Hi, new to the forum and the USA.
Just moved over from the UK and looking at a Liberty as a second car/toy tow vehicle/light off-roader. I had a CJ7 years ago and I would like a JKU but its a big price to pay when just setting up over here (you have to have new, unless you want overpriced s/h).
Thinking about it, the Liberty would give about the same space, towing capacity and some ability to play in the dirt for a fraction of the price. Be warned I may refer to it as a Cherokee as thats what they were called in Europe, hope it doesnt start a tirade of what a real cherokee should be
Considering cars around here get a pounding with salt the prices seem high compared to the UK. But its the same for everyone and i cant walk to work.
I have found a 06 Renegade with 110k miles for $6995, i think about 7800 with all the tax and fees paid up.
Seems about on the money and its completely genuine 1 owner normally used car with full service history. So not perfect by any means but nice for what it is.
It runs and drives fairly well, I have been in a new Chevy Equinox hire car for a few months so the steering felt a bit loose but didnt seem to have any real play.
There was a bit of gunk in the oil fill cap, I expect this is condensation from being in the dealership for a fair while.
So onto the questions:
- On the face of it is it a reasonable deal? it seems it from what I can make out.
- Would there be any big service items coming up? I havent seen a Jeep schedule, thinking of engine belts (or is it chain cam), transmission oils etc....
- Anything I should check?
.......4WD works OK
.......There doesnt seem to be any leaks or rattles after giving it a run.
- Would the one with 50k miles on it for 12k really be worth that much?
- It only has 1 key fob for keyless entry with it. I would like another, is this chrysler only to get another or are there aftermarket ones? maybe I can manage with just a key or back-up if thats an option. (not sure if there is a chip inside the key like the euro cars I am used to)
- Would I miss anything from a Limited? heated seats and full time 4WD which I imagine is far safer in the snow is what I can think of. I like the style of the Renegade but like the Sport/Limited so would buy on deal and condition more so than model. (otherwise you soon learn to hate it!)
- Swapping in a full time 4WD transfer case doesnt seem impossible? and I can MTFU about heated seats.
- One of the first jobs will be to install a towing bracket and wiring. I guess these are easy to fit and available for a few $00's.
Once it warms up outside I would be doing all the work myself. So we need to get through the first few months of next year without any problems if we can help it.
Grands and Commanders seem to be about a similar price and better equipped but the Missus isnt keen on the size and she will use it sometimes. I hope the benefit will be slightly better fuel economy and in reality there is enough space for us 99% of the time.
I dont think we will rely on this as our only car and something more fuel efficient would be good when we dont need the abilities of the Jeep but it will be a DD for a 12mile commute.
Any answers, comments and wisdom will be appreciated.