moded vs stock and take it to a shop - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-22-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
missb

moded vs stock and take it to a shop

First off Hi from SoCal,
I've been wanting to buy a JKU for a while now, however I need some opinions on which way to get what I want.
I'd like something aesthetically pleasing but also something that can do light trails. Nothing to aggressive, admittedly I don't have the knowledge yet on how to drive a huge jeep, I'm looking to ease into it.
So here's my question:
Buy something that alreday has the look I want and will get the job done. OR Buy somthing stock and take it to a local shop and have them put on it what I want? And which local shop would you trust? I'm in North County San Diego, CA

Might seem like a dumb question, but I'm looking for opinions.

If I got something, I'd like to put a 2-3.5" lift that would run a 35" tire, with some bumpers/fenders. Steering, gears, shocks, and such will be later adds...

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-22-2017, 04:58 PM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you have a bit of skill and some decent tools and a torque wrench, you can install a lift yourself and save the cost of a shop. It's really not that hard.

You looking at new or used? New, buy it stock and do it yourself of take it to a shop. The dealer will tuck it up your butt if they have done all the mods. Used, you are trusting the PO did it right, I would rather buy stock again and add what you want after you get it.

If you know what was done and with who's components and you have it inspected to make sure it was done right, made sure it runs, drives stops and doesn't have front end shimmy, then maybe buy used with the lift already installed.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 4 Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
no matter what you get and if 35s are in the picture the axle gear ratio is the >>>>#1<<<< thing to know before you buy, new or used. any jeep 2011 and older will need MORE gear than a 2012-up.

2012-up to run 35s fairly well. 3.73:1( base stock is 3.21:1). Better is 4.1:1 but only the Rubicons will have that and with the auto rubi's they are 3.73 stock but option of 4.1:1.

2011-down 35s its more like 4.88-5.13 gears.

no matter how you cut gears are not cheap. can eat up 1500+ so keep this in mind when thinking tire size as it effects a lot.

I know for many its about looks. But that look has a cost and extra to maintain. 35s will wear out components at much faster rate. Even on the street, maybe more so depending on how you drive off road. Its rather common to see ball joints fail very fast. can be a 500+ dollar fix. i went through the stock ones at 20k from brand new heep on 35s. they were totally shot. compared to say my f250 that we just replaced the ball joints after 175,000 miles and that truck does nothing but tow most its 21 years of service. Brakes wear out faster as well since stopping 100 pounds of rubber takes some force to do.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
missb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
no matter what you get and if 35s are in the picture the axle gear ratio is the >>>>#1<<<< thing to know before you buy, new or used. any jeep 2011 and older will need MORE gear than a 2012-up.

2012-up to run 35s fairly well. 3.73:1( base stock is 3.21:1). Better is 4.1:1 but only the Rubicons will have that and with the auto rubi's they are 3.73 stock but option of 4.1:1.

2011-down 35s its more like 4.88-5.13 gears.

no matter how you cut gears are not cheap. can eat up 1500+ so keep this in mind when thinking tire size as it effects a lot.

I know for many its about looks. But that look has a cost and extra to maintain. 35s will wear out components at much faster rate. Even on the street, maybe more so depending on how you drive off road. Its rather common to see ball joints fail very fast. can be a 500+ dollar fix. i went through the stock ones at 20k from brand new heep on 35s. they were totally shot. compared to say my f250 that we just replaced the ball joints after 175,000 miles and that truck does nothing but tow most its 21 years of service. Brakes wear out faster as well since stopping 100 pounds of rubber takes some force to do.

Cran & Doc thank you so much for the replies. Yes I ran 35's on a YukonXl with a small lift, and I know all to well about the upkeep and wear. I don't drive as much anymore, so I feel the wear will be manageable.
Ok, I'm off to educate myself about axel gear ratios!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.