NEED some helpful advice purchasing 1st TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > NEED some helpful advice purchasing 1st TJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
kevinmward

NEED some helpful advice purchasing 1st TJ

Hey guys, im old to car commnity but pretty new to the wrangler community. and i am shopping for my first one.. I had a cherokee sport before i used as a daily becuase i couldt drive my racecar anymore daily after i put a parachute on it. but i always wanted a wrangler and finally decided to make the switch. Basically just looking on advice on which you guys think is best worth the money i have a few potentials i am looking to get.
I knwo that you can only give me limited advice seeing as how you cant see the car or test drive, but basic dollar value advice would be greatly appreciated.. I have literally searched Just about EVERY SINGLE wrangler in my area and felt these were my best choices for my budget of about 6k
So far my choices are

1) 2000 Silverstone metallic 147k
clean body no rust or dents, grey interior(cloth), 4 cyl, 5spd, appears to be no a/c (softop) clean carfax
he wants 4500
SOLD****

2) 2000 Solar yellow 160k
Clean body minus surface rust on fenders,otherwise clean body/ frame, 2 new fenders included,(need to be painted) 6cylinder 5spd, grey leather interior, AC works, runs drives fine no issues
he wants 4500

3) 99 black 147k (original owner)
clean body 4 cylinder 5spd No ac, celan body no rust, drives good, hard top, grey cloth interior, clean carfax,
he wants 4500

4)2000 Patriot blue pearl (Salvage title due to theft) 100k
probably cleanest of the bunch ironically salvage, mint paint job whole under of cars been undercoated.grey cloth interior, 4cylinder, 5spd, , no rust or anything , no ac, soft top runs good no issues
he wants 3200

5) 2001 sienna pearl (230k!) (2nd owner)
another very celan one. runs good, Mileage is scary, but has had new head and clutch replaced, head looks brand new no valve tick nothing. sounds healthy runs great. again 4cylinder black leather interior,
he wants 3300

6)2003 bright metallic silver 160k (2nd owner)
this one is another super clean one. hard top grey leather, has A/c, runs great. looks mint. This one was extremely interested in but having such a hard time getting in touch with him
he wants 4900

7)2002 solar yellow 170k (dealer)
very very clean 5spd 6cylinder A/c grey leather runs good, no issues
he wants 5500

8) 2002 Patriot blue (apex edition) 130k
And finally the one that i wanted the most but not sure if its worth the extra just for those cognac seats but i love them .
clean in and out, ac hard top everythign but of course seems liek the ones i relaly want are hard to get in touch with the owner.
but he wants 6k

So just a little input what do you guys think is the best way to go.
All input is appreciated

Sorry for long post not used to being a Newb on a car forum lol,
but hey you gotta start somewhere lol

Thanks guys
Kev

Last edited by kevinmward; 08-23-2013 at 03:02 PM..
kevinmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Adam013085

Id stay away from any 4 cylinder esp if you are used to fast cars. It is not uncommon to see the 4.0s with 250-300k miles. Id look for the one with the least amount of rust and 6 cylinder for your budget. Id go for the last one you mention you wanted the most. It is a 6 cylinder and has the least amount of miles. Wish I could find an 02 with that amount of miles around me for $6k
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Go with the 03 if its a 6 cyl, otherwise that last 02 you listed. You didn't mention preference to any of the equipment (so, do you want a hard top?). Hard to say without pics and that, but I'd elimanate the 4 cylinders, forget about the salvage title one, and dont bother with the one that has a gagillion miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
kevinmward

At work tomorrow ill save the pics and upload them here, man you guys are like the 5th person to tell me go 6cylinder, is the 4 THAT bad lol, i was thinking great with the way gas prices are nowadays, cheap on gas because id be using it as a daily. hmmmm alot to think about maybe i should weed out the 4 bangers. Naturally the 2 with the 6cylinders the guys are really hard to get in contact with, still haven't responded back to me. i was starting to get impatient looking to buy by sunday, but i dont want to make a hasty decision ill regret
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The 4 cyl are not much better on fuel because they have to work harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
tytrev
1997 TJ Wrangler 

#4! I'm no fan of the 4cyl (my current power plant) but outside of the engine and the salvage I think 4 is the best choice. Mileage is #1...I agree with the "jeep motors go forever" mentality but wouldn't you rather be on the front end of forever? Then the price, 3200 leaves a lot of room for the first mods you want to install. Backed up by the clean exterior / interior and no issues. As long as the salvage really is theft... Cause many sellers say that when in fact it was a frame bending head on. (make sure you get your own carfax).

I'm having a blast with my little $3500 2.5 97 TJ.

Good luck and have fun!
image-2835029840.jpg

tytrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Adam013085

TJ and gas do not belong in the same sentence. The mpg difference between the 4 and 6 is minimal. The 6 is worth the extra money.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
kevinmward

THANKS AGAIN guys for helping out a NEWB lol i added pics and here is another 1 i found..
Guy just texted me back might meet up with him this weekend. Tryna haggle him to 4800-5k give me a little extra money to do a few things i want...

BTW GUYS whichever way i go what are the odds of me finding those APEX cognac seats for sale lol.. whichever color i get as long as not yellow i def NEED those seats im in love with them lol.
If you know anyone def feel free to pass that number on..

***********Also i found 1 raised with i wanan say big tires and rims. to be honest price was real good but right now i dont want a lifted jeep, id even go as far as to swap with sum one who has stock rubricon tires an suspension if i did end up getting that one ill post a pic of it later on***********

Finally updated with pics plus a few more i found

2002 Navy 170K $5500
Clean 6CYLINDERS!!! lol 5 spd
Runs great no rust

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.