some 89 xj's priced at $9,000 and 99-01 tj Sahara's running $7,500-9,000. Do the tj's ride any better or are they buggy sprung also? I am wanting a stock unmolested, not mud bogged specimen to begin with. I am even thinking of an older CJ-7. Wife will be a driver, that is when I let her so take that into account. I know I don't want a 4 banger. Any help is appreciated, thanks Mac.

Encoreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The higher priced older machines should be completely restored and in near perfect condition, OR some shade-tree dufuss could be trying to recoup his cost for jacking it up four feet and putting monster-truck tires under it. Older jeeps are a money pit, new ones less so. Go to Kelly Blue Book for newer Jeep pricing info. The TJ and newer jeeps have coil spring suspensions and ride better than the older YJ and CJ's which have leaf springs. Whatever you go for, make sure there is NO rust anywhere! Easy to find in your area, but many older Jeeps from up north are rusted out hulks.
Don't completely discount the 4 cylinder either. They are tough little dudes and are perfectly adequate for non mountain driving; just as long as you run stock sized or 31 tires under it, it will be fine, even at highway speeds. Also the mileage will be a lot better than the six.
If possible, get a completely stock machine. Well cared for TJ specimens easily last 200,000 plus miles, so don't let the higher mileage units scare you away until you check them out. But please realize that Jeeps are not good for long highway trips, towing, or carrying four people around. Look at them as a toy, and you won't be disappointed.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And the CJ may not have power steering and power brakes. Which is a big problem for such a short wheelbased vehicle. Pumping brakes and trying to steer is not fun. Go '97 and up for a Wrangler.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
mhh
1979 CJ7 

Encoreman, you may be luckier than me... depending what you are wanting to do. I bought a 1979 CJ-7, no rust, and in a condition where it drove acceptably. After running it "more than it was used to", I found that a lot of things went wrong. Since then, I have since had to mechanically restore the Jeep. Now that I am done, and it is running well, I am already tired of it! I am now trying to sell it.

I know what you mean, though. I am in Memphis - and it seems like all of the used Jeeps in our area include pictures of it stuck or covered in mud!

If you're not looking for something that you can count on working on, I would go newer. If you want something older, give me a shout!

Good luck in your search!
mhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
mhh
1979 CJ7 

Mac, Here's a picture of my CJ-7. I've got a soft top with doors, as well as a bimini top.

FYI, I should be in the Jackson area next weekend. If you wanted to see it, we could probably find somewhere to meet.
img_1284.jpg  
mhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.