looking to buy jeep, whats the differences? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > looking to buy jeep, whats the differences?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 09-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
kenoobie604

looking to buy jeep, whats the differences?

Hello fellow jeep enthusiasts! I am wondering about the differences about the wrangler rubicon vs the sport, I am on a budget and would like to purchase 2012 to newer, I like the idea of the rubicon for the out of the box, ready to go, but however due to being on a budget I would like to get the jeep and throw some parts on it and make it my own (not just a cookie cutter jeep) that being said im not 100% on the options I have to choose from the dealer ship, I like how the rubicon has the sway disconnect, im not positive on the difference about the axles (I think I know but am not sure and don't feel like saying foolish things that im uncertain about :P) I have tools and the willingness to work on it myself that's why I was consittering the sport, but I don't feel like doing serious work because it would be my daily driver// weekend warrior and couldn't afford to take time off of work, any help would be greatly appreciated.

sidenote, my one friend who bought a rubicon is willing to give me his 4:10 gears, suspension and his rims and whatever stuff he replaces on his jeep. but I plan on throwing in a 4.5 lift on it so I wil not need the suspension.

kenoobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

the plain jeep is a total capable jeep for off road, the rubicon has stronger axles, lockers, better gear ration in the transfer case
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
seanmagen
1983 CJ7 

The rubicon is a complete package
And the sport is the most basic u can get no power window no electric lock

I would buy the Sahara it has a lot in in stock I very off-road capable it's what I have. Then if u have a few thousands to spare u can get a nice 2 and half in lift
4.88 ratio
1.5 inch spacers
35 wheels
Winch
And more add a cb and u be good to go u should have no problem off-roading
seanmagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
JeepCares

You could browse the Wranglers (under Vehicles) on Jeep.com. Things do change from year to year, but that might give you a better idea of what comes on which model. You'd still have to check the particular jeep you were looking at to see what was actually on it. There is optional equipment that might have been added.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just curious: What are you going to be doing with it that requires 4.5" of lift? Is that for looks? ...I'm on Jeep # 8 and never went more then 2.5 or 3".

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
kenoobie604

Personally, its for functionality, it dosent hurt to look badass though. I know alot of places and am blessed to be living in British Columbia Canada. In the mountainy areas pits of trails and roads that arent maintained all the time and get washed out in the spring and there gets to be some big *** divits and lots of rock crawling mostly concerned about high Centre. But I'd need to get something set up that's a gnarly offroad weekend warrior but won't compromise commuting to much. That being said it's not being done to crawl mall pavement.
kenoobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
06-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sounds great. the problem is(depending on your budget) if you throw 35in tires on a sport with stock gears, your gas mileage will be in the pooper more than jeeps already are. you might wobble on the highway and have a loss in power from the 3.6. your best option is to go rubicon, you will get more for your money. lockers, bigger engine, 4:10 axle ratio, would have no problem running big ol' 35's at 65.
06-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
IAreKyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-TJ
sounds great. the problem is(depending on your budget) if you throw 35in tires on a sport with stock gears, your gas mileage will be in the pooper more than jeeps already are. you might wobble on the highway and have a loss in power from the 3.6. your best option is to go rubicon, you will get more for your money. lockers, bigger engine, 4:10 axle ratio, would have no problem running big ol' 35's at 65.
what do you mean they have a bigger engine? I thought all 2012+ has the 3.6?
IAreKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
06-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAreKyle
what do you mean they have a bigger engine? I thought all 2012+ has the 3.6?
I did some research and you're right. All 2012+ come with the 3.6.....my bad lol I have a tj so the inline 6 is all I know
06-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
IAreKyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06-TJ
I did some research and you're right. All 2012+ come with the 3.6.....my bad lol I have a tj so the inline 6 is all I know
I'm also a tj guy so I thought you may know something I didn't lol.
IAreKyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.