New to Jeeps: Looking to buy a 2000-2001 XJ or WJ; which should it be??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > New to Jeeps: Looking to buy a 2000-2001 XJ or WJ; which should it be???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
jhc5
2001 WJ 

New to Jeeps: Looking to buy a 2000-2001 XJ or WJ; which should it be???

Hi guys,

As you can see this is my first post. I've been lurking these forums for a while and they've been a great resource in learning about Jeeps. Based on my budget, I'm looking to buy a 2000-2001 Cherokee or Grand Cherokee, with under 100k miles. This will be my first Jeep, and its primary uses are to be a second vehicle (backup for daily driver), a camping rig, and hopefully some light to moderate wheeling as I learn the ropes. So a weekend warrior.

Trouble is, I can't seem to decide between a Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. Can you guys give your opinions on which you think would be the better choice in my situation?

-Differences in wheeling capabilities?
-V6 vs V8?
-comfort/quietness in road-mode?
-others?

Thanks, and this forum rocks!

jhc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

1. They are both pretty equal off road, the XJ has more aftermarket support though. The problem with the 00-01 Cherokees is they went to the D30 LP at the earlier XJs had the D30 HP which is much stronger front axle. If I were looking at a Cherokee I would find a 97-99 those are the best years.

2. V8 is much better choice for the GC if you get one. The 4.0L I6 is great motor too but the V8 just has a lot more power. With the XJ the only option is the 4.0L I6.

3. Comfort and quietness goes to the GC, although usually if you are buying a Jeep these aren't high priorities.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
jhc5
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the reply, Max. Its funny, my book on Cherokees and Cherokee mods arrived today, and their main point about the 2000-2001 model was exactly the same as yours, the weaker low pinion axle.

I am a little bit torn because while I do plan on lifting in the future, I'll probably use the Jeep in stock form for a year or two, just so I can take my time saving up for mods and choosing a configuration after getting some time behind the wheel. The Jeep also needs to be a reliable DD for a while. With this in mind, I'm tempted to go for the 2000-2001 models because there seems to be a lot more of them with low miles and in great shape.

I think I'm pretty set on the XJ now. The only thing drawing me to the Grand is the V8, but I like the styling on the XJ a lot; I have to follow my heart. :P

Since I'm new to wheeling and Jeeps: if I went with a 2001 and wanted to swap in a stronger axle in a year or two, is it easy to find a high pinion version?
jhc5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison , wj , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.