Manual Jeep Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Manual Jeep Question

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
BDK72
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Manual Jeep Question

Hi all! Love the Forum!

I'm interested in buying a new Wrangler manual and noticed that the shifter is so close to the console/dash that every time I shift to 1st, 3rd or 5th, my knuckles get bashed! Does anyone else experience this problem? I'm really having a hard time with this and might be a deal breaker to getting a new jeep.

Thanks!
Saul

BDK72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
anotherlilguy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Change your grip on the shifter? I don't have that problem at all on mine. But I also adjust my grip depending on which gear I am going to.
anotherlilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unless your hands are freakishly massive... There is something that is causing the shifter to be in the wrong position. Have they done a tummy tuck to the Jeep? have they installed an aftermarket shift knob? Bottom line... My tranny is pushed up 1.5 inches from where it was stock because of my tummy tuck, and I still have a solid 3/4" before my hand would contact the center stack.
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
UTAH

I've had several manual trans Jeeps and the 2012 Rubicon is the latest. I've never noticed a clearance problem in shifting in any of them. I've had to notch the trans tunnel to accommodate body lifts, but the shift lever simply becomes lower with a body lift - it doesnot move forward any more than it used to do.

Bill
Unread 03-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
32vld
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds as if the way you grip and maybe you have the seat to far forward.
32vld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Sounds as if the way you grip and maybe you have the seat to far forward.
The seat would not effect the position of the shifter coming through the floor from the transmission...
LeeMasterGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not a big guy or big hands and have never had this problem or even noticed how close the shifter/knob was to the dash, but I did look today after seeing this thread.

I have at least a 2-3" gap. Like said above, I do also change my hand/grip orientation depending on whether I am shifting to 1,3,5 or 2,4,R. But I have done this for the past 40+ years of driving floor shift.

Maybe there has been some kind of lift etc done to your Jeep to change the position. A possible solution would be to remove the shifter, heat, and put a little more bend in it.
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
silverfish91
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2012 Rubicon manual and only hit the dash once
silverfish91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
roughandtangle
2013 JK Wrangler 

I am going to go try this tonight after work. I haven't noticed this yet.
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

I smash my hand off my shaker bottle when it's in the front cup holder, but never the dash.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.