Looking to buy a TJ. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking to buy a TJ.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 11-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
skidatter

Looking to buy a TJ.

Aright, so I'm about to graduate "Power Lineman" school and since my truck is most likely not going to make the 650mi drive home ( Transmission dying ). I am wanting to buy myself my first Jeep.

I have an idea of what I want in a Jeep, but there is also a lot I don't know to look out for any help is appreciated.

My budget is around $9-10,000
I want

-As stock as possible
-Standard Trans.
-4.0L
-Prefer Hardtop, but I can manage

Mechanically speaking what should I look out for when buying a used TJ, the only thing I know to look for is worn clutch, leaks, front end damage, death wobble, drive shaft play, things like that..

skidatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Look for a rig with a Dana 44 rear axle (you can find pics on google). Also look very closely at the frame and undercarriage for rust issues. Pay close attention to the area around the tcase skid, underside of the front fenders, and make sure to stick your fingers inside the frame at all access points to check for rust chunks. Rust is your greatest enemy with these rigs, especially in the northeast.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
AZtrailtrider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

HAHA most jeeps have those problems "Mechanically speaking what should I look out for when buying a used TJ, the only thing I know to look for is worn clutch, leaks, front end damage, death wobble, drive shaft play, things like that.. "
AZtrailtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
skidatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
Look for a rig with a Dana 44 rear axle (you can find pics on google). Also look very closely at the frame and undercarriage for rust issues. Pay close attention to the area around the tcase skid, underside of the front fenders, and make sure to stick your fingers inside the frame at all access points to check for rust chunks. Rust is your greatest enemy with these rigs, especially in the northeast.

Is the Dana 44 specific to only certain packages of the wrangler like Saharas & Sports?
skidatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sahara and sport were offered with either the Dana 35 or 44. The "X" model was only offered with the Dana 35. Rubicon came standard with the 44.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
jimhensley
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Is the Dana 35 that big of an issue?
jimhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Bmann412
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhensley
Is the Dana 35 that big of an issue?
It's not that big of an issue it depends on what u want to do with it. If u are going to offroad a lot and put big tires on then u would want a Dana 44. If your mainly staying on paved roads and doing light to mild off-roading then the Dana 35 should be fine
Bmann412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.