Looking for an XJ and i have some ???'s - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Alfunk
1998 ZJ 

Looking for an XJ and i have some ???'s

Hey all, Brand new to the Forums, I started a new job about 8 months ago, and i've been putting extra cash away so i could get a 4x4, I have an '80 F-250 4x4 and an '81 f-150 ext. cab 4x4, I love the fords and they're pathetically easy to work on, but those big V8's EAT UP THE GAS(460 in the '80, and a 351m in the '81) Anyway i have about $3800 bucks that i can spend and still ahve money for registration and insurance etc. I have always wanted a Jeep, but I was always a little put off by the Wrangler and the CJ 'cus they are a little small for me(I like camping, and often load up the whole truck when we go out for a couple weeks at a time) and I value my interior hauling space, so I have been looking at getting an XJ for a few months. Anyway, getting to the point, I specifically wanted some input on Lifts and Tires, I figure i can get a decent XJ for about $2k if not less, I'm loojing for between '91 and '94 with the 4.0, I want to put at least 33's on it, and i figure i'd need at least a 3.5 or a 4 inch lift, but I am concerned because i've talked to a few guys over the years and at some point we start talking about lifted trucks and 4x4's, and I have been told that depending on the lift, and the size of the tires if you don't "upgrade" or replace the tranny and/or the diff you can kill them. Basically i want to know if i should be prepared to do a gearset change or something similar if i do a lift like this(4unch lift, 33inch tires) on an otherwise stock Cherokee XJ? also if anyone can think of anything in particular i should look out for or look for when i'm deciding on an XJ(typical problem areas, bad production numbers, that sort of thing) for example i know that on the XJ's they used a few different rear ends and whatnot. also if anyone would recomend a manual over an automatic if one tranny is way weaker than the other. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 AM
troys96xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Stay away from 97,00,01.Get one with the Cryco 8 1/4 axle and auto. To get 33s on it you will need to do alot of cutting with a 3in lift. My buddy has a 90 with 33s and cut the fenders and quarters quite a bit. He runs the stock gearing. 31s are the biggest you can go w/3in lift. You still may have to do some cutting if you do serious rock crawl. I think thats all your questions. You had alot. Highly recommend the XJs, they are awsome. Good luck. Oh, look for high pinion front axle. Always a plus. Low pinion sucks and Dana 35 rear axle sucks too,they break really easy. 8 1/4 is best one. Tranny and tc are good in XJs so dont worry about that.4.0 also bullet proof, amazing motor.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-05-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Alfunk
1998 ZJ 

Hey troy Thanks a ton man, that answers a lot of my questions Thank you, I don't really crawl with the 4x4's we have and I didn't really intend to be doing it with the XJ, but we do cover some pretty rough trails when we go out. I may end up going for evn a 6" lift, I have been looking at pictures and I had assumed a 6" lift would be ridiculous(seeing as I am used to lifts on the old Ford Pickups where 6" is indeed pretty ridiculous lol) but I don't think it would be, I figure I could get 33's on there with a 6" lift with little or no problem. Again, thanks.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troys96xj View Post
Stay away from 97,00,01.Get one with the Cryco 8 1/4 axle and auto..
OP, you may want to be careful who you choose to listen to, as there is a lot of inaccurate info out there, like above.
The later XJ's have the 8 1/4, only difference is that the later ones also get a stronger 8 1/4 rear end 29 spline vs 27 spline axle shafts.
Auto vs Manual is an age old battle. Both the trannys are reliable (AW4 and AX15).
You would be better off going to the XJ section and reading the FAQ section than getting either bad or opinionated answers to your questions.
Just because I have a 98 doesn't mean it would be right for you. Go do some of your own research if you want to avoid bad information.

Martin

1998 XJ on 37's.JK Rubi axles with chromo shafts and ctm's, 4:1 transfer case, etc etc etc.
2003 Range Rover HSE, 4.4 Quad Cam.
1998 Range Rover with a 6.0 LSx
1994 YJ, 4.3/700R4/OME SOA, etc
Western Star 4900EX 4 axle.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.