Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

new buyer needs advice for high mileage sahara :)

897 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  joeydominick 
#1 ·
Hi all! I have been dreaming of this day for nearly a decade and I think it is finally here! I am getting my Wrangler! But I want to gather all the information I can and make a smart decision, so I need your help.....

I am looking at this one, as well as a few others from this dealer- http://www.xtremejeep.com/2003-Jeep-Wrangler/Used-SUV/Tampa-FL/5222242/Details.aspx

The price is about what I am looking for, is it appropriately priced? I drove it and it was a dream- hard to believe there were 200K miles! The seller told me also that I could drive it until the engine goes and put a new engine in it with 100K mile warrantee for about $3000. I figured this would be a more viable plan for me than spending several thousand more now for a lower mileage jeep.

Any input/advice is welcomed!

#2 ·
Be very, very careful. At over 200k miles it is not just the engine that is beginning to wear out. The fuel delivery system, transfer case, transmission,
brakes, steering and suspension will all be questionable.
It is never a viable plan to buy something mechanical just because it is cheap. Believe me, you wont end up saving any money this way, especially
after it breaks down and leaves you stranded a few times.
Next thing. The Jeep is in Florida, but where did it originate? If it came from up north (a Carfax report will tell you this) rust could, and probably will
be a problem. A major problem. The pictures show armor plate on the front fenders, the rocker panels and the rear corners. This stuff is very often used to cover up
rusted out sections of the tub, and the very presence of armor plate in these areas throws up a red flag.

Edmunds says this Wrangler should retail from a dealer for around $5,500.

I would pay around $6k for it IF it didn't have any rust. If the dealer won't come down to this level
I would walk and keep looking. Too many miles, too many questions, and priced WAY too high.

Take an experienced Wrangler owner with you to really go over this thing, especially the engine
compartment and underneath. The seller is not posting any pictures of these areas, which throws up
another red flag.

Don't be taken in by bright paint and a good looking interior.

#3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the detailed reply!!
. I looked at it and drove it in person and saw no rust. I will have to inquire about having them remove this panels to take a look though, thanks! The drive was very inspirin though!
I will be financing so I don't think I will be able to buy from an individual seller, right? Does that change any of your input?
Also, Kelly blue book values this one at $9400, there seems to be a lot of variation in how wranglers are valued, any insight as to why? And advice on how to find the best deals?

#6 ·
Cant tell enough about it with one little picture to advise. It would require careful going over to
even begin to come up with a price on this one.
I suggest you begin to educate yourself on Wranglers. A good place to start would be here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/jeep-buying-forum-faq-all-potential-buyers-start-here-523324/

Be advised that older Wranglers (over 125,000 miles in my estimation) are more suitable as week-end
toys than daily drivers. They will require lots of mechanical maintenance and unless you are a capable
mechanic that loves to work on and update older vehicles, you will be spending a bundle of money keeping
them on the road and out of the shop.

#7 ·
Thanks for your input!! I have definitely been scrolling through the forums. I moved on from the super high mileage ones and was able to find this one. I feel a little better buying from a dealership, but not sure why when there's no warrantee... Is that silly?
Any input on this one? They came down to $9000... http://m.fitzmall.com/Inventory/VehicleDetail?xrefid=1J4FA49S85P334501

#8 ·
You will spend more at a dealership than almost anywhere else. There is absolutely no
reason to buy from them without any warrantee being offered, since you are on
your own once you leave their lot. You also need to educate yourself on "warrantees" from
car dealerships. You can buy warrantees from dealerships, but some of them are worthless
and most cost more than they are worth.

Read these:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/advice-auto-extendedcarwarranty?akredirect=true
http://www.autotrader.com/research/...d-you-walk-away-from-an-extended-warranty.jsp
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...rth-buying-an-extended-car-warranty/index.htm

My input on your latest "find" at Fitzgerald is the same as before. There is not enough information to arrive
at any conclusion. You can't judge the value of a used (very used) Wrangler based on a small photograph.
I certainly would not pay that kind of money for a Wrangler with 144,000 miles.
Oh yeah, and they say they are selling it to you $1455 below KBB at $9484. Well, Edmunds places
the value of a 2005 Wrangler with 144,000 miles in average condition at $6500 from a dealership, so
you can reply to the dealer that they are selling it almost $3,000 HIGHER than Edmunds says it is worth.
The reason there is such a differential in pricing here is that dealerships often (always?) overestimate
the condition of what they are selling and conveniently overlook any problems that are not easily visible.
I used "average" condition, as I do not believe any 10 year old Wrangler with 144k miles should be
rated any higher than average.

For your information, Edmunds says that you should pay around $4200 for this vehicle from an individual.
You would have to shop long and hard to find one at this price, but they are out there somewhere. If the
Jeep was very clean, had around 100k miles on it with good maintenance records and NO rust, I would pay
around $6k for it. It would be up to you to ascertain the mechanical condition.

#9 ·
Your at least 2500 over priced. U could get one with closer to 120000 miles on for that price. They probably got it on a trade and gave the guy 5000 for it if that. I wouldn't pay a dime over six, and piss on the warranty at that mileage. Engine May last another 50000 or more but you have no idea what the previous owner did to it or didn't do to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.