Need opinions - truck to JKU? Which one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Need opinions - truck to JKU? Which one?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
LL247

2008 JK Wrangler 

Need opinions - truck to JKU? Which one?

Ok, I hate the 'please give me opinion' threads as much as the next guy...but I'm mentally dead-locked and want to make a decision so any input is really helpful. Here's my situation and some history:

Dad had a blue CJ7 when I was growing up, spent a good bit of my young life in that Jeep and have been hooked ever since. Over the last 20 years I've owned a YJ, 3 TJs, and most recent an 08 JKU. Well a couple years ago I had my JKU and an F-150 I needed for towing (wife and I are avid motorcycle enthusiasts and tow a few bikes to different events). One day I was looking at the driveway and thought "I can trade both of these in and get a really nice truck to use for everything." So that's what I did, traded both for an 11 Ram that I did all the essentials...lift, 35's, ect. Then I started making really good money and bought my dream truck, a 13 Ram 2500 Mega cab Diesel Laramie...and lifted with 37's. Well the truck is nice but I really miss my JKU, only thing I hated was the lack of power. So I decided to give a new one a ride to see the difference with the Pentastar, holy night and day! On top of that the overall refinement of the interior was nice too, I'll admit I've been spoiled with heated seats, nav, leather, ect. Well the further push is that my income has taken a 50% hit due to changes at work, so I've been considering reducing the herd and monthly payments. Settled on dumping one of my bikes and possibly trading the truck on a new JKU, much much more budget friendly.

So here's the dilemma, I can't decide between what model. I've built 47000 Wranglers on the Jeep website at this point. Narrowed it down to 3 different options, a Rubi, Freedom Edition, or a Sport S with a Rocky Ridge package (3'' lift, 35's, front and rear bumpers, winch, ect). Now so you all know, I plan on this being a DD with occasional light offroading in the mountains. My reasoning is as follows:

Rubi is the priciest and doesn't help my budget reduction much. I really want it, but pretty certain I'll be lifting and swapping out wheels/tires in the near future.

Sport S with Rocky Ridge is nice, all the trimmings, but none of the interior options I'd like and it's Black which I'm not a fan of for scratch purposes. Plus it doesn't really help the budget more than the Rubi, but the suspension, wheels/tires, ect is already done.

Freedom edition is loaded out exactly how I want it, most budget friendly as well. Probably would want to lift right away (I can deal with a stock Rubi for a while, Sport not so much) and do tires. This seems like the best fit all around...but I'm afraid I might regret not getting one of the previous 2...

To be honest, I'm leaning the most to a Sport Freedom Edition but before I pull the trigger I'd at least like to get some feedback from you cats.

HER Jeep - 2014 JKU Freedom Edition - Fancy 20's with 33's...finest mall crawler in all the land!
LL247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you're not going to go crazy on a built (over 35s) I'd probably get the rubi with 4.10 gears myself. But it depends on your use. Run minimal lift (2.5" or so) for 35s, maintain the factory drive shafts etc. But if you don't need lockers get a sport I suppose.

But whatever you do, don't get something that comes with a lift. You won't be happy with it in the end. Do some research for lift lift kits and components. A cheap/crappy lift will just cause massive headaches down the road.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
LL247

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
If you're not going to go crazy on a built (over 35s) I'd probably get the rubi with 4.10 gears myself. But it depends on your use. Run minimal lift (2.5" or so) for 35s, maintain the factory drive shafts etc. But if you don't need lockers get a sport I suppose.

But whatever you do, don't get something that comes with a lift. You won't be happy with it in the end. Do some research for lift lift kits and components. A cheap/crappy lift will just cause massive headaches down the road.
I agree on the lift, the packaged one has a Pro-comp apparently.

HER Jeep - 2014 JKU Freedom Edition - Fancy 20's with 33's...finest mall crawler in all the land!
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

the main advantage today's Rubicon. With 4:10 gears no regearing is needed for 35"s. especially the auto with its much lower first gear than the ol 42Le.

Just remember a Auto Rubi Stock is 3:73, for the extra 250? its well worth it to get 4:10. when we ordered ours it was like 50$.

The money you save on say a sport with 3:21 gears will need a gearing to run 35"s effectively. This cost adds a lot to tire upgrades. Since you are in it if selectable lockers were ever in the plan add a another 2k in parts alone.

