Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

looking at a TJ. What do you think??

933 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Bill C 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking at the following TJ on Craigslist. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/car/574830172.html
Maybe I can get some input??
It is bone stock, original owner, with about 75K. Never been off road.
What I really want to drive is a TJ, bikini top, with a 4" lift and the biggest tires that will fit.
Here are my questions:
The axle's.......If the rear is a D30 (how can I tell?) will that work for the big tires and simple trail riding?? How involved (other than the obvious) is an axle swap??
What about the front axle?? Anything I should know??
The owner said the Jeep has an interment electrical problem on the guage cluster. He said it was a recall. The dealer repair only lasted a year. I understand that it may be a ground issue. Any input on that??
It has a hard top. How difficult is it to remove for the summer. You know, Southern California winters are brutal (last weekend it was 80 degrees... LOL)
The owner said this jeep was never off road (I had two 4x4 Suburbans like that), what should I be looking for any place else on the vehicle??

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
I am looking at the following TJ on Craigslist. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/car/571891632.html

The axle's.......If the rear is a D30 (how can I tell?) will that work for the big tires and simple trail riding?? How involved (other than the obvious) is an axle swap??
What about the front axle?? Anything I should know??
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bill
the front will be a dana 30. the rear will be a 35 or 44. the gearing tag will be at the 9 o'clock position between bolts on the rear diff cover. see link below for more info, click on axles.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452871

#8 ·
The D35 should be okay with 33" tires as long as you keep the axle open (no locker) But I would recommend carry a spare set of shafts just for some insurance. If your gonna lock it or carry alot of weight then I would
look for a jeep with the D44 option. The D35 looks like the number 0 laying on its side. The D44 is sort of stop sign shaped.

#9 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday....:2thumbsup:....The Jeep was the cleanest of all I looked at (clean but nothing hidden). Seems that a good reliable un-beaten base just makes sense.
I'll be posting in the tech. section asking ALL kinds of advice. In my business its research, research, research, then go! This seems to ALWAYS be the most expensive way to go, however normally the most reliable.
Thanks for all the input.:wave:

Bill

#11 ·
Not yet.........BB & BL, or 4" lift, or something....

Trying to get your mind around all this stuff without actually being able to touch the parts is kinda like reading stereo instructions without the components at hand. NOW THE FUN BEGINS (after I sell the Harley).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.