Newbie, looking for buying advise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Newbie, looking for buying advise

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
beakerbload
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Newbie, looking for buying advise

Hi all. I've been reading a lot of threads here over the last 2 months and you all are immensely helpful.

I'm a first time jeep wrangler buyer. I've wanted one ever since I had a concept of owning my own car and have decided to take the plunge. I'm not looking for a rock climber and prefer to just rock as close to stock as possible. Been looking for a couple of months and seen a lot of crappy jeeps. That being said, I think i've found a winner, but would like your opinion.

I live in Boise, ID and Wranglers are fairly popular, so I expect to pay over book. I'm currently looking at a 1987 yj, 6cyl, 4.2L with 118000 original miles. Beautiful original paint with no chips, scratches, or rust. No Rust at all in fact around the body or frame. It leaks not a drop of anything, has new seals installed all around. Comes with 2 sets of doors, half and full, the full metals are black and the halfs match the maroon paint. It has upgraded audio, 5 tires all matching and close to new. Rhinolined tub, original seats and high back racing seats, stock back seat. No AC, but that's fine. Heater, 4wd and all other systems work. Hard top, soft top, cover and bikini top.

This thing is awesome, and I want to buy it. My only concern is it is a carb, not FI. Not a huge deal for me, but emissions testing may not like it. I belive it is the carter carb, but I'm not entirly sure. I need to ask him.

I guess my largest question is what would you consider a fair price for this vehicle? The guy is asking 7000, but I'm confident I could get him down to 6500. Many of the jeeps I've looked at in this price range are not nearly in as good of condition and often have 150k+ miles, even the tj's.

Also, the carb, I presume I will have to rejet it on account my location is 2000 ft lower in elevation than the city it is coming from. Am I correct?

Your input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Here's a couple of pictures.

http://images.craigslist.org/00808_1...bB_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/01414_6...mN_600x450.jpg

beakerbload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't want to be the naysayer here, but I would avoid 87-90. Mainly for the carb, but also for the transmission. Also anything over $4500 is crazy in my opinion, no matter how clean it is. You can find nice TJs for that price if you don't mind traveling a bit. It does look like a nice Jeep though.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks good, but the prior poster was correct on the price. Check for rust UNDER the rhino liner, as it can cover up some real damage. Also you should pay very little more for a newer model with fuel injection and save yourself future headaches. I too found lots of junk when I started looking, but eventually found a perfect one for a lot less than was being asked for the junkers. Stay away from rust and modifications. Take you time. Part of the process is in the search, and a lot of the fun, too. You won't be sorry.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
beakerbload
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've looked at or have had people look at every 87-00 Wrangler 6cyl for sale within 300 miles of my city for the last 2+ months and most of them have major work that needs done. Whether it be transmission, engine, paint or body. The ones that don't have major, multi-thousand dollar issues to fix are even more over book than this one and likely have over 175k miles.

Also, no rust anywhere, undercarriage, pans, etc have all been checked.
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's crazy. I found a 98 TJ 4 cyl with 139k for $4500. Only problem was it didn't have a top. I think its still on Craigslist. You may be better off searching farther away. One way plane tickets aren't too expensive

August YJOTM

Unread 10-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
beakerbload
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, there's 4cyl all day long around here. But I'm not really in the market for a 4cyl. The 6's on the other hand are few and far between in good shape.
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Keep in mind, an MPFI 4 cyl doesn't really have any less power than a 4.2. The 4.2 is only rated somewhere in the neighborhood of 110 hp.

August YJOTM

Unread 10-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Keep in mind, an MPFI 4 cyl doesn't really have any less power than a 4.2. The 4.2 is only rated somewhere in the neighborhood of 110 hp.
You said that you were not going to be using the jeep for off road rock climbing,etc. In that case the 4 cylinder is a fine little dude for commuting back and forth to work and weekend fun. It is one tough little unit, and many go well over 200,000 miles with little trouble. If you are not going to jack it up and put monster tires underneath it or tow heavy loads long distances, I would not hesitate to consider the 2.5. '89 and after models are also fuel injected which saves a ton of problems.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Grand Junction is only like 8 hours away haha

http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/4098148933.html

http://westslope.craigslist.org/bar/4149119941.html

August YJOTM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.