New Jeep Owner (Potentially) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > New Jeep Owner (Potentially)

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
PresUrLuck
2012 JK Wrangler 

New Jeep Owner (Potentially)

I'm admittedly new to Jeep ownership but have been considering buying one to support my active lifestyle so I apologize in advance for the basic questions however I am looking for some advice before I pull the trigger on getting one and "fully" customizing it. I am planning to use this for everyday driving and am considering buying a 2012 for the purposes of the more powerful engine. I planned on buying a very basic model (Sport S) b/c I plan on stripping most of it to "trick" it out. As a result, I am looking for some advice on a few things:

Tires - What brand would you recommend for daily use (mainly highway/standard road driving) assuming I have a 2'-3' lift and 31-33 in tires? I have been looking at Nitto and Interco but no idea about road noise, durability etc while still obtaining a fairly aggressive look.

Lift - Anything I should know about calibration of speedometer with a lift of only 2'-3' or anything I should know in general about a lift...clueless on this topic other than some minimal knowledge I've gathered from various customization shops in town that I have been talking to.

Running Boards - What's the best looking black running boards for a black Jeep...can't seem to find much out there that's appealing but maybe looking in the wrong place?

With a bigger tire and new wheel (Fuel, XD, Moto Metal) most likely, is there anything I need to know about putting a 5th tire on the back that matches? I have heard about some people saying the tire actually breaks the spare tire rack...sounded odd when I heard it, but again, I am new to this so figured I'd ask b4 learning the hard way.

Just looking to gather some opinions from those who would know more than me and I appreciate whatever advice you can offer up!

PresUrLuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
JACKAL0PE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

As a fellow noob who's also looking at what to buy, I certainly can't help with most of your questions.

However, I have read that the standard spare tire carrier won't support or fit with much larger tires. There are options available though to correct this problem.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...+Carriers&c=48

Good luck with your search.
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
lauderdalechad
2006 WK 

A 2" lift and 33s will be good for a DD plus the trails, you want an all terrain ...Bfg a/ts are top of the line with a long treadlife, quiet, and handle rain and typical off highway adventures great! I highly recommend them, but look at the reviews section on this site and u will learn alot! As far as aftermarket items like lift kits, lights, tube steps and everything in-between quadratec.com has you covered and there are a lot of other magazines and websites that offer accessories.

Oh one more thing...yes the stock tire carrier can only hold so big of a tire

Good luck!
2006 Overland HEMI QDII
lauderdalechad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
PresUrLuck
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I believe I have done enough research to build an entire Jeep at this point but that aside, I am 99% sure I am going with a 2.5" Teraflex Lift with shocks, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers and 18" Rockstar wheels. The 33's allow me to avoid some of the other modifcations that are needed with 35's and with a fairly aggressive wheel like the Nitto Trail Grapplers, I believe it will give me the look I am going for with limited mods to gears, exhaust, speedo etc.

Thanks again!
PresUrLuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.