Looking to buy a used YJ (Need some advice about the 2.5 vs 4.0) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking to buy a used YJ (Need some advice about the 2.5 vs 4.0)

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
descent03

Looking to buy a used YJ (Need some advice about the 2.5 vs 4.0)

95'

It will not be a DD, it will be used to toy around town and hit the trails for some moderate off-road, nothing super heavy.

I found a low rust 88k miles yj for a good price but it has the 2.5 vs the 4.0 (I have been on the lookout for the 4.0).

Should I keep waiting for the 4.0? looking for some opinions from people who are non dd Jeepers.

Side info....

Jeep has a 3 inch suspension lift, Dana 44 and ford 8.8, working AC (kind of a must out here in the hotter areas of socal) and has very minimal surface rust, drives great. Just really stuck on the motor and am on the fence about it.

descent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

4.0 or bust....

Only way I would consider a 2.5 or 4.2 is if it was a really good deal.
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
AppStateTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I loved my 2.5 YJ but don't expect to drive it to the beach. Highways will be virtually out if the question.
AppStateTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

2.5 not bad

Sure, I would prefer the 4.0, but my 2.5 tools down the highway just fine as long as you keep it under 65. No long Interstate trips recommended, but crawling around the farm in low range... not a problem at all. Local into town and back are perfect. The reason I bought it, high mileage and all, was because of a super price, no rust (I mean NONE) anywhere, very little oil leakage and everything works except the dash clock. Everything. I would say if you find a 2.5 that pushes all your buttons, get it. If you find a 4.0 that does the same thing, then get that.

Last edited by WDNewman; 07-28-2013 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: more info added
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStateTJ
I loved my 2.5 YJ but don't expect to drive it to the beach. Highways will be virtually out if the question.
I've driven my 2.5L XJ on the beach and on long loose sugar sand trails, not sure why you say this. I always cruise on the highway at 65-70mph all day no problem but its all flat ground in the south.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
AppStateTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
I've driven my 2.5L XJ on the beach and on long loose sugar sand trails, not sure why you say this. I always cruise on the highway at 65-70mph all day no problem but its all flat ground in the south.
I meant TO the beach, I bet it would be a great beach rig if you lived close. I agree with the highway driving if it's flat. I sold mine because I went school in the mountains of NC and it was a dog up those hills at highway speeds.
AppStateTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.