New 2014 GC Limited Diesel purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > New 2014 GC Limited Diesel purchase

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
DieselSax

New 2014 GC Limited Diesel purchase

It's official. We signed the work order to start the build on a GC Limited with the diesel engine. Added the Tow Package, Off Road Adventure I package and with the Lux II package we ended up at just under $46K after the FFP discount.

The dealership is standing on the 4 - 6 week build time, so we'll see how that turns out.

My wife will be the primary driver, so she isn't exactly as excited about the diesel as I am, but said she would go into this with an open mind. (She really wanted the Hemi engine.)

The only way we could afford this vehicle was through the lease program. If it turns out to be the vehicle it's supposed to be, we'll purchase it after the lease.

At any rate, I'm as geeked as a 5 yr old on Christmas morning sitting in front of the Christmas tree, looking at all the presents, waiting for his parents to wake up.

Oh yeah, my wife said it has to be Cherry Red.

DieselSax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
ben_badassjeeps

I'm excited to see more people picking up the Grand Cherokee's in diesel. The more success with this platform, the more likely we'll see it in the Wrangler.
Phone: 778-435-2169
E-mail: ben@badassjeeps.com

Use the coupon code: "jeepforum2014" for a 5% discount on all of our Currie Enterprises, Genright Offroad, RiverRaider Offroad and RCV Performance Gear!
ben_badassjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
LarryC213

Congratulations. That sounds really nice. I'm a big admirer of diesel and would love to see many more diesels on American roads. It seems like many manufacturers are going to be offering diesel options between now and 2016. I'll be interested in seeing/hearing what kind of mileage your Jeep gets while cruising on the interstate.

P.S. Your wife sounds like a real keeper.

Last edited by LarryC213; 03-04-2014 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: I left out a word.
LarryC213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
DieselSax

Well, as luck would have it, the dealership found a '14 GC Limited with diesel and all the other options we ordered, except for the block heater and the color. This one was the Black Forest Green and the salesman said this color is for this year only. I thought the color was very sharp. Another dealership had it, said they couldn't sell it, and wanted to trade it for an equally optioned V6 that they could sell immediately. So we had a test drive last night and I must say - That is an awesome machine.

The engine is much quieter than my '10 VW Jetta TDI. Standing outside the vehicle, the diesel sound is eminent, but not loud at all. Inside, you can hear the diesel sound, but it is much quieter than outside.

The ride was quite nice. I'm not used to a large vehicle after driving my VW for 2 yrs, but I could get used to this.

My wife drove it off the lot and got onto the freeway. She cruised at about 65 - 70 and it handled fine. The mileage wasn't that impressive going down the freeway, but after we got off and switched drivers, I noticed the Eco light on and turned it off. That made an immediate improvement to mileage.

I drove back to the dealership on secondary roads. At one point, I stopped on snow/ice covered lane and jumped on it to see how it would handle those conditions. Not a single slip. The vehicle simply dug in and took off. My wife hates it when I do things like that. She normally grabs the door handle and starts screaming at me. To my surprise, she said she hated it when I do that, but she guessed I had to just to see how it handled.

I averaged 55 mph on secondary roads and got mid to high 30's for mileage. And that was without trying hard.

When we first got into the vehicle and my wife started it, she noticed not seeing the glow plug light and questioned it. I didn't have any answers for her, but later that night she looked online and found these engines have ceramic glow plugs that heat up very fast. So fast that the glow plug light doesn't even come on. At least on this one it didn't show.

I am very impressed with this vehicle/engine/drivetrain. If I didn't owe so much on my Jetta, I'd trade it in for this one and let my wife wait for hers to come in. After driving it, my wife said she would be able to live with the diesel, even though she still wanted the Hemi.

The salesman said they can put the block heater on if that made a difference. Aprox. $100 for the heater and about 2.5 hrs of labor. If we decide to take this one instead of waiting for hers to come in, they would need to install the heater without the labor charge, but I doubt they would go for that. The salesman is supposed to call us later about pricing and stuff, but I'm still thinking we will wait for the one we ordered.

If any of you are on the fence whether or not to go diesel, believe me, IMHO it's worth it.
Unread 03-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
Adam013085

If the numbers come back as you like have them throw the block heater on or you don't want it. They aren't gonna loose a sale over $100 block heater.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Harriedtwo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Does your diesel require DELF? I drive an '08 Dodge RAM with the 6.7 without the DELF. It runs great. The real challenge is finding a good station with good fuel. This is where people hurt themselves. If you can add an additional water filter to the fuel line which is easy to empty, you will save yourself a lot of grief over time. The other challenge with Diesel is the cost is higher than regular gas, but your fuel mileage is better too. Just keep good records and find a GOOD repair shop. Good luck with your buy.
(My wife just bought a 2014 gas powered Grand Cherokee Limited; it is very nice and was the best fit out of 15 vehicles she test drove.)
Harriedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
DieselSax

I just got the update that our new build is going down the line now. It's in the paint stage.
Unread 05-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #8
DieselSax

Well, we've had our new Jeep GC for aboutr 2000 miles now. I am very impressed with this vehicle. While we have not had it on the trails or anything like that, we have covered a few mile on the highway. I like this vehicle.

I drove it to work one day doing 65-70 on the freeway and seeing 30 - 35 mpg on the instant readout. Now that's on a flat, straight piece of the freeway.

We haven't pulled anything heavy yet. We've pulled a snowmobile trailer with furniture and stuff and it pulled that fine. I can't wait until we hookup to our travel trailer.

While my wife is not a diesel person, she said she is getting used to it and she really does like her new ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.