Need Honest assistance / opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Need Honest assistance / opinions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
CnK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Need Honest assistance / opinions

Hey all:

So we are thinking of buying a*jeep*today, and have these 3 options that we are currently looking at. We are definitely interested in hearing pros & cons, along with opinions of the 3 models and their differences before we purchase.

2011 2 Door Rubicon hard top w/17"*wheels*& 24K miles, fully loaded & 40K warranty $26K
2008 4 Door Sahara hard top w/18" wheels & 48K miles, fully loaded & 6K warranty $25K
2013 2 Door*Sport hard top w/16" wheels - brand new, mostly loaded new warranty $28K

So we are really leaning toward the*Rubicon*right now, but are open to any and all suggestions. Especially what to look for and all when we test drive.

Thanks in advance!

CnK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you need a 4 door or Rubicon for some reason, I'd go with the 2013 because you're getting the better engine for about the same price as the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
CnK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Unless you need a 4 door or Rubicon for some reason, I'd go with the 2013 because you're getting the better engine for about the same price as the others.
Thanks for the reply. That's what we keep throwing up in the air. The 4 door would be nice because of the teenager getting in and out. The Rubicon would be nice because it's 100% loaded. The new one would be nice because it's brand new, would need some customizing, but we could customize it ourselves. So we are in a tizzy...

What is the biggest difference in the motor!? That's what the dude at the dealearship yesterday was saying. Something about the same motor, but just redone. 80+ hp or something like that. Other than that, what's the difference!? The last jeep I had was a 2009 Sport 4L.
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2007 - 2011 JKs had the 3.8L engine. It blows. I wouldn't even consider a 2007-2011 because of the engine alone. (But that's me.) 2012+ have the much improved 3.6L engine. I don't know the specs offhand, but you can look them up for a comparison.

What's your intended use? You likely don't need the Rubicon. Look at the bits a Rubicon gets you. 4.10 gears, lockers, 4:1 t-case, etc. Do you need that stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
CnK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
2007 - 2011 JKs had the 3.8L engine. It blows. I wouldn't even consider a 2007-2011 because of the engine alone. (But that's me.) 2012+ have the much improved 3.6L engine. I don't know the specs offhand, but you can look them up for a comparison.

What's your intended use? You likely don't need the Rubicon. Look at the bits a Rubicon gets you. 4.10 gears, lockers, 4:1 t-case, etc. Do you need that stuff?
The intended use obviously is going to be a daily driver. We (depends on who uses it) work about 25 miles one way from home. However, on the weekends, we are about 30 minutes from Mt. Rainier, and about an hour from the Washougal Mountains. The WM's have some GREAT rock crawling areas, and awesome four wheeling. I remember when I had my 4L, there were actually some spots in the WM's that I couldn't get over because of the gearing, no lockers, etc., where the Rubicon's (and older highly modded) would go. Would that be every weekend, definitely not. But it would be nice.

It's a VERY hard decision. I have always had the thought of "better to have and not use, than not have and need", but this obviously is a different scenario. That is why I am asking the experts!
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Have you driven both? I hear the performance between the 3.8 and 3.6 is night and day.

I would be tempted to get the rubi if the price was a little lower, but in the end I'd probably opt for new 13 sport or look for a used 2012+ rubi, just for the 3.6.
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
CnK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtco99 View Post
Have you driven both? I hear the performance between the 3.8 and 3.6 is night and day.

I would be tempted to get the rubi if the price was a little lower, but in the end I'd probably opt for new 13 sport or look for a used 2012+ rubi, just for the 3.6.
Honestly, the performance floating down the freeway doesn't really bother me. It's a Jeep for gawd sake!

We KBB'd the Rubi. They are asking $26, and the BB on it was just a tad over $30. So I figure that's a pretty good deal for what we are looking for..
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
joeydominick
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For the price I'd go for the13 with the new engine. However if I was going to consider used, if definitely go before the JK, like a late TJ 06 save a lot more money and get the 4.0L that will last forever and is easily worked on
joeydominick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.