New to YJ's. What is this YJ worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > New to YJ's. What is this YJ worth?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 06-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
underliner6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

New to YJ's. What is this YJ worth?

I have a 2005 Rubicon and have descided i dont like wheeling my daily driver. A friend is considering selling his YJ and is asking 7,000 dollars and wont budge on the price. I hate to pay asking price but it might be worth it. Here are the mods...

Yukon 4.88 gears
Detroit trutrac in front axle
Yukon Chromoly one piece axles in front Dana 30
4.5 Rubicon Express lift kit
Reel front driveshaft
Rear Dana 44 axle out of an XJ with full spool
Arizona driveline rear and front CV driveshafts
Tube Fenders.
LED brake and parking lights.
Three piece top
Mile marker 8k winch
SlipYoke Eliminator
Rock sliders
Stinger and Bumpers with d rings
36 super swamped tsl's
The frame is great with no rust.
The engine has 170,000 miles which is the deal breaker for me. But he says that the plugs, wires, starter, radiator, flowkooler water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, blue top optima battery, air filter have all been replaced and the tranny was rebuilt recently.

I hate to ask this ignorant question, but is this YJ priced right? He wont budge on price and its high mileage, but the body is soo clean and its modded out.

Thanks for all the help and opinions.

-Jim

underliner6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I may have missed it, but what year is the YJ? 4 or 6cyl?
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
underliner6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My bad. 1994 with a 4.0L
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

170k is not a killer on the inline jeep 6 cylinders. owning a newer one, you are probably not aware of that as you probably have low miles, right? i have bought wranglers and grand cherokees with the 4.0 and 200k on them and not had a problem and then resold them for the same price i bought them for a few years down the road. 170k is nothing to worry about.

but 7k is too high, even with all that stuff done to it. if its a 93-95 and mint condition in stock form, then he could probably ask that much because of hte rarity of it but a modded one, no. well, he can ask but he might have it awhile. here, yjs are 3-5k and tjs are 5-9k.
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

IMO, $7k is too high. Not sure what the market for Wranglers is in Ohio, but out here that rig would be closer to $5k.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its really hard too say. A '94 6cyl with that mileage, as long as it is in good condition, will bring $4-5k in stock condition. So, you need to ask yourself, are the "extras" worth an additional $2-3k? If you are wanting a turn-key package that you can start wheeling day one, then it probably is. But $7k is well into TJ range, so it really comes down to what you want.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $7k on the Jeep.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

NOT WORTH IT

it's worth 7k to him, because of all his mods and work. But not to anyone else.
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
underliner6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help guys! Now i feel better about passing up on it. And yes, my TJ has 40k miles on it...

I'm going to keep searching for a YJ though, I have the need for square headlights!
Well thanks again.

-Jim
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
aaron580
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just paid 4800 tonight for one with most of the same things as that one with 146K, pretty much pristine interior, not AS built but VERY close in excellent condition with no rust. I got the best deal I could find on a YJ in my area. Most like this around here will go for over 7k because 4cyl TJs run 5-6500 and 6's run more than that. If I tried I could maybe get 6500 outta this one in my area.
aaron580 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Ohio vehicles sell for less than the surrounding states...something about general neglect and no inspections.

You've got a base that sells for 4k in mint condition, stock.
It's been wheeled obviously.
5000-5500 is realistic, he will probably find a buyer at that price. If he waits long enough.
7k will buy you a tj with those same type of mods.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ONLY 170k? Aha!

That thing just got past it's break in period! 170k on a 4.0 YJ is nothing. Even on a 2.5 it isn't much. Mine had about that and was doing perfectly fine.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
YJPete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Really depends on the area. I'm in southern VA, that rig would go for about $6.5k here, which is close to what he's asking. What you really need to decide is whether it's worth $7k to you.
2.5" on the suspension, 1" on the shackles, 2" on the body, 4.88 Superior Gears, 35" Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, MSD-6 Offroad ignition box, Flowmaster Exhaust, Warn 9.5Ti Winch, Detroit Tru-Trac Front, Detroit Locker Back
YJPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #13
mrwoodman

Bought a 94 wrangler yj at reasonable deal. Came w/ 2 sets of factory wheels and for some reason the previous owner put on a set of 20" wheels w/ low profile tires. Looked rediculous. Removed wheels and am going to sell them. My question is who knows what other vehicles out there have same lug pattern so I can advertise and get these disgraces away from Jeep.
mrwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #14
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know some Ford vehicles have the same lug pattern. Maybe Ranger and Explorer. Advertise those wheels on the Charlotte Craigslist. I'm sure you'll have a buyer.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

why not wheel what you got and buy an honda for a daily driver, your rubicon is way better for wheeling than what you can buy
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , worth , wrangler , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.