Looking to buy a TJ need opinions!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking to buy a TJ need opinions!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Reply
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
fcslevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Leesburg, Florida
Posts: 10
Looking to buy a TJ need opinions!!

Good morning all! I will be a second time Jeep owner as I shortly had a 2000 Wrangler 2.5L Automatic. I am looking to buy another TJ 97-06 and needed your opinions. I prefer an automatic but I can drive stick so that is an option. my main issue is engine choice....

I have found many 99-01 Wrangler 2.5L Manual out there and the mileage is around 100K Priced around 6-7K...how long are these good for?
I found a 2006 Wrangler 2.4L Manual with only 67k and priced at $8800 but isn't this the PT Cruiser engine...how reliable and long lasting are these?
I also found 2 4.0L Wranglers in my price range a 99 Sahara Automatic with 83K $7700 and a 05 X Manual with 308K....yes that's 308K miles for only $3990.
Just trying to figure out which is the better power-train/engine/transmission and the better value for my money. I am very tempted to get the 05 with the 308K miles and just save the remainder of the money for a used engine and transmission when the time comes. Thank you for your input. Chris

fcslevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcslevin View Post
Good morning all! I will be a second time Jeep owner as I shortly had a 2000 Wrangler 2.5L Automatic. I am looking to buy another TJ 97-06 and needed your opinions. I prefer an automatic but I can drive stick so that is an option. my main issue is engine choice....

I have found many 99-01 Wrangler 2.5L Manual out there and the mileage is around 100K Priced around 6-7K...how long are these good for?
I found a 2006 Wrangler 2.4L Manual with only 67k and priced at $8800 but isn't this the PT Cruiser engine...how reliable and long lasting are these?
I also found 2 4.0L Wranglers in my price range a 99 Sahara Automatic with 83K $7700 and a 05 X Manual with 308K....yes that's 308K miles for only $3990.
Just trying to figure out which is the better power-train/engine/transmission and the better value for my money. I am very tempted to get the 05 with the 308K miles and just save the remainder of the money for a used engine and transmission when the time comes. Thank you for your input. Chris
I would go with the 4.0!
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
fcslevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Leesburg, Florida
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
I would go with the 4.0!
Which one the 99 with the 83K and auto for $7700 or the 05 for $3990 with the 308K miles and manual? Is it worth the risk for the mileage and the price difference to go with the 05 and save for a new motor?
fcslevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcslevin View Post
Which one the 99 with the 83K and auto for $7700 or the 05 for $3990 with the 308K miles and manual? Is it worth the risk for the mileage and the price difference to go with the 05 and save for a new motor?
I would go with lower miles for sure I have an 02 wrangler and I love it! I belive the 99s are very similar. The one with 83k will probably be a lot more for you money thinking of all the life it has left in it. Are they all bone stock?
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
fcslevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Leesburg, Florida
Posts: 10
yes everything I am looking at is bone stock and looks to not be abused....I hope
fcslevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
chevy2169
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Amherst, MA
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcslevin View Post
yes everything I am looking at is bone stock and looks to not be abused....I hope
Lower mileage is better most of the time. However, just because something has 300k plus miles on it doesnt mean that's the original engine. It could have been replaced.
__________________
Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
fcslevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Leesburg, Florida
Posts: 10
any feedback on the 2.4L anyone? I have yet to talk to anyone on a forum with one to speak of its reliability and or longevity. I am going to probably still look at the one with the 300k to see what it looks like in person
fcslevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Markmontana
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mesquite, Nevada
Posts: 52
skip the 4 cyl and wait for a 4.0
Markmontana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
fcslevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Leesburg, Florida
Posts: 10
sounds like a plan from what everyone is saying!!! 6 cyl here I come
fcslevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcslevin View Post
sounds like a plan from what everyone is saying!!! 6 cyl here I come
I think the straight 6 is an awesome engine all around.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
bigred33
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: duluth, georgia
Posts: 1,153
My 4banger has 170k and runs fine, bought it with ~70k on it. I did pretty much swap out the ignition system and electricals on top of the usual maintenance items, but all original drivetrain still, clutch included on a 5sp. Weekend toy though for the past 4 years after being my dd for 9. They can last.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
jeepwrangler97
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 3,697
I say get the 05 w/308k on it & just plan on throwing in a stroker & rebuilding the trans sometime soonish

One aspect of that high of mileage...it was most likely well maintained if it truly has that many miles...

Obviously a lot of stuff wears after that many miles, but some of the stuff will be worn on the older ones too, just from age.

Or the get the other 4.0...

Edit: 05s have the opda issue...but if that really had 308k miles, it didn't have the issue or its been taken care of

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Itstime
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Helena, Montana
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I say get the 05 w/308k on it & just plan on throwing in a stroker & rebuilding the trans sometime soonish

One aspect of that high of mileage...it was most likely well maintained if it truly has that many miles...

Obviously a lot of stuff wears after that many miles, but some of the stuff will be worn on the older ones too, just from age.

Or the get the other 4.0...

Edit: 05s have the opda issue...but if that really had 308k miles, it didn't have the issue or its been taken care of

Sent by a messenger bird
Thats also a great idea im saving for a stocker after my engine goes!
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
fcslevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Leesburg, Florida
Posts: 10
looks like I will be taking a look at some of these tomorrow hopefully!!!
fcslevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
fcslevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Leesburg, Florida
Posts: 10
didn't get to look at much today besides a very expensive 05 Sahara for 20k at Jeep dealer lol....I'm dreaming!! Sadly I have realized it is going to be very hard to find a 6 cyl auto with a/c.....but I will look until I find the perfect one!!
fcslevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.