Need opinions on buying/selling wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Need opinions on buying/selling wrangler

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleCurrie RockJock Products!!

Unread 04-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
SpencerRo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Need opinions on buying/selling wrangler

So here's the deal,

I currently own a '98 wrangler, 5 speed manual

-4 inch rough country lift
-New 33' Mikey Thompson Baja MTZ
-Interior is still in great condition
-Sound bar/upgraded sound system
-135,000 miles
-custom paint

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Sooo, My problem comes in here,

I'm a college student, and clearly jeeps aren't great on gas. So I was going to sell my '98 and work some and try to get an 07 or 08 in the spring next year, and than just build that one up. (wench, tires, bumper, all the good stuff) But i'm not sure if it would even make a difference (besides the millage). or if an 07 or 08 are better in any way.

Butttt seeing how I already have a good amount of work and extras put into the one I have now.. I can't decide if it would be worth it to sell and buy a newer one if i'm going to be doing the same stuff with it.

I do mud with it, but I also use it as my everyday driving vehicle.

Opinions anyone? Questions? Advice?

SpencerRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerRo View Post
So here's the deal,

I currently own a '98 wrangler, 5 speed manual

-4 inch rough country lift
-New 33' Mikey Thompson Baja MTZ
-Interior is still in great condition
-Sound bar/upgraded sound system
-135,000 miles
-custom paint

Sooo, My problem comes in here,

I'm a college student, and clearly jeeps aren't great on gas. So I was going to sell my '98 and work some and try to get an 07 or 08 in the spring next year, and than just build that one up. (wench, tires, bumper, all the good stuff) But i'm not sure if it would even make a difference (besides the millage). or if an 07 or 08 are better in any way.

Butttt seeing how I already have a good amount of work and extras put into the one I have now.. I can't decide if it would be worth it to sell and buy a newer one if i'm going to be doing the same stuff with it.

I do mud with it, but I also use it as my everyday driving vehicle.

Opinions anyone? Questions? Advice?
Well the newer one the first thing you listed is getting a "wench". I would avoid that as they are high maintenance and would put a damper on the getting anything down the road

The trouble is the MPG will not change enough going from a Tj to a JK 2011 down or even a 2102+ to make much change in over all fuel consumption in a yearly average.

Mods done to a jeep in most cases wont add a dime to it in value and can even lower the price. Not that you can not find someone that may. Just not going to be easy.

I would keep what you have if a Jeep is what you want/need. Tj;s have a known better longevity for the most cases, comparing a 4.0L to a 3.8 and the 3.6 has less than a stellar start. I can not see the latter two going 250+K perhaps a few but not in the numbers of the 4.0. Reputations are made over time and can be lost much faster.
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
cLuTcH-I-NiNjA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the money to update your wrangler and start customizing it again; you might want to look on picking up a second vehicle for a DD and use the wrangler as more of a recreation vehicle. A whole different set of recurrent costs, but it might save you some money on fuel.
Unread 04-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Adam013085

I don't see a break even point for selling yours for a JK and upgrading the JK. You have a better Jeep than any JK you can buy IMO. Not to mention if you pick up a payment for the JK it will be more than the gas you will be burning through. If it were me I would look for a good MPG vehicle if I was worried about MPG and drove a lot.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
SpencerRo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Well the newer one the first thing you listed is getting a "wench". I would avoid that as they are high maintenance and would put a damper on the getting anything down the road

The trouble is the MPG will not change enough going from a Tj to a JK 2011 down or even a 2102+ to make much change in over all fuel consumption in a yearly average.

Mods done to a jeep in most cases wont add a dime to it in value and can even lower the price. Not that you can not find someone that may. Just not going to be easy.

I would keep what you have if a Jeep is what you want/need. Tj;s have a known better longevity for the most cases, comparing a 4.0L to a 3.8 and the 3.6 has less than a stellar start. I can not see the latter two going 250+K perhaps a few but not in the numbers of the 4.0. Reputations are made over time and can be lost much faster.
Okay, Thank you. I appreciate you replying. I'll probably just end up keeping the 98 than, maybe add a few things on to it as I go along. But you said it wouldn't be smart to get a wench? Why not?
Unread 04-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
SpencerRo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085 View Post
I don't see a break even point for selling yours for a JK and upgrading the JK. You have a better Jeep than any JK you can buy IMO. Not to mention if you pick up a payment for the JK it will be more than the gas you will be burning through. If it were me I would look for a good MPG vehicle if I was worried about MPG and drove a lot.
Might just keep the 98, and get something for daily driving than so it doesn't suck up gas. But thank you, I appreciate you getting back!
Unread 04-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay, Thank you. I appreciate you replying. I'll probably just end up keeping the 98 than, maybe add a few things on to it as I go along. But you said it wouldn't be smart to get a wench? Why not?
i am busting you r chops bud.

a wench
[IMG][/IMG]

a winch

[IMG][/IMG]

though ihave to say the first is VERY tempting and brings the pirate out in me ARG.........
Unread 04-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
SpencerRo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
i am busting you r chops bud.

a wench
[IMG][/IMG]

a winch

[IMG][/IMG]

though ihave to say the first is VERY tempting and brings the pirate out in me ARG.........

hahaha oh gosh, can't believe i didn't catch onto that... eh, maybe i'll get both and see how it goes
Unread 04-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

hahaha oh gosh, can't believe i didn't catch onto that... eh, maybe i'll get both and see how it goes
You are a brave sole. Good luck mate Get a parrot, they live as long and cost less
Unread 04-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Adam013085

Its a good looking Jeep btw. something a little different but I think it looks good with the exception of the bushwacker flares. I have yet to see a vehicle they look good on but they do serve a purpose.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
SpencerRo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085 View Post
Its a good looking Jeep btw. something a little different but I think it looks good with the exception of the bushwacker flares. I have yet to see a vehicle they look good on but they do serve a purpose.
Thanks

I actually bought it with the flames annnd flares on, I was going to paint over but decided to keep em.

Flares and windshield lights are next on my list though! Gotta start looking around for some stuff.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.