Which model? Need help buying - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-21-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
jscribn1

Which model? Need help buying

Finally going to purchase our first Jeep. Looking at a 4 door Wrangler. I have friends who say to stay away from the 3.8L V6 and to buy 2012 or newer with the 3.6L. It'll be strictly a recreational vehicle towed behind the motorhome, trail driven and used for hunting etc. I'll lift it with 35's as I want a capable wheeler just not going to be doing anything crazy. Is there a model/year that anyone would say for sure to stay away from or any other advice you can give to a newbie? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Justin

2000 WJ Limited
3" OME springs and Bilstein 5100's from Kolak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-21-2017, 05:08 PM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would get something newer than 2011. The 12+ have the 3.6 which is a far better motor. Anything newer than a 14 will have the redesigned head for sure while the 12 and 13's may have the new head IF the recall was done.

Other than the head, the only other issue is the oil bypass valve. Now my 12 hasn't had that issue but again 14 and up will absolutely have the new bypass valve design.

If you are planning on 35's, you will need a 2.5" lift and gears unless you buy a rubicon, then you only need the lift. If not a Rubicon, then get at least 3.73 gears. Most of the lower trim stock units have 3.21's and those are not good for 35's. Any trim below a Rubicon with a factory tow package will have 3.73's.

Always grab a build sheet. All you need is the VIN and this link. https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/e...WGxOMmc2T2w%3D

This gets you the as built configuration and while not perfect depending on what the previous owner did to it, is the best you can get without a lot of digging.

Good luck.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 3 Old 08-21-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
jscribn1

Thanks for the info, that'll help a lot!

2000 WJ Limited
3" OME springs and Bilstein 5100's from Kolak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.