Looking at buying an 02 Tj with a 5.3 Vortec - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking at buying an 02 Tj with a 5.3 Vortec

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
03tjx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at buying an 02 Tj with a 5.3 Vortec

Hey guys, I have recently found a 2002 Tj with a 5.3 vortec swapped in it on craigslist. My parents have been looking for a jeep for a while and having the v8 sounds like to much fun. I called the guy and he knows nothing about it because it was a trade in. He doesnt know what transmission is behind it down to what lift is on it. So i was wondering does anyone have any tips on what to look for to know if the swap was done right and if im buying someones mess up or a jeep that the dealer just doesnt know what he has? Thanks in advance

03tjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Look for obvious things like booger welds vs a nice set of engine mounts. Any major leakage, any hacked, dangling, or otherwise shoddy wiring. I do inspections for a used car lot, easy to tell if they will fetch a penny or go to scrap. Even ask them to put it on the lift to inspect the underside, if they decline take it to your mechanic on the test drive. If I buy any vehicle ill point out every little thing and nickel and dime you down to nothing. All it takes is common sense. If they are clueless, jew them down a bit because this or that "could have been done better"
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
03tjx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That was my plan. I need to figure out how to determine what transmission is behind it.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
TMLoftis
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tjx View Post
That was my plan. I need to figure out how to determine what transmission is behind it.
Is it standard or auto?

With either look for an adapter between the two. If there's an adapter that tells you it's most likely a jeep tranmission/ transfercase.

If not it's a gm transmission.

For gm auto it'll probably be a 4L60E
Standard it'll have to be a nv3500 or possible(not likely) Nv4500.

For factory jeep
Standard it'll be either an ax15, nv3550, or nsg370. If 6 speed obviously it's the nsg.

I'd say probably not a jeep auto but I'm not familiar with them so maybe someone else will chime in.
TMLoftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
03tjx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It is an auto. From the pictures you can see the original shifter on the inside of the jeep. I don't know if that means anything or not.
Unread 11-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Pics would help a lot but if it is an auto i'm gonna say it is the 4l60e. On a 5.3 swap if it drives well there isnt going to be much that could have been done poorly besides wiring. Unless the drivetrain was setup with a transfer case drop or something like that. When you test drive it make sure it doesnt overheat, check for an aftermarket radiator.

Out of curiosity how much are the listing it for?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
03tjx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The craigslist pictures do not show the underside at all. And i do not really have anything against a transfer case drop because my current tj has one. It doesnt look the best but it has worked good for the budget im on seeing as im still in college. I can see in the pictures its got a quite large aftermarket radiator so it should not overheat. They are asking 8995 which i feel is underpriced but i feel like the dealer does not know what he has. It even has a two piece aftermarket hardtop. I should be going to look at it saturday. Thanks for the info guys
Unread 11-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds like a good price. I wouldn't take less than that for my YJ haha.

I wasn't knocking the transfer case drop, but depending on the motor mounts that were used it may be difficult to raise the drive train enough to mount it without the spacers if you wanted to.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.