Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New Jeep Buyer here! Got some questions.

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  WK2rookie 
#1 ·
So I'm 17 and I have saved up some money (My parents are helping me as well a bit) to get a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2016, I've always wanted one so I could get into off roading, and aesthetically I really love the way they look and I enjoy the history behind them. I would use it for camping, off roading, and my daily commute to school and work. Things like that.

I'm a little clueless, but I eventually want to put some upgrades into it like a lift and some body stuff.
So I guess the question is what is the difference between the Sport and the Sport S and if I got a base model (Sport) would I eventually be able to do "everything" through 3rd party modifications down the road? And if I shouldn't get either Sport, or Sport S and go towards another model.

Thanks!

(Edit: Sorry if I'm using wrong terminology or whatever, I'm new to everything :laugh2:)

#5 ·
So question for you bud. Why a NEW one? I get wanting something thats only been yours and having it shiny new. But you could get more for your money on one that is used and well taken care of. It takes a little more to find and make sure it is a good buy but for the price of what you pay for a stock new one, you could get more vehicle, and get something that has the base customizations you would want to start with. You just need to do some research and pick one out that has what you want and is in good shape.

I also picked up my first Wrangler (2016 Unlimited black bear edition) and have already put in $2k in mods and already have another $1k on my immediate list of stuff and I have not even gotten to the truely expensive lift kits and light kits. I am 40 and have the cash to do it, but at 17, if I was to do this, I would spend less on the base getting a used one with SOME of the mods I want, then have more cash for mods to make it yours.
Agree with both members!

#4 ·
So question for you bud. Why a NEW one? I get wanting something thats only been yours and having it shiny new. But you could get more for your money on one that is used and well taken care of. It takes a little more to find and make sure it is a good buy but for the price of what you pay for a stock new one, you could get more vehicle, and get something that has the base customizations you would want to start with. You just need to do some research and pick one out that has what you want and is in good shape.

I also picked up my first Wrangler (2016 Unlimited black bear edition) and have already put in $2k in mods and already have another $1k on my immediate list of stuff and I have not even gotten to the truely expensive lift kits and light kits. I am 40 and have the cash to do it, but at 17, if I was to do this, I would spend less on the base getting a used one with SOME of the mods I want, then have more cash for mods to make it yours.

#6 ·
ErikThomas said:
So I'm 17 and I have saved up some money (My parents are helping me as well a bit) to get a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2016, I've always wanted one so I could get into off roading, and aesthetically I really love the way they look and I enjoy the history behind them. I would use it for camping, off roading, and my daily commute to school and work. Things like that. I'm a little clueless, but I eventually want to put some upgrades into it like a lift and some body stuff. So I guess the question is what is the difference between the Sport and the Sport S and if I got a base model (Sport) would I eventually be able to do "everything" through 3rd party modifications down the road? And if I shouldn't get either Sport, or Sport S and go towards another model. Thanks! (Edit: Sorry if I'm using wrong terminology or whatever, I'm new to everything :laugh2:)
I guess it depends on what you want to do first, 4wheel or
4wheeling a DD can get pricey, especially while you're making payments. Nothing stinks more then making payments on something that's down or broken, been there done that.

My suggestion, buy a gently used non modified stocker Jeep, (TJ/YJ/CJ ) with in intact frame, and build from there.
Gives you the opportunity to learn about your jeep, and budget what's important to you, DD, rock hound, beach crawler..

Best of luck.

#7 ·
Some have asked why new insteas of used. In my opinion, I think you are better off going with new, especially if you plan to keep it for a while. These things hold their value so well, you will pay allt of money, relatively speaking, for a used one. Why not spend a few thousand more for something brand new with a full factory warranty.

Also, you really don't need to throw alot of money into it to get it really nice. Unless you plan to do serious off roading, a 2.5" lift with some decent wheels and tires will take care of it. You could probably do it all for less than $4,000. Now is the best time to buy since the end of model year is here. I would suggest getting 3.73 gears for when you upgrade the wheels and tires.

#8 ·
Bill123 said:
Some have asked why new insteas of used. In my opinion, I think you are better off going with new, especially if you plan to keep it for a while. These things hold their value so well, you will pay allt of money, relatively speaking, for a used one. Why not spend a few thousand more for something brand new with a full factory warranty. Also, you really don't need to throw alot of money into it to get it really nice. Unless you plan to do serious off roading, a 2.5" lift with some decent wheels and tires will take care of it. You could probably do it all for less than $4,000. Now is the best time to buy since the end of model year is here. I would suggest getting 3.73 gears for when you upgrade the wheels and tires.
Not to be argumentative but that's exactly why I don't believe in buying a brand new $45-$50,000 vehicle for a17 year old to beat on. Someone's gotta pay for broken axle shafts, u joints, body damage, usually the parents, the BF, the spouse..

I bought my 1st jeep a 1993YJ Sport, brand new, after getting out USNavy.
Lifted it, broke/repaired/ rebroke & re-repaired leaf spring perches, soft top install, Interior mods, engine swap (with help) by myself.

No ones gonna appreciate the value & benefit of a jeep ownership, if they rely on factory warranty or their parents to bail them out when they screw up. I suspect this is why so many new jeepers don't wave. They don't get it. Investing in something that lasts..

Anyway, I priced a gently used JKU, 2008-12, and they're still unbelievably obscene, for an 8 year old vehicle.

My apologies in advance for the rant..

#9 ·
Not to be argumentative but that's exactly why I don't believe in buying a brand new $45-$50,000 vehicle for a17 year old to beat on. Someone's gotta pay for broken axle shafts, u joints, body damage, usually the parents, the BF, the spouse..

I bought my 1st jeep a 1993YJ Sport, brand new, after getting out USNavy.
Lifted it, broke/repaired/ rebroke & re-repaired leaf spring perches, soft top install, Interior mods, engine swap (with help) by myself.

No ones gonna appreciate the value & benefit of a jeep ownership, if they rely on factory warranty or their parents to bail them out when they screw up. I suspect this is why so many new jeepers don't wave. They don't get it. Investing in something that lasts..

Anyway, I priced a gently used JKU, 2008-12, and they're still unbelievably obscene, for an 8 year old vehicle.

My apologies in advance for the rant..
I wouldn't spend that kind of money either. I bought mine brand new for anout $31,000 and it had everything I wanted, except for a premium soft top. It is a Sport with the power convenience group and 3.73 gears. Everything else is really just fluff. I put about $3,000 into it with a lift and wheels/tires, so a total of less than $35,000. I was looking at used, but with a comparable lift, wheels and tires, they wanted at least $25,000, most of the time more, and they usually had over 50,000 miles. To me, it was a much better deal to spend $6,000 - $8,000 more and get new without someone else's problems. Again, that's just my rationale behind new vs used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.