Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need help! First jeep owner!

2K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  md45krc1 
#1 ·
Hi there.. I'm looking to buy a jeep, my dream vehicle! I've been searching around (in dealerships, online, Carmax) for the past 2-3 months now. I went into the dealership and felt like I was completely being taken advantage of (I'm a 27 y/o women).... I did not have a good experience so since then, I've been sticking to looking at Carmax. I found a good jeep, in my price range, but I guess I have a few concerns that I'd like help addressed by experienced jeep owners.

The jeep is:
-2door black 2014 Jeep Wrangler with no power doors or windows for $27,000 with 8,000 miles, cloth seats, pretty basic style.

What do you think of the price? At this rate, i went on the jeep website to build my own, and it looks like I can get a brand new one with the same specifications for $28,000... Can this be real? I'm torn on what to do because I really don't want to deal with the dealership but I also think that a 2016 jeep with the same specifications for $1,000 more is worth it...

Are there hidden dealership fees when you go through a dealer? I'm nervous about working with them. With Carmax nothing is hidden and I know the fees upfront.

I'm also unsure if I should get a 2 dr or 4 dr... What are your thoughts?

Also, it comes with a hard top, but I live at the beach so i need to buy a soft top too.. What soft top should I get and where from? I quickly looked online but am overwhelmed with all the offerings.

The sport has small standard tires on it now, but I'm looking to replace with bigger ones and would like to lift it.. Is this possible without changing the suspension? How much will this cost me? (I don't really plan on using it for climbing rocks -- just for looks).

Lastly, what do you think about manual locks and windows? I feel like this day in age I should have power but..... Idk, please help! I need your wisdom to help me make my decision. Thanks much in advance.

-j

See less See more
#2 ·
You have a bunch of great questions, but the first thing anyone looks for in order to help you out will be your location. A good price on a Jeep in San Diego will can be a terrible price on a Jeep elsewhere. So, fill out your profile. There may just be someone in your area who would be willing to help you out.

Yes, there are "hidden" fees at a dealership. But, if you make them know you are serious you can usually get a pretty good deal. That $28k sticker? TELL them that is what you want to pay out the door. Maybe even go lower. If they say they can't, have them direct you to someone who can. Be prepared to walk at anytime of the process. I have walked away from a deal at the last second, all I needed was to sign on the line. Remember, it's your money, make them work for it.

My last 2 vehicle purchases I got way better deals than I ever thought I could by keeping control of the situation. One of them I went ahead and walked out of the dealership, told them I would consider the deal, but I was shopping around. When they called back, I told them I was going to buy a vehicle. Whether or not they sold me one was up to them. Then I told them what I wanted to pay out the door. They made it happen.

If you can get a new one for just a bit more than a used one, to me it's a no brainer.

2 or 4 doors? You have to examine your situation and see what the best fit would be. You will get a lot of opinions, but ultimately it is "what do YOU need?"

Hard top/soft top? Do you have a place to store the hard top when you swap out? A couple of friends to help with the swap? If any of those are an issue, you may want to stick with just a soft top. Again, whatever best fits YOU.

Tires - I'm not a JK guy, but I do know that you can go bigger without lifting. There are many more people on here that can give you specifics. For that matter, check the link below. It will answer many of your questions.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/jk-f-q-frequently-asked-questions-will-rub-links-popular-threads-1074059/

Manual locks and windows? I, personally, like this about my Jeep. Again, what do you want? If you ever plan on pulling the doors off, maybe go manual?

Anyway, welcome to the Jeepdom, and may you have many happy days ahead.

#3 ·
Hi there.. I'm looking to buy a jeep, my dream vehicle! I've been searching around (in dealerships, online, Carmax) for the past 2-3 months now. I went into the dealership and felt like I was completely being taken advantage of (I'm a 27 y/o women).... I did not have a good experience so since then, I've been sticking to looking at Carmax. I found a good jeep, in my price range, but I guess I have a few concerns that I'd like help addressed by experienced jeep owners.

As an auto-broker in my spare time with 20 years experience in the retail and wholesale car industry, I feel your pain. However, buying a new Jeep is really simple. You just have to know what to say. Repeat after me... "I'll pay invoice minus hold back, plus any rebates or special financing available. You have an hour to get me out of here in my new Jeep." If they refuse (which they won't), just leave.

The jeep is:
-2door black 2014 Jeep Wrangler with no power doors or windows for $27,000 with 8,000 miles, cloth seats, pretty basic style.

