new guy, first post, potentially buying my first jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > new guy, first post, potentially buying my first jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 05-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
goodiemob

new guy, first post, potentially buying my first jeep

Looking to buy this 89 yj, he says it needs a little frame work near the gas tank ans new ebrake lines. He'll take 3000 but I was thinking of offering him 2500. Any suggestion things I should look for. He also mention oil leaking out of the oil cap, I was thinking its eather a bad gasket or blowby..

Heres the CL add: Lifted & Locked Wrangler trade for Lifted Cherokee

Thanks in advance

goodiemob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Hmmm, makes me wonder whats up with the "frame work". Sounds fishy. All that stuff for 3000. I have never seen a yj sell for as cheap as a CJ, they usually run pretty high. I would find out as much as I can about the jeep, and go down and see it in person. Drive it around, and do figure 8's with the four wheel drive locked in. While doing that feel for slippage, or banging or anything like that, and also listen for anything unusual. Just do as much research as possible. The oil leak could be just a bad oil cap not sealing right and the PCV valve is blocked and needs a new filter. Check all your seals on the rearends, and transmissions. Turned and push up on the driveshafts, make sure there is no play in the yokes and/or u-joints, and once again check for what looks to be an oil leak around the seals. The engine isnt really that big a deal, considering you can pick these things up from craigslist for fairly cheap. But the tranny, rearends, and transfercase are more pricey and harder to come by.

Good luck!
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would say **** it unless he sells it to you for like 1500, there are better deals to be found. Frame issues just aren't worth it. I also read the ad and it just seemed like a lot of funny business to deal with.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mark's right. Only I don't already own a welder so just make it 1000 so you can buy one to fix the frame.

My buddy got a YJ for free from an acquaintance who knew he couldn't sell it with the rotted frame. My buddy is also dirt poor and I fear for his life because he drives it with 75% of the spring perch gone.

oh, welcome to the forum!
Unread 05-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
goodiemob

wow what a decrepid pile of **** that thing was......I could fit my fist in the hole in the frame, the whole top of the motor was covered in oil becasue the motor had such blow by, the tranny x member was welded in, Instead of cutting the old floor out and riviting/welding and new piece in they just rivited over the rusted out floor. I was amazed that he was even trying tell me it was in good shape and when he asked if I wanted to test drive it I just told him I was allset.
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
goodiemob

Im gonna go check this one out tomarrow..........Jeep Wrangler 88 Lifted
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check for frame rust again! Just because he doesn't mention it... From the pics it looks decent though, different fenders thank most jeeps.
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure it has beefed up axles or be prepared to put something else under it, those are some big meats. Nice looking YJ though.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
crzdmnky
1977 CJ5 

Thats a good looking jeep, I bet its a dog tho with them tires. lol
crzdmnky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
goodiemob

I was thinkin about loosin the tires and getting some 33's, Im not lookin to go wheelin much. Im sure I could find soemone on cl that would trade 36's for 33's.. and he said the frame is in good shape but there is a crack in the floor near the cluch which I dont think is that big of a deal..
Unread 05-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
goodiemob

yet another turd!!! started a little rough but nothing a little tune up couldnt fix, drove and shifted real nice, rear panels were full of bondo, spray painted orange, and it was missing a bunch of things here and there. no way I was gonna pay that kind of money for that. It was a solid jeep frame wise but the body was junk.
Looking at another this weekend and hopefully it looks as good as it does in the picture this time.
Unread 05-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
thelinux

At least he is honest enough tell you the problem.
thelinux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
goodiemob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelinux View Post
At least he is honest enough tell you the problem.
he didnt tell me it was rattle canned and was missing a bunch of parts...
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
goodiemob

Well I finally bought something, Its a 97 tj w/ 4 " rough country lift and 34" swampers (which Im looking to get rid of). It just got a 4 banger in it w/ 86,xxx on it, but i dotn relly care cause Im just gonna use it to ride back and forth to work. It needs a bit of tlc but Ill do work and get it looking good again.
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

pics please. I want 34" LTBS! wish you were closer...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.