In the market! Have questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > In the market! Have questions.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
BamaHuntin

In the market! Have questions.

Hey guys, in the market for my very first Jeep. Just looking to get a little info if I could. So I'm looking for an early model TJ. A late 90s or early 2000 model. This will just be an extra vehicle but likely one I drive daily while my truck is parked. I'm in no real hurry to buy one and kind of specific on some things. I'm hoping to wait it out till I find what I'm looking for. So far I haven't had much luck finding what I'm looking for which brings me to my questions. Mostly wanting to see what the availability is on some of the must have options I'm looking for. The things I'm looking for is it must be silver, automatic, and 6cly. Would this be a rare combination to find? I know most do not prefer automatics but I just don't want to have to deal with changing gears and I own a automatic transmission shop so issues there aren't a concern for me. One thing I wanted to ask about is the engine size. I've heard from everyone to stay away from the 4cly. Is that a major concern? I may put some after market tires on but nothing excessive. It will not see any serious off roading. Just some hunting trails with the occasional rocks. I don't want to end up with something that does not have the power to get over rocks and regret buying a 4cly over a 6cly.
You guys mind throwing me some suggestions/opinions? I would greatly appreciate all the help.
Thanks
James

BamaHuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The more specific you make your wants, the harder it is going to be to find, but "your Jeep" is out there.

I also had a specific list and it took me awhile to find, plus I extended my search. I found mine own Charlotte NC CraigsList, had a local friend go see it, then I made a trip from north Texas to get it, 6 states, 1100 miles away.

The 6cyl was one of my most haves. Many have the 4cyl, and with proper gearing, can still have power, but your have to run high RPMs to get it and you loose hi way speed. My suggestion is go look at and test drive as many as you can and make your own decision on 4cyl vs 6 cyl.

Auto trannys are desired by many because of better off-road control. For me it was manual, I don't off road and just liked the driving interaction. My TJ is not my primary vehicle.

Engine size, tranny type, color, are just a few of the options Wranglers have, as do other vehicles. Different than any other used vehicle, you also have half/full doors, soft/hard tops, stock/modded, etc. I found that buying a used Jeep much more difficult than any other vehicle.

Be patient, you'll find one, and don't be afaird to expand your search area to get what you really want.

Don't know what your budget is, but here's one. Silver, 6cyl, auto tranny.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/4153914810.html
Unread 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I personally feel the 2.5 is highly under-rated. Unless you are going to do some pretty heavy towing (which shouldn't be done with a jeep anyway), rock-crawling and anything that involves lifting the jeep higher than 2", then the 2.5 liter is fine. In 4L it has all the torque you need for trail work and off road. I had a 2.5 I drove for 35,000 miles without a hiccup. My current 2.5 has nearly 160,000 miles and just had the timing chain replaced. Original pistons, valves, etc. and burns no oil. Tough little dude.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Your wants are not un-reasonable IMO. You could find a decent TJ with your desires. The 4 banger's are decent engine but if you can find one with the I-6, great low end Tq. and very reliable motor! There are tons of those around the SLC area for decent price's as an FYI! Also probably try and find one that's not too modified, like a stocker/ old DD. That way you know for the most part it was not beat to hard.. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.