Carmax makes more money on average than any other dealer family in the Nation. They are crooks. They make it quick and easy, but they are making a killing more times than not on each car they sell. They are able do this because people don't like to haggle or deal with a salesman. Genius.

What do you think of the price? At this rate, i went on the jeep website to build my own, and it looks like I can get a brand new one with the same specifications for $28,000... Can this be real? I'm torn on what to do because I really don't want to deal with the dealership but I also think that a 2016 jeep with the same specifications for $1,000 more is worth it...

A good deal is all about perception. If you think you got a great deal, you did. If you think you were taken, you were. It's all about your thoughts as you never really know. Just be smart and look for the right vehicle and compare the vehicles options and price with others in the area in which you are shopping. Personally, if you're looking for a Jeep that new, just go buy a new Jeep using the method I posted above.

Are there hidden dealership fees when you go through a dealer? I'm nervous about working with them. With Carmax nothing is hidden and I know the fees upfront.

Yes. Every dealer, Carmax included (theirs is truly hidden as it's built in to the price you pay), has "hidden fees" (DOC Fee), but keep in mind, with how competitive the market is with the internet, dealers are trying to do anything they can to keep the salesmen paid and the lights on. A lot of people think car dealers are out to get you when you buy a car. While this might be true at some places, it's absolutely false at reputable dealers. Service departments and body shops are the real money-makers for the dealership.

I'm also unsure if I should get a 2 dr or 4 dr... What are your thoughts?

If your budget allows for it, go with a 4-door. It will be better for you and be easier to sell when the time comes.

Also, it comes with a hard top, but I live at the beach so i need to buy a soft top too.. What soft top should I get and where from? I quickly looked online but am overwhelmed with all the offerings.

Way too many top combos for me to weigh in here, ha! Good luck! :)

The sport has small standard tires on it now, but I'm looking to replace with bigger ones and would like to lift it.. Is this possible without changing the suspension? How much will this cost me? (I don't really plan on using it for climbing rocks -- just for looks).

I own an XK, so I will leave this for a Wrangler owner.

Lastly, what do you think about manual locks and windows? I feel like this day in age I should have power but..... Idk, please help! I need your wisdom to help me make my decision. Thanks much in advance.

Again, it will help you when selling the Jeep to have power, but if you can live without it? Why pay for it? If your budget has room for power? Go for it! Especially if you go with a 4 door. Nothing worse than having to manually roll down / up windows every time you need to. It's completely up to your preference.

-j

#8 ·
Your profile

At the top of the page, there is a row that has a drop-down menu labeled "TOOLS". Hover your mouse over that. The top selection is "User CP", which stands for User Control Panel. Click that. On the resulting page, on the left side of the page, under "Your Control Panel", there is "Your Profile". Click "Edit Your Details" and fill out as much as you can. Since you don't have a Jeep yet, you don't have to fill that section out! :laugh:

#11 ·
Invoice is what the consumer thinks an auto dealer pays for a vehicle from the manufacturer. Hold Back, listed under the initials "HB" on the actual invoice, is the number behind the invoice that the dealer actually owns the car for (minus a PAC, but that's something no buyer will tap into, so I wouldn't worry about that). EVERY dealer in the US will have no problem selling a new vehicle for Invoice, minus that hold back number (on a wrangler it ranges from $800 to the $2000 range) plus all applicable rebates offered by the manufacturer or special financing rates (whichever is greater).

Confused yet? Just ask the sales manager to produce the actual invoice on the vehicle you're interested in. It's 100% in-house, so if they say they can't, they're full of it. Look toward the bottom for the "HB" and the number next to that is the hold back figure. Subtract that number from the invoice and offer them that figure. Tell them you'll take the rebate or special finance rate and inform them they have an hour to complete the transaction. Simple.

Car buying is easier than the consumer / dealer make it. For whatever reason, folks think dealers are out to get them, but fail to realize it's not 1986 anymore. The car buying industry is only as hard as you make it which is why the method above is how it should be every time, but dealers still get those folks that are willing to pay full MSRP.

#7 ·
MSRP is the price idiots pay. It is what you found on the website. Invoice is a much better place to start, go to truecar.com to find out the invoice price, and possibly even find a no haggle deal on the spot. Employee price is impossible to get close to, and the holdback is the difference between invoice and employee price.

