Looking to buy my first jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking to buy my first jeep

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
brianfulcher15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looking to buy my first jeep

I am looking to buy my first jeep and Im in NC.

Im looking at a 1990 V8 Swapped Wrangler. I would like to know if this is legal to drive in NC. I know several CJ's have V8's but most I find in my budget (5500 or less) seem to be in pretty bad shape, or need work. I really like the one I have found, but the inspection may be a deal breaker if it wont pass.

here's the specs

Dana 44 axles with 4:88 gears, chevy 350 engine with 650 holly. Front and rear electronic lockers

6" lift suspension/ body lift. dual exhaust with flowmaster mufflers

It does not have a cat, which I could see it needing to pass, but im more concerned with it having the V8.

brianfulcher15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wish i could help I know in a lot of state will allow swaps as long as they are replaced with newer or more efficient engines.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
brianfulcher15
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The owner said he had it registered before, and that at the inspections they never even opened the hood, just checked for the lights to work, and for a cat under it, but he said the owner before him also had it on the road so I guess it may be safe.
brianfulcher15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I Dont know what year the cat was first placed in a CJ.. maybe it wasnt needed in the 80 year.. although Im pretty sure it was. Id buy it and take it for inspection. IF it passes great. If not they will tell you why and you can fix or add the needed items.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Make the Deal

Conditional on it passing inspection at a place you choose and not the seller.

Have seller drop vehicle off or wait for the inspection at the place you selected and if it passes than you buy. Place of inspection should be on the receipt.

The reason for a place you select is I know places where for a case of beer or a twenty I can get an inspection sticker. Sure its the same in NC.

Not sure if NC has yearly inspections but you dont want to run into a problem 12mos from now.

EPA regs I believe state that your vehicle must pass emission regs for which ever is newer the vehicle or the engine. Your Jeep with a 90 engine would have to pass 90 model year emission regs. Not sure how that effects you in NC.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.