New to site!!! But can't wait to get started guess it all begins here! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > New to site!!! But can't wait to get started guess it all begins here!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
foxrrfox

New to site!!! But can't wait to get started guess it all begins here!

I have always wanted a jeep growing up, but never had the income to get me in one. The other day my son and I ( he is 3 yr. old), were driving past the dealership and he asked if he could get a jeep, I replied maybe some day! So A week went by and we pasted the dealership again and he saw the jeep, and said daddy there's my jeep. So I started looking around for a jeep, I decided I wanted to buy a fixer upper, and I know nothing about cars, but I figured it would give my son and I 13 years to figure it out lol.

So here's my question I found a 1980 cj-7 with the lady said a 302 edelbrock and Dana rear end, and it is a four speed. She took me on a ride it squeals real bad but she said the bracket on top of the alternator is not the right bracket once I got a new one it would stop? Also it needs carb work or new ones, it also has a leaky area where the radiator hose goes into the motor she has replaced the gasket several times and it still leaks. She has the old gas can and water can in good shape. Soft and hard doors and soft hard and bikini top all in good condition. None of the gauges work so she doesn't know mileage. She is asking $3000 for it is that a good buy or should I keep looking? please help thank you!

foxrrfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Adam013085

If it is not a rust bucket and everything works for the most part 3k is a pretty good price if you are mechanically inclined and can fix issues yourself. If you will have to take it to a mechanic everytime something breaks down then look for something newer. Look at the frame for rust, Jeeps are notorious for rusty frames.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085 View Post
If it is not a rust bucket and everything works for the most part 3k is a pretty good price if you are mechanically inclined and can fix issues yourself. If you will have to take it to a mechanic everytime something breaks down then look for something newer. Look at the frame for rust, Jeeps are notorious for rusty frames.
Welcome to the forum. My only advice is take your time, search the forum and test drive as many as you can. See if there is a local club that you could join, this can give you wrenching buddies and you may find someone who is upgrading their rig and selling their old one. Anytime someone is selling a Jeep with "little" problems that are "easy" to fix it puts up a red flag for me. Many times they are not as easy as you were hoping they would be otherwise the PO would have fixed it themselves. I agree with the rust especially here in Heartland, when I was looking at old CJ's when I bought my first Jeep I found alot with a ton of rust issuses. Keep surfing JF and keep looking at Jeeps there are deals to be found everywhere, but remember knowledge is power .
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

True if its not a rust bucket, that price is not bad. IF replacing just a alt bracket is a deal breaker, you might be in the market for the wrong vehicle. The jeep is 33 years old it will need things. at that age most of it would need rebuilding.
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
foxrrfox

Thanks everyone! the jeep does have a rusty frame but it doesn't look to bad. I have a great job so at this point spending some money is not a problem to fix it or rebuild it. Actually rebuilding it was my plan. I just didnt know if $3000 was to much to pay to rebuild it, Ad as far as the body it has normal jeep rust as I can see on all the photos I'm looking at. The lady is a single mom and its her daily driver and she said she just can't afford the gas any more
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
foxrrfox

1980 cj7 with a 305

I will be going to take some pics today of the jeep. Please check in later tonight and check them out for me and reply on what you think. I'm still on the fence on it, but ill take some photos and see what you all think! I love the jeep don't get me wrong but now the story is the IRS has her title bc of unpaid taxes in 2009 so I can't just go buy it today she said it will take 7 to 14 days. I've took all of your advice and looked at autotrader, craigslist, autorv, and the web and I can not find a decent fixer upper near Fort Wayne indiana if anyone else has any ideas where I can look also please share thank you.
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is definitely a red flag. In my experience time is your best friend. I have basically flipped my last 4 jeeps and made money on all 4. If you are patient the right Jeep will find you. Keep in mind this is the high season for our area selling jeeps as well. If you wait until the end of summer you can save even more. If you are planning on keeping this jeep 12 plus years and giving it to your little one than what is the big deal with waiting a few more months to get the best possible one?
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
omegacab
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Like jrbrannan said time is your best friend. It took me two months to find my Jeep and the moment i saw it i knew It was mine.
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't touch that jeep something sounds very fishy. I would think they would have confiscated it instead of just holding the title.

Just be patient and wait for the right one. Buying a jeep in summer is a lot like buying a motorcycle in summer it's the prime season and not as many good deals around. I would keep checking craigslist, ebay, auctions, etc. I would buy the nicest jeep that you can afford, and if you're stuck on buying a cj buy one from out of state that isn't a rust bucket. Buying something rust free will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
foxrrfox

Thanks I m taking your advice and not buying it she didn't call or txt me back today. It's getting way to fishy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.