Looking at First Purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking at First Purchase

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looking at First Purchase

I have been lurking for some time but the time has come for me to scratch the Jeep itch.

I am interested in getting into a 2009-2011 JK Unlimited in the next month. I'd love to find a used mall crawler that I can introduce to at least some dirt roads.
This will be an around town, trailhead, beach, all around family fun time vehicle so I am looking at stock Jeeps and plan on keeping it stock (as of now).

I feel like I want dual tops, actually think i need a hardtop for winter, but want a soft top for summer/fall. Any issues in buying a used soft top? Will 2007 on fit any JKU? Or do I need to match the year?

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for as far as specific issues for the model years mentioned ?
Also don't want to open a can of worms but is the "dreaded" Death Wobble a come and go thing or will I see that on test drives?

Talk me in or out of taking the plunge.

Thanks in advance.

HDJEEP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJEEP33 View Post
I have been lurking for some time but the time has come for me to scratch the Jeep itch.

I am interested in getting into a 2009-2011 JK Unlimited in the next month. I'd love to find a used mall crawler that I can introduce to at least some dirt roads.
This will be an around town, trailhead, beach, all around family fun time vehicle so I am looking at stock Jeeps and plan on keeping it stock (as of now).

I feel like I want dual tops, actually think i need a hardtop for winter, but want a soft top for summer/fall. Any issues in buying a used soft top? Will 2007 on fit any JKU? Or do I need to match the year?

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for as far as specific issues for the model years mentioned ?
Also don't want to open a can of worms but is the "dreaded" Death Wobble a come and go thing or will I see that on test drives?

Talk me in or out of taking the plunge.

Thanks in advance.
First off, welcome the Forum and the Jeep lifestyle! Do some looking around on here and I guarantee you won't want to keep it stock for long.
You ask some good questions, there's a ton of info on the boards you can find just by doing a search and checking out the JK FAQ

You'll be better off buying the Jeep with a hardtop then buying a Soft Top from the aftermarket. They are much cheaper than the hardtop to buy later on. There are a ton of different options for tops, you'll definitely want to check out.

There are definitely a few things you'll wan to look out for across the model years. The 07-11 wranglers have the 3.8L motor, which is a little bit underpowered for some people. Since you don't plan on modding it heavily, you should be fine with it though.

Death Wobble is usually common in lifted Jeeps, if it's on a stock Jeep the dealer needs to look into it. You'll definitely notice it on the test drive though, it will happen around 40-60 mph. I drove several Jeeps before I decided on the one I wanted, so I recommend doing that too.

I hope this helps! Fell free to let me know if you have any other questions.

-Zach
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

Follow up question.

I like the look of the Sports/X's with the bigger wheels and running boards. I see a lot of base sports with the 17 inch(?) aluminum wheels and no rock boards in my area significantly cheaper.

Realistically what would it cost to get the upgraded stock wheels/tires and running boards after the fact? I figure I could run the 17's as snows. I am not opposed to buying off Craigslist, etc...

And is the Sahara trim worth paying a premium for? Is it just the colored fenders and creature comforts or am I over looking something?

I will be happy with a basic interior as long as it has power windows/AC, don't need GPS or a fancy shift knob.
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Adam013085

Sahara is just a trim package with everything you mentioned.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

As my search continues I am coming across more and more softtops. No hardtops. Am I crazy considering a softtop only in the Northeast?
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

The time has come I will be looking at a 2 08 Sahara's Saturday.

The first has 45k and is certified , but that only buys me 3 months 3k miles. It has hardtop, auto, and NAV which I really don't need/want. Silver which I like. Asking price is $24,900 and has been sitting since 3/30 at a Jeep dealership. This hit my radar due to a price drop.

The second has 49k, not certified. Hardtop , auto. I want to call it Slate Blue, which I am good with. Asking price is $22,900 at an independent dealer.

Both seem pretty similar in condition from what I can tell in pictures.

Both have clean Carfaxes.

Any wisdom from the collective? What is a fair price for one of these in the northeast?
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
jazalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJEEP33
The time has come I will be looking at a 2 08 Sahara's Saturday.

The first has 45k and is certified , but that only buys me 3 months 3k miles. It has hardtop, auto, and NAV which I really don't need/want. Silver which I like. Asking price is $24,900 and has been sitting since 3/30 at a Jeep dealership. This hit my radar due to a price drop.

The second has 49k, not certified. Hardtop , auto. I want to call it Slate Blue, which I am good with. Asking price is $22,900 at an independent dealer.

Both seem pretty similar in condition from what I can tell in pictures.

Both have clean Carfaxes.

Any wisdom from the collective? What is a fair price for one of these in the northeast?

Check in PR ad well, I just bought one 7k under recommended value and it was only $800 to ship to JAX...
jazalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Adam013085

A JKU Sahara for those prices are not horrible. They are fairly low mileage as well. If they are 2 door then they are a bit high, but they would sell for those prices where I live for a 4 door sahara.
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

Picked up a silver Sahara hardtop with 45k on the clock this afternoon. Just need to get a softtop now. I am thinking new in box from dealer to avoid issues, they quoted 1400, sound reasonable?
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Adam013085

I would look aftermarket or search craiglist. There are never used soft tops on CL at times for a good price.
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

Any reason not to go with a Bestop?
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Adam013085

Bestop are good
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

Picked up a like new original top from a 2008 that was taken off and never used.

Now I need to figure out how to put it on and where/how to store the hardtop until fall.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.