JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep Buying Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/)
-   -   Looking to buy first YJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/looking-buy-first-yj-1493161/)

conorcolton 03-14-2013 12:40 AM

Looking to buy first YJ
 
Hey there everyone. First day on the forum. First Jeep purchase looking to be made.

Going to check this out on Saturday.

Need information on anything you think would help a first time buyer... as far as what to look for, what questions to ask, how to properly test drive, things to look for etc.

I am not sure if it is truly as good as it seems, anyone know the jeep personally? seen it around?

Thoughts on the swap from the 1997 TJ... he has no reciepts
Price has been lowered to $6000 actually, is willing to take $5500! is it worth it!!?

HELP ME BUY MYSELF A JEEP!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...586513324.html

Dluenz 03-14-2013 02:51 AM

If its going to be your daily driver you will hate the little four angry squirrels. I drove one And couldn't do it.

conorcolton 03-14-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dluenz
If its going to be your daily driver you will hate the little four angry squirrels. I drove one And couldn't do it.

Just because of the tires? It will be more than a DD i want the ability to 4x4 at will

Dluenz 03-15-2013 12:38 AM

No the 4cyl just has absolutely no get up.

DipCope 03-16-2013 12:24 AM

a lot of guys rip on the 4cyl as gutless and it is. I can get it up to about 75 on the freeway (on a flat surface). Be picky about what you want. It is easy to fall in love with the first jeep you drive. What is your max price you can afford? If you could spend a little more a tj is much nicer ride and it got rid of the springs and went to a coil suspension. the 4cyl off road does every bit as good as the i6. If you plan on going to bigger tires and axles then get the i6.

conorcolton 03-16-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DipCope
a lot of guys rip on the 4cyl as gutless and it is. I can get it up to about 75 on the freeway (on a flat surface). Be picky about what you want. It is easy to fall in love with the first jeep you drive. What is your max price you can afford? If you could spend a little more a tj is much nicer ride and it got rid of the springs and went to a coil suspension. the 4cyl off road does every bit as good as the i6. If you plan on going to bigger tires and axles then get the i6.

That is my fear. Just loving the thing as soon as I see it... I want it to be a mix between daily. And off road... I'd say my absolute max would be like 10... I'd like to be paying under 8. Forsure. Any ideas?

DipCope 03-16-2013 06:58 PM

I would go with a tj man. You could get a nice one around 8k and still have a little wiggle room. I rode in my buddies yj and the tj to me is better as far as ride goes. I wouldn't want to drive that thing with 35s with the 4 banger. I am running a 2.5in body lift with 32x11.5x15 bfg a/t ko's and it goes a lot of places and I get about 16mpg. I do a lot more hunting than trails but I did a 3rated trail just fine.

soonermatt 03-16-2013 07:16 PM

I have a YJ built very similar to that one. If I were going to buy a YJ I would get that one. If I were going to buy a jeep in that price range I would get a 4.0 TJ. If I were going to buy any jeep I would buy a Rubi LJ or Unlimited.

conorcolton 03-16-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonermatt
I have a YJ built very similar to that one. If I were going to buy a YJ I would get that one. If I were going to buy a jeep in that price range I would get a 4.0 TJ. If I were going to buy any jeep I would buy a Rubi LJ or Unlimited.

Haha ya. I went to look at today... Tub is just rust ****ed. Lol. So bad. Holes n **** in the rear where the roll bar links up. And he's firm on the price. So I'm not super willing to fork out the money for a project. Lookin to simply buy and drive. Lift and tires. Not a whole lot else. I am pretty sure I found the one. A 1999 4l I6 5 speed. Lady driven. Can't complain. Just stock and mint. Gonna do the lift and stuff on my own. It's for 4500 too. Just wants rid of it. Thanks for all the help. Any known issues with a 99 4l TJ?

soonermatt 03-16-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conorcolton (Post 15145515)

Haha ya. I went to look at today... Tub is just rust ****ed. Lol. So bad. Holes n **** in the rear where the roll bar links up. And he's firm on the price. So I'm not super willing to fork out the money for a project. Lookin to simply buy and drive. Lift and tires. Not a whole lot else. I am pretty sure I found the one. A 1999 4l I6 5 speed. Lady driven. Can't complain. Just stock and mint. Gonna do the lift and stuff on my own. It's for 4500 too. Just wants rid of it. Thanks for all the help. Any known issues with a 99 4l TJ?

There are a couple things they improved later on but nothing glaring comes to mind. You'll eventually need to do front end maintenance on the ball joints, tie rod ends and other linkages. It's just a fact of life with TJs. That sounds like a good rig though. Long arm kits popup on CL every now and then too.

conorcolton 03-22-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonermatt (Post 15145545)
There are a couple things they improved later on but nothing glaring comes to mind. You'll eventually need to do front end maintenance on the ball joints, tie rod ends and other linkages. It's just a fact of life with TJs. That sounds like a good rig though. Long arm kits popup on CL every now and then too.

Just for you, and everyone else who is following this. i ended up purchasing that 1999 tj. has the 4l i6. i love it. Had it for two days now. everything works. drives good. Suggestions for first mods?!?! its bone stock. with 31" tires. thats all

soonermatt 03-22-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conorcolton (Post 15177788)

Just for you, and everyone else who is following this. i ended up purchasing that 1999 tj. has the 4l i6. i love it. Had it for two days now. everything works. drives good. Suggestions for first mods?!?! its bone stock. with 31" tires. thats all

You're eventually going to ditch us and go over to the TJ section :)

I'd get the fluids changed. I'd Jack up the front and let it down on Jack stands and try to wobble stuff. You'll want to check for loose stuff.

My first suggested upgrade would be to buy a welder. Then I'd start prioritizing stuff. You'll probably want 33s. You might end up with 35s. You might upgrade that D35 in the rear and end up with a Ford 8.8. I can't really suggest what you do other than read a lot.

Honestly, some guys here (YJ section) are gonna lead you a stray. They might try to tell you your drag link should level or to lose your track bars. I'd just keep reading....

Edit: forgot to say..nice choice!

conorcolton 03-22-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonermatt

You're eventually going to ditch us and go over to the TJ section :)

I'd get the fluids changed. I'd Jack up the front and let it down on Jack stands and try to wobble stuff. You'll want to check for loose stuff.

My first suggested upgrade would be to buy a welder. Then I'd start prioritizing stuff. You'll probably want 33s. You might end up with 35s. You might upgrade that D35 in the rear and end up with a Ford 8.8. I can't really suggest what you do other than read a lot.

Honestly, some guys here (YJ section) are gonna lead you a stray. They might try to tell you your drag link should level or to lose your track bars. I'd just keep reading....

Edit: forgot to say..nice choice!

Thanks a lot man!


The time now is 05:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.