My First potential 1998 TJ Sport purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > My First potential 1998 TJ Sport purchase

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
hillsf

My First potential 1998 TJ Sport purchase

Hi all,

I have been wanting to buy a wrangler for quite some time now and i finally found one within my budget. It is a 1998 sport in pretty good condition. I took it for a test drive and everything went smoothly. The steering wheel was tight and the clutch didn't seem too loose. I was wondering what other things i should be looking at before i make the purchase. The people are offering it to be for $6500. Is this a good price? Please help!

Oh and it has 110,000 miles on it.

[IMG]C:\Users\shill\Pictures\jeep[/IMG]
[IMG]C:\Users\shill\Pictures\jeep2[/IMG]

Thank you!

-Scott

Austin, Texas

hillsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a good price, look for obvious signs of abuse, check the fluids, look for heavy rust especially on the frame.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
PTWarrior66
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good price. Go for it if all checks out.
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
wroose
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure you put in 4 wheel drive and low range,
wroose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
jeepers29
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. Get the jeep so we can go wheelin. I live in Georgetown.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
BEETROOT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Price sounds pretty good. You need to upload your pictures to a site like photobucket to post them though. And I think you need ten posts here first too, but if you post the [img] code from photobucket someone can quote you and the pictures will show up.

A few things to check out:

Check radiator for pressure (carefully). Check coolant reservoir for bubbles. Check the oil, wipe it on a white towel/napkin and look for milkyness or any sign of metal. Put it in 4wd and 4low and make sure they engage. Look underneath the car for damage or signs of leaks. Get a carfax.
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
hillsf

So everything is looking good, should be picking it up soon!
hillsf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1998 , purchase , sport , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.