Need some help in a possible purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Need some help in a possible purchase

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
tgragg

Need some help in a possible purchase

It's a 1999 jeep Wrangler sport with a 4.0 5 sp with lift not sure how much or what kind it has 35" tires a warren winch a soft top it has 124k miles. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Spoke to the seller this evening and he is telling me it does a wobble when going down the road and the fan switch does not work for AC/heat and there is a little hail damage on the hood. My question is the switch and wobble are those going to be easy fixes and cheap or I'm I looking at spending some cash on this. He is asking $8500 and also wondering if this sounds reasonable? Lots of questions I know but I really like the looks of it in the pictures but didn't want to waste a day going if I'm looking at drooping some cash after the sale. Thanks in advance.

tgragg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That rig is grossly overpriced unless it has 4.88 gears, D44/8.8 rear axle, SYE with DC shaft, chromoly front axle shafts, front/rear lockers, and upgraded steering. I'd the suspension consists of brands such as rough country, skyjacker, or zone then I would seriously question the build quality of the rig.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
tgragg

When you say over priced by how much??
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

better have a good understanding of death wobble DW. If not it can cost you a lot to have a monkey mechanic replace the front part by part. 35"s tend to kill the front/rear end part rather fast off road. A poorly made cheep lift like was posted can lead to MORE issues on top of the general reasons for DW. just the fact that it does is a big DING on price.

things like a D35 rear is not going to play well with 35"s.
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
better have a good understanding of death wobble DW. If not it can cost you a lot to have a monkey mechanic replace the front part by part. 35"s tend to kill the front/rear end part rather fast off road. A poorly made cheep lift like was posted can lead to MORE issues on top of the general reasons for DW. just the fact that it does is a big DING on price.

things like a D35 rear is not going to play well with 35"s.
^^^^
What he said.
Look for a stock, unmodified unit with NO lift. This one has been butchered by the sound of it.
Unread 04-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgragg View Post
When you say over priced by how much??
I would say $3500 overpriced
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
tgragg

Yea went and looked at today and it's been butchered for sure. Drove like crap and pretty beat up. Been rode hard. Thanks for all the advice on this one.
Unread 04-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good decision. Looking for the right Jeep is half the fun in any case.
Unread 04-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
Harriedtwo
2011 JK Wrangler 

ALWAYS have a vehicle checked out by a competent mechanic & shop with a very good reputation! I didn't and ended up with a Jeep GC with lots of problems. It probably needs an overhaul but my wife thinks I'd be better off with a newer Jeep, probably a Wrangler Unlimited. If I had specified in the buying contract "Subject to good mechanical report" or words to that effect, I probably would not have bought the unit I bought. The lesson for me is to keep my emotions out of it and never, never, never buy a vehicle unless it has a good or better recommendation from a reliable 3rd party mechanic. Car dealers can be reliable, but many only want to sell the vehicle for the highest price they can get. If they try to keep you in the store after you have told them you are leaving - RUN LIKE HELL!
Harriedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
jeep , purchase , switch , wobble , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.