Fact is few people will wheel a new Rubicon where it would leave the sport stuck. Those that do, learn fast that wheeling is hard on things new or old.
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon just for the lockers I want to get one and just keep it as is for a while so I have a good daily driver. I have a built CJ though so I can use that for any extreme off roading. Think to your self what you would actually use and make your choice off of that I would love a jk with 37 inch tires but I dont have a need for it.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

A rubicon with 4.10s, 2.5" lift and 33s (285s) will do amazing things, look clean and not require a bunch of upgrades. A 2.5" aev lift with geometry correction brackets and 285s will handle very, carry heavy bumpers well, and be relatively low maintenance. Be sure to install a full suspension bolt upgrade kit when you install any lift though and help prevent more headaches down the road.
Just some options anyway. 33s and 3.73s with an auto will be good as well.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post

I totally agree with Brian's assessment. Skip the factory lift/tires...way over-priced for what you get.
Get the one that you have your heart set on and realistically believe will be used within its limits. Aftermarket mods are generally better and cheaper than factory mods.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
LL247

2008 JK Wrangler 

Why someone would A. buy a rubicon to NOT use it or B. do those upgrades for looks alone is beyond me...

I'm going to check the cost of a Rubicon with a few less comforts compared to the Sport Freedom Edition, think I'd rather have the rubicon if it budgets properly.

Unread 10-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Definitely agreeing with brianjw. Rubi is a really good base for a moderate build and I think makes a great daily driver. If you skip out on things like leather seats and the body coloured top you can save a fair amount. Stick is also significantly cheaper as well.

Oh and please post up a picture of your truck! Sounds pretty awesome
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
LL247

2008 JK Wrangler 

Unfortunately my manual shifting days are behind me, heavy dose of arthritis in the left knee prevents it. I can go without the leather, covers are always an option down the road if I really want it.

I'll throw up a pic of my truck when I have some time. Getting killed at work today (car dealership finance manager)

Unread 10-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Right that's totally understandable. I like cloth better for winter, especially with heated seats. The coloured top and fenders (and dual top group) will easily add on another few grand so I'd stick away from those foremost.

And I'm hoping that's manager at a Chrysler dealer! That would really be helpful!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
LL247

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post
Right that's totally understandable. I like cloth better for winter, especially with heated seats. The coloured top and fenders (and dual top group) will easily add on another few grand so I'd stick away from those foremost.

And I'm hoping that's manager at a Chrysler dealer! That would really be helpful!
Yeah, unfortunately I work for one of the largest dealer organizations in Pittsburgh and Jeep is pretty much the only brand we don't have in our 14 dealerships!

Well the wife and I shopped multiple lots today and she is saying is Rubicon time. Now to locate the perfect one and hopefully pull the trigger this week.

Unread 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL247

Yeah, unfortunately I work for one of the largest dealer organizations in Pittsburgh and Jeep is pretty much the only brand we don't have in our 14 dealerships!

Well the wife and I shopped multiple lots today and she is saying is Rubicon time. Now to locate the perfect one and hopefully pull the trigger this week.
I use to DX for your powersports, when my old dealership had Bombardier.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
LL247

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post
I use to DX for your powersports, when my old dealership had Bombardier.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Actually never updated my profile, Business Manager for the Kenny Ross Automotive Group now.

And to update this thread, just located the perfect JKU rubicon , numbers all work, scheduling the pick-up now. Anvil rubi with almost everything except leather and 410 gears. As much as I wanted them, nothing within 500 miles that really fits the bill and I'm not in a position to wait for a build. Need to move from my monster truck to a lesser payment and better mileage asap. If it comes down to it, I'll re-gear down the road. I'm figuring my anemic 08 JKU Sahara with 373's pulled my trailer down to Florida without issue, don't think I'll have issues until I go up to 35's which won't be for a while.

And yes, I said 'better mileage' in a Wrangler...it's worlds better than a Ram 2500 mega-cab on 37's!

Unread 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
LL247

2008 JK Wrangler 

Aaaaaaaaaaaand scratch the previous post. After some investigating I figured out they located a regular rubi, not an unlimited! then the dealer starts the mad scramble to get me what I want (being in the car business myself they are aware I have 1 day a week to do the deal, if not done tomorrow it would be a deal for next month). I managed to flip back to the original rubi I wanted on their lot and this time they knocked almost 4k off sticker, definitely into holdback on that deal. Furthermore they over-valued my trade too, got a payment just the original deal. So for an extra 40 bucks a month I'm getting almost $6k more jeep. AND it's my number one color choice, silver (anvil was a close second though).

Going to pick 'er up in 2 hours...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.