More on Warranties and Vehicle Protection Plans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > More on Warranties and Vehicle Protection Plans

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

More on Warranties and Vehicle Protection Plans

I was just wondering if this ever happened to anyone.....when buying my 2012 JGC Overland, I opted ( or should I say, was pressured ) to buy the Vehicle Protection plan including fabric protection, leather + toddler (okay, I can see why I would want that ) and tire/rim damage protection. I figured ( or was convinced that because of ) all the extra technology and the cost of repairs and replacement parts, I'd be better off in the long run. I also figured that the tire damage protection would be useful since I have a very rough, rocky and long driveway and was bound to suffer damage at some point. And, of course I was right.

When trying to get the tire replaced, the dealership didn't want to replace just the damaged tire but instead insisted that with "these 4wd systems" all 4 tires must be replaced or it will damage the drive train. And, by the way, I'd be responsible for the cost of the other three replacement tires. Now at this point I am fuming because I noticed the pow-wows taking place when they were checking out my damaged tire. Tech looked at it, called over someone else, then he got someone else.....I knew there was going to be a problem. These tires only had 14k miles on them and they are trying to tell me that a new tire would have a different radius than the other three and they need to all be about the same.

Needless to say, I threw a fit and talked to a dealership manager and he said that it is my option to only replace the damaged tire, and I told him that was not the impression I was being given.

So, my question is this.....why do they even offer a tire damage protection policy if the only time that it would ever benefit the owner is in the event that a tire gets damaged within the first couple of thousand miles?
And can their really be a potential to damage the 4WD system with a tire that has maybe 30% more tread than the others? I could see a completely different sized tire, but the same brand and size tire with a bit more tread....heck, I could remedy that situation with just running that tire with less pressure in it than the others.

So what say you folks?

SomeBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

not surprised. what is the physical tire tread depth difference? I would think as long as they are no more than 3/32. But hey these things today have left the K.I.S.S. principle far behind.

I have a Jk and I know the 4x4x is not the same at all. if you have 5 real tires. You should have been doing a 5 tire rotation. Once you blew one the new should become the spare if its THAT much taller. Then you will do a 4 wheel rotation until replacements. The only way I can see getting what you need and no harm IF its possible.
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
not surprised. what is the physical tire tread depth difference? I would think as long as they are no more than 3/32. But hey these things today have left the K.I.S.S. principle far behind.

I have a Jk and I know the 4x4x is not the same at all. if you have 5 real tires. You should have been doing a 5 tire rotation. Once you blew one the new should become the spare if its THAT much taller. Then you will do a 4 wheel rotation until replacements. The only way I can see getting what you need and no harm IF its possible.
Yeah, I suppose I could have done that....but it is a 12GC Overland and the spare is a steely with different rim size but overall same outer diameter tire.
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

replace just the one tire, you'll be fine.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRSmart View Post
replace just the one tire, you'll be fine.
That is what I did....but I had to insist on it.
I read in another thread that you have worked in the field.....was I being played? Is this something that is truly a concern or is this a tactic to sell more tires?
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBeach

I read in another thread that you have worked in the field.....was I being played? Is this something that is truly a concern or is this a tactic to sell more tires?
IF... it was a Wrangler then it may be a problem only with a larger size mud terrain tire. And all that does is cause the new one to cup quick to catch up, so to say. On a WK2 it's not a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post
IF... it was a Wrangler then it may be a problem only with a larger size mud terrain tire. And all that does is cause the new one to cup quick to catch up, so to say. On a WK2 it's not a problem.

Actually, I think it would be less of a problem on a Wrangler than on a WK2.
When you consider that the Wrangler is not a full time 4 wheel drive system and when the Rock-Trac not engaged in any 4wd mode, the wheels can turn independently of each other. Whereas the WK2 is an all-wheel drive auto sensing 4wd system and the Quadra-Trac II is always engaged and turning the transfer case. Are you just giving an opinion? You should say that when making such statements.

Last edited by SomeBeach; 10-24-2013 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBeach

Actually, I think it would be less of a problem on a Wrangler then on a WK2.
When you consider that the Wrangler is not a full time 4 wheel drive system and when the Rock-Trac not engaged in any 4wd mode, the wheels can turn independently of each other. Whereas the WK2 is an all-wheel drive auto sensing 4wd system and the Quadra-Trac II is always engaged and turning the transfer case. Are you just giving an opinion? You should say that when making such statements.
The more aggressive tread on a aftermarket tire. Not stock, on a Wrangler. And it's a fact not a opinion. If you have a spare hanging on the back that has never been rotated and your other 4 are wearing down. You just can't throw the spare on and hope it will wear well. Just wont happen.

Unread 10-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

My rule of thumb are the 2 tires on the same axle should have the same tread. I dont think there is any need to replace all 4 just for 1.
gogogooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
SomeBeach
2007 JK Wrangler 

Maybe I should be a little more clear in my question and my point.....I'm not questioning anything about tire wear or mismatching tread patterns or even tire types. I'm talking about the situation at hand, I am being told that replacing a damaged tire with about 14K miles on it with a brand new (full tread) tire, same brand, same size, same tread pattern, there is concern that the diameter difference between the tires due to tread thickness would damage the differentials of a 4wd system.
I have a JKU Rubicon with MT tires and wouldn't expect to throw the unused spare on after running the other 4 down without expecting there to be a problem.
So, my original concern is this: can this really be a problem?....seems unlikely to me. But if so, then the tire protection coverage is really something that is pointless other than it might save you the cost of 1 tire, but the cost of the protection is more than that. And every time someone damages a tire on a select trac vehicle, they gotta buy 4 tires if you've worn them more than 1/3 down.
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
it is and it isn't. they weren't lying to you, i'll put it that way. but their claim of the severity of the need to replace all four or the dawn of the apocalypse would ensue was probably exaggerated.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had a tire warranty on for my AWD Enclave purchased from Pepboys. When 1 of the tires failed I demanded and got a replacement of 2 tires on the same axle. They like to sell the fact the on AWD/4WD vehicles the tread needs to be the same so I used that argument to get 2 for 1.

I got to use this again when the other original tire failed and I got the other 2 replaced
gogogooch is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.