Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking at this jeep

999 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  AdamH07 
#1 ·
I'm looking at this jeep and curious if it's a good buy. There are a lot of parts listed that I don't know what they do (yet) so an help would be great. He wants 13k and I'm in CA. Here goes.

1983 Jeep CJ 7 that has been built extremely well with a lot of thought and consideration put into the build. It was built to be a simple strong reliable Jeep that can be driven to Rubicon or Moab at 75 mph at 2100 rpm's, wheeled for the weekend then driven home without failure. Here is a breakdown do the specifics:
Original Sebring Red paint
Original interior
Factory soft top Jeep
Throttle Body Injected Chevy 350 smog legal conversion
Howell EFI wire harness and ECM
Bowtie Overdrives stage 3 700 R4 automatic transmission
B&M Hi-Tec transmission cooler
Advance Adapters 700 R4
Dana 300 with Currie twin sticks
High Angle Driveline E Brake system
Dana 44 axels with 4:56 gears
Xtreme Off Road high steer heim kit
High angle driveline
Vanco Hydroboost brake kit
Custom stainless steel braided lines throughout
37" Goodyear Mud Terrains
SOA 2.5" wrangler springs
Daystar 1" body lift
Slick rock hangers
Greasable shackles
Warn winch XD9000i
Currie front and rear bumpers
Full roll cage with Simpson seat belts

The pics look good, I just want to know what I'm looking at. Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Custom built jeep. How well built? Who knows? The expertise of the builder? Who knows. 37" Tires? Really? Ultra high lift. 75 MPH on the road? Not with me in there.

Some dude put a ton of money into an old jeep and made a toy out of it and now wants his money back. Good luck. No dealership would touch this thing.

Extreme off road indeed. I would pay $3k for it and then sell the parts. Then you could buy a Monster Truck or something.

#5 ·
You guys know **** about cj's. They are going up in value. I just sold mine for 12k. If it's built right I would say its close. More like 10k. And cj stock spring over will give you 4-5" lift. So with 2.5" wrangler lift springs they are softer and handle bumps on roads better. I would do what my buyer did. He asked me to drive it on the freeway first to see if I was full of it. We got up to 75 no problems. If he can prove to you he's not full of crap and his jeep is what he says it is I'd consider it. While all these 40k jeeps are depreciating yours will be appreciating. That is if you take care of it and it isn't all rusted out.

#9 ·
Had it listed for 12500 and I had at least 5 emails/calls a day. I guess maybe the economy matters but here in Texas in Craigslist you don't find cj7 going for less than 5k unless it's in pieces or rusted straight through. Granted the guy I sold it to drove from another state and everyone that looked at it said it was the best one they saw. I got at least 5 offers over 10k. I would say keep looking long enough and you'll know when your getting a good deal. More than likely if he spent money on fuel injection, lockers, suspension, and many other upgrades like it sounds, and you take these guys advice on offering 3k or so, he's liable to shoot your ***.

#7 ·
The OP, since there is no pics and even IF, no one can see enough with a pic to judge much(unless there is many of the build). Is 13K a lot for a CJ yes it might be for this one. NO one here knows. The bad news is you do not know what to look for it sounds like anyway, drive line angle issues. So at best all you can do is drive it at 75mph. Be sure it has enough stopping power. 37"s at 75mph have a bunch of rolling mass. Unless money is nothing for you. Better figure the MAX you will pay for it. In cash. Barter to that price. When they wont go down to your point. Last resort is to "show the money". say example its 8K, they would not go under 10K. Cash talks. 37"s are expensive tires. close to 400+-. MPG will not be good. DD? In Cali? You drive much have a second CAR?

#8 ·
although it is true cj's are goin up in value, once you replace the drivetrain, as he has, that usually makes them worth less in my area. for 13k you could buy a stock one and do with it what you want. the good thing is, if you buy this one, the 350 chevy is easy to work on and cheap.

#10 ·
Good Choice-1983 Jeep CJ 7, I can say this because I have owned three jeeps and none have disappointed. On that note, lose the stock tires, they have always stunk (all have been Goodyears AT Trackers). Buy a good set of tires that are off road rated. Stick with the soft top and some cool accessories. You can't be very spontaneaous with a hard top and it spends most of it's time on your garage floor taking up valuable junk or toy space. Buy one, take the roads less traveled, and have a picnic basket lunch where most can't, and above all have a Great time with a special jeep!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.