JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Buying Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/)
-   -   Looking at a cherokee (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/looking-cherokee-1267742/)

dbdyj 09-21-2011 07:40 PM

Looking at a cherokee

I was wondering if this cherokee is worth $5k...

89 jeep cherokee
brand new 4.0L with 2 year unlimited mileage warrenty with papers
rebuilt transmission
rebuilt up graded transfer case
7.5 in rustys off road lift kit
4:10 gears detroit locker in rear
K&N intake rustys off road throttle body spacer
new radiator, a/c, power steering gear box, alternator, starter, new flow master exhaust, 5 new BFG all-terrian 33in tires.
Front stinger bumper
rear heavy duty off road bumper and tire rack.

I've been told that the new 4.0 has 4000 miles on it and the tranny was rebuilt. The interior is also bedlined. I'm kinda worried about the d35 in the rear though, it has a detroit locker and I haven't read many good things about a locked d35.

So is it worth more or less than 5k?

Here's the CL link... http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2593029417.html

dbdyj 09-22-2011 01:25 AM

It also comes with a superwinch and on-board air, and now it has rocker guards.

egodfrey 09-22-2011 06:43 AM

Its prolly worth 5k...

What overall miles does it have

Also your going to hate 7.5" on short arms

Id offer 4500, get an xj d44 swap that in or an 8.8 if you weld, replace the 2 piece shaft in the front if it isnt already a one piece and save towards long arms, or at minumum drop bracket for the arms

chris87xj 09-22-2011 09:24 AM

and it's a 2 door. :2thumbsup:
Nice rear bumper too. He's got more than 5k in it. Probably some spacer and shackle in that lift that could come out.
Buying any 24 year old vehicle would make me nervous, not many around that age and still in good shape. Good news on the power train being much newer, though he didn't mention what tranny is in it or what the odometer reads. If it was from snow country I'd be wary of rust. Being in Texas, that might not be an issue though I'd probably still take a close look at the underbody and maybe try to poke my finger though the floorboards and rocker panels.
It looks like its still got pretty clean lines on it. If it was local, I'd certainly have a look at it but don't know if I could fork out the cash sight unseen. Sweet old xj's are just oh so rare.

dbdyj 09-22-2011 07:20 PM

It only has 4000 miles on the BRAND NEW engine, and the rebuilt tranny, but the body has about 160k on it. The hood has some paint chips from the trail, but Icould care less about the appearance.

I'm not completely sure if I want to part with my YJ, though, but it has 164k miles and is getting to the end of its life...

egodfrey 09-22-2011 08:01 PM

Id pull the trigger on it

dbdyj 09-23-2011 01:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Have any of y'all ditched a yj/wrangler for a cherokee? That's the one thing I'm debating...

P.S. Got some more pics. You can see the dings in the hood once you zoom in, but it doesn't bother me. It looks like it has some rust next to the turn signal, in front of the front fenders

chris87xj 09-23-2011 01:24 AM

There's a somewhat obvious color mismatch between the doghouse and the back half, indicating some swappage for whatever it's worth. The brighter white on the fenders is a newer color than the creamy white used in the late 80's.

Looks like the passenger front fender could be damaged, but they're easily replaced. I see a High-Lift jack on the back too. He doesn't mention a SYE but you'd kinda hope it's got one. Not sure what that front bumper is about, almost looks like a stinger, winch plate, and Reese type hitch joined up without a bumper in there.

The build components and winch look fairly new to me, but then I'm used to the terrible toll mid-western winters take on vehicles and components, so my perspective may be off base.

The time now is 07:04 PM.