Need opinions and knowledge on 03 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Need opinions and knowledge on 03 TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Fletcher34

Need opinions and knowledge on 03 TJ

Here's the credentials according to the seller:

2003 Artic Silver Jeep Wrangler 4.0 V6 with 5 speed and 109,000 miles. Jeep has a 4" Zone Offroad lift and 1 1/4" body lift. Other items are a Smittybilt XRC 8,000 lb winch, Smittybilt XRC Rocker panels, Smittybilt XRC front bumper and 7 year O'reilly AGM battery less than year old. 35" Kumho MT tires, black Helo wheels, Teraflex slip yoke eliminator kit and Heavy duty Tatton driveline. Asking $9K

Here are my questions:
1. Is that a decent price
2. How much $$$ does this jeep have just in extra upgrades?
3. What is a teraflex slip yoke eliminator kit?
4. What is a Tatton driveline?

5. Most important question. I asked the guy if it had ever had any engine or tranny work done and he said no. He did however say "after the lift was put on it made the tranny sag so second gear is kinda tricky. It just needs the tranny bolt mount spacers and that's it. It's a cheap fix." I then asked if 2nd gear was hard to find or hard to put in, his response was "hard to find".

Does this sound legit? My question is why would it just affect 2nd gear? Also, if its a cheap fix, why not already have it done. What would it cost me to get this fixed if that's all it needs. This is just out of my knowledge realm.

Any help, thoughts, or comments would be much appreciated. I'm suppose to look at his jeep on Thursday 11/7.

Thanks,

Travis

Fletcher34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The Smitty stuff is not worth its weight in scrap IMO.
The Zone stuff seems to be one of the better quality kits out there.
The SYE is an important mod for the 4" lift. Tatton is a brand of driveshaft. It was needed b/c of the SYE.
The BL is what is causing issues with shifting. I don't know how common it is b/c I've only had autos. There may be 4wd shifting issues too, b/c of how the lever mounts.

$9k isn't unfair if it's clean. Run it through KBB and NADA and see what they say for the private seller price. If there isn't a check box for a mod, don't factor that into the price.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Fletcher34

"bl" ?????
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Fletcher34

body lift. got it
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
IAreKyle

It's not a V-6 unless it's been swapped. It's an inline 6. And BL means body lift.
IAreKyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If its such a "cheap fix" why hasn't the owner had it done? If it is a V-6 walk away. The mods add nothing to the value. Not a bad price, but potential problems.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.