New to Jeeps - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

New to Jeeps

Hi everyone, I've been looking on the site for information about jeeps and it has been very helpful. I am looking for a wrangler and i have a few questions. First, what year did the wranglers start coming out with airbags. Also, i do quite a bit of highway driving and was wondering if the 4 cylinder would be OK (I am somewhat of a lead foot) and i would also like to lift it and some bigger tires but nothing extreme. Would i be better off with a hard or soft top. I live right outside of DC so the winters aren't to cold. I don't really care if its a TJ or a YJ. My budget is around $7,000. Thanks for all of your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to drive on the highway, you don't want the 4 cylinder, it sucks at speed. It gets even worse if you have plans to lift it. The airbags came in 97 when the TJ came out, the YJ's never had them. The hardtop, what you need to figure out is how often you want to remove it, and when you do remove it, do you have a place to put it? It requires a helper or a hardtop hoist to get one off. If its your only top, and you have it off in the summer, when it rains you will need to get a buddy to help you get it back on. For 7000$, not sure what prices are like in your area, but you should be able to get a TJ for that, I would. I have a YJ now, and I am selling it to get a TJ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-My business, being self-employed rocks.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
post #3 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all your help. i found this jeep on cars.com and was wondering if you all think it is a good buy or not.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

post #4 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 04:39 PM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't look to bad I don't see any rust, I would work the price a little, the mileage is high but not for a 6 cyl. As stated above if you want to lift it, drive it on the highway you will not want a 4cyl, if you have a lead foot now then with a 4cyl it will be even worse, the really lack power even with a mild lift and tires. even 31 will require a regear.

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
post #5 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The automatics aren't good on the highway either, its only a 3 speed auto.

-My business, being self-employed rocks.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
post #6 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks again for your input. i have been looking into automatics because i have never driven a stick before. is the auto trans also not great for offroading too?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 PM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Automatics are great on road and even better off road just don't get one with a 4cyl. If you get a 6cyl there is nothing wrong with an auto, most prefer them to sticks for medium to difficult off roading trails, but this debate will go on forever, search there are hundreds of manual vs auto threads. The only downside is there is no OD in the 32RH 3spd pre 02 autos, and the second problem is the breather hole is low if you do a lot of deep water fording this can be a problem, but it can be welded shut and retaped for a breather hole relocation else where, if you like driving through deep water. The no OD isn't a huge issue just slightly less MPGs maybe -1 at the most. The gear ratio is more than likely 3.07 which is a good highway ratio not the best for off-road with a big lift and tires though.

Max

4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
post #8 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, i think i will still keep my sights in an auto but if the price is right i might go for the manual. i have a few more questions too. Most of the jeeps i find have the half doors. can you buy full doors for a reasonable price and are they actually worth it? Also i know that i need mirrors when driving with the doors off. can you take the mirrors off the door and attach them to the frame or do you have to buy aftermarket ones? i also like to play golf. would 2 sets of clubs fit in the jeep? thanks again
post #9 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2 sets of golf clubs will fit with no back seat in. Yes full doors are worth, they are quieter, more secure, and warmer in the winter, and they cost a fortune to buy later. As far as mirrors I think you only need one mirror plus the rear view mirror, many hear just attach a bike mirror. And you can scrape the ice off real windows, but you can't with the plastic on the half doors.

Max

post #10 of 11 Old 06-29-2009, 06:30 PM
bigh20rnr

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you can get a jeep with hard doors in your price range it is worth the money. As stated, they are far quieter on the highway. The half doors are great if you plan on running without a top most of the time, but you can just take the full doors off to get the full open air experience. After market mirror relocation brackets are a fairly common way to mount mirrors off the doors and they are not that pricey. Each states mirror requirements are different, there is a FAQ that has each states mirror laws in it in one of the forums here (but I can't remember which one). What is legal up here in Minnesota may not be the same where you live, its best to research the law yourself. Good luck finding a Jeep and hope you get what you want.

Rick

87 YJ 4.2L, Weber 32/36, rear bumper tire carrier, nutter bypass, RE 4 inch lift, SYE, AX 15, lined the body tub
"Baby when you said you wanted a project jeep I expected you to spend a lot of money on it" <---Worlds best wife!!!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
JohnW720
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the help. I've got a few more questions. when i buy a jeep i will probably buy one of those speaker things that go on the roll cage of the jeep. is it possible to change out the speakers on them or are the permanent? if i would leave a jeep in the parking lot without a top on would i need to put a club on the steering wheel or something or are they difficult to hot wire because my 89 Volvo is quite easy to hot wire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.