In the market for a JKU - engine questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > In the market for a JKU - engine questions

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
TJMoneypit
2002 TJ Wrangler 

In the market for a JKU - engine questions

In the market for a JKU (keeping the TJ that has been rebuilt beyone any reason of sanity). Don't want to go new but would if I found the right one. I want to hold out for a Rubicon.

I am looking for some advise on the engine differences between 2011 and 2012. Is it worth it to go with the 2012? I am leaning toward automatic, so my wife can drive it. How are the the transmissions through these years? I have a 2012 durango with the pentastar engine and the trans is my only complaint.

Thanks (hopefully I'll have some pics up soon of the new JKU)

TJMoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
mjp83
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2011 jku Sahara. We traded our 08 town and country because of its crappy tranny, just to find out that Chrysler stuck a modified version into the 07 to 11 jeeps!!

I am running 35's and have had them for the last 24 k miles with no complaints. I did regear to 5.13's.

My friend bought a 2012 jku rubri, and I personally did not see what the hype is all about on the new 3.6 liter. I will tell you the 3.8 has great low torque, but sucks passing towing a 2000 lb boat.

I would got with an used 2013 model, as I heard many complaints about the pent star motor having issues in the 2012 wranglers. Also, you get the much better automatic tranny!

We are now in the market for a grand, and I was hoping for the diesel, but the 46k price tag is unreasonable for me. I am not sure what Jeep is thinking. Why I base model diesel?

Good luck. Spend the extra money now, than later on repairs.
mjp83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.