Women can get good deals on cars, but you need to know what you're talking about, be strong, and don't let them weasel you into something. If you don't like it, walk. Take a look at a detailed list of the fees. You'll have to pay tax and license, and there will be a doc fee (which is BS in my opinion, but as long as it's under $3-400, you're stuck with it)

That one at carmax is overpriced, and you can get NEW for less than that. For that matter, you can get what you WANT. If you want power locks/windows, get that. If you want a soft top and not a hardtop, get that. By definition, lifting it IS changing the suspension. If you're going to put bigger tires on it, get at least 3.73 gears, because you'll need them.

#9 ·
Buy the new jeep. It's new and might as well say the same price. You will have to pay taxes on either one. With new one u get warranty! They will make a deal on left over 16 models. I think the hard top comes from the factory with a soft top already on it. Check with your dealer. It's a no brainier to buy the brand new jeep. Good luck and let us know what u get. Michael in Mississippi. I'm a newbie to this forum also :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Commanding's techniques are hardcore and you may go to multiple dealers before you get one who will bite.

That said it's possible particularly because holdback is there specifically to cover possible flooring costs (interest on it while it sits on the lot) which are basically null if you order and take delivery.

That said around here they sell well enough that it wasn't worth my time to find someone willing to part with holdback and I went with affiliate pricing on my order.

#14 ·
Kev M makes a great point as well. Every market is different as cities are all different. The Atlanta market is extremely easy when it comes to new cars as there are a dozen dealers of the major selling brands within 45 miles of one another. If you have one Jeep store within 500 miles, it may be tough to get this type of deal done depending on your approach / confidence. But with the new car market being what it is today, especially the Jeep market as their margins are already really small, I don't see many turning down a unit in the street taking little time.

I've been an independent auto broker for 14 years, but deal in high-line luxury 98% of the time, so again, not much experience in the Wrangler department. I do know with the competition with that brand in this city, I could make a phone call and get it done, but it depends on your local market.

If you order a Jeep, no way they would say no. At least it wouldn't make any sense because if the market is saturated, they know you can go 15 miles up the road to another store and if they're the only dog in your city, you are likely to become a lifetime service customer. It's a win win to put your butt in the seat of a new Wrangler rather than see you walk out the door.

#16 ·
This comment regards the manual windows and door locks. My 1995 Cherokee with manual has never been in for a repair to any window, door or lock. IT now has 242,000 miles with original engine and transmission. I am large enough to reach across and unlock, and even roll up or down windows in back ( this is a 4 door XJ) but just be aware that resale value is important in years 2-10 but if you keep it 20 years like I have, it's right to be manual. I would purchase another brand new Cher 4.0 if they still made them. Power, pickup and quick shifts are fantastic. It's the best of what Jeep offers

#17 ·
OK, what about online sales? What if i order my new 2017 jeep over online sales? is that even possible? do you know how that works? is it better to go into the dealership? i've heard doing it all online is better, but i'm not sure if it's even possible....?

when i do order the new 2017 jeep wrangler, will i negotiate (and pay) upon the order? or do i negotiate (and pay) when i go pick it up?

#18 ·
All of that varies by dealer (and location), but you might have more luck and be taken more seriously in person.

Generally speaking you would place a deposit on an order, as I doubt most states would allow a dealer to legally sell a vehicle not in their possession.

#20 ·
Since you live in SoCal, you should be able to find a Jeep dealer that will work with you. Jeeps are popular here, so there are plenty of dealers. Beware of buying from out of state. Kommiefornia has some weird laws about buying new vehicles from out of state. And by "new" they mean "less than 7500 miles". This means that if you find a 1951 Willy's Jeep with 7000 original miles on it for sale in Arizona, Kommiefornia will treat it like a new vehicle.
:nono: :rtft: :brickwall

#21 ·
Hi All,

Thank you very much for your replies and info! I decided to order a brand new 4 door 2017 jeep wrangler rubicon! It should be here any day now! But, I need some more advice.. since I ordered a brand new one, how do I negotiate? Do I still negotiate the same as if it were on the lot? I have a friends and family discount that will get me $150 off the invoice price.. Do i ask for invoice minus holdback minus the friends and family? or more? or less? Please advise on negotiating as I have never ordered a made-to-order car before. What can I expect?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

-J

#27 ·
OK... so i'll shoot for 2% below invoice then... appreciate your help!

but yeah, i thought it was kind of weird too... that they didnt have me sign anything... obviously if we did the paperwork, i would have known it was time to negotiate, but since that didn't happen upon ordering i thought it was typical to negotiate upon pick up....

anyway! thanks again! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.