looking to buy a 98 tj, advice appreciated - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > looking to buy a 98 tj, advice appreciated

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

looking to buy a 98 tj, advice appreciated

Hey everyone, It's been a little while since I've posted on jeepforum.

A little background:
I sold my yj about 2 months ago. I purchased a motorcycle not too long after and have loved it, but there just isn't much to work on with it because it is a 250 ninja and I don't wanna dump money into it. Well, long story short, my parents hate the bike and want me to get rid of it, so they offered to help me buy a tj if I sell the bike, and I can't turn that offer down. They also offered to help pay for gas since ill be going from 50mpg to 15.

Anyways, getting down to business. I am going to look at a 1998 jeep wrangler tomorrow, and the seller is asking $8300. It has 120,00 miles on an inline 6 with the 5 speed transmission, which I had on my yj and loved. The jeep also has tube front fenders, a 5.5" (I assume long are) lift, and 37" tires. All of that and the xrc10 with synthetic rope have really gotten me interested in this jeep. PLUS, it has a/c, which the yj didn't.

The biggest downside is that it has stock axles both front and rear, but that doesn't bother me too much, because I will have money left over and would love to build a solid set of axles. Until then, I would just try to take it easy on the gas.

Like I said, I am just wanting to get advice on what to look for with tj's as far as common issues or things to look for with jeeps this heavily modified. Also, what do you all think about the deal it self?

kbb on the jeep in fully stock form is $7050 in good condition, and if you add all of the extra parts to that price, it comes out to just a little over $13000. I know you don't make what you put into a vehicle when you heavily modify it, but this doesn't seem like too bad a deal. The seller has dropped the price from $9500 down to $8300 and I dont think is willing to go much further, if any.

Thanks for all the help!
-yjryne

yjryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
PTWarrior66
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds fair, a little over priced though, maybe try 8k. 37's on stock axels is scary though, I'd change that ASAP.