Need Advice - 98 Wrangler, 4.0, 5 speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Need Advice - 98 Wrangler, 4.0, 5 speed

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-28-2012, 02:59 AM   #1
teeny19
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Need Advice - 98 Wrangler, 4.0, 5 speed

I have been looking for a Wrangler for a long time, I live in NY and most ones I come across are beat to hell rust buckets and they are asking $5,000-$7,000.

I am looking to buy someone's 1998 Wrangler, 4.0, 5 speed manual.

Not lifted or modded.

Looks pretty clean.

CEL light is on - he said it's the "Transfer case sensor"? (Easy fix or no?)

Some rust underneath but doesn't look like rot. Very little rust compared to others I've seen.

It's got a bit over 200k miles. He's asking $3500.

Pictures - http://imgur.com/a/vjZz4#0

I've heard the 4.0 6cyl engine can last a long time. I test drove it and it drove really nice, shifted well, started up with no smoke out the tailpipe. $3500 seems like a good price to me, plus he offered to sand down the rust and apply Rust-Oleum to get me through the winter. Afterwards I can get it professionally touched up or use Rust Bullet products.

I heard these Wranglers can be beasts and I'm hoping that $3500 is worth it, even if I need to pick up some spare parts from the junk yard.

What do you guys think??

teeny19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Autozone could probably run the engine codes with a scanner for free. The last picture of the frame rust looks kind of questionable to me. I'd be leary of frame rust just because of alot of years in the northeast winters and roadsalt.

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.0s are notoriously reliable, but I feel that any engine will be pretty tired at 200K miles. If it's been maintained, it will almost certainly run, just not with the pep it did at 50K miles.

The only sensors that I can think of on the transfer case are the 4WD indicator and the Speed sensor. Not sure either would throw an SES light, but the speed sensor might, so get that checked.

Is he offering to touch up the frame with paint? I'd be leery of anyone offering to paint after I purchase because I wouldn't want to live with their mistakes. Maybe you can take it as is and knock a few bucks off it.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
teeny19
1998 TJ Wrangler 

He already decided to sand/paint whether I was buying it or not...Showed me around the areas he did and what they look like now. Worst rust is the skid plate or whatever that covers the fuel tank...though he showed that that can be removed and replaced with one from a junk yard.

There is some slight wetness around the head gasket but he said there's been no oil loss or burning. How easy would it be to replace that if I needed to?
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
teeny19
1998 TJ Wrangler 

He already decided to sand/paint whether I was buying it or not...Showed me around the areas he did and what they look like now. Worst rust is the skid plate or whatever that covers the fuel tank...though he showed that that can be removed and replaced with one from a junk yard.

There is some slight wetness around the head gasket but he said there's been no oil loss or burning. How easy would it be to replace that if I needed to?
Unread 10-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A head gasket is a fairly major repair. I've done dozens of them, but I don't remember ever seeing one leak externally. If you suspect a head gasket issue, look for coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Are you maybe looking at a leaking valve cover gasket?

Gas tank skids are easy replacements. You may be able to get one free or cheap from someone who replaced it for an aftermarket unit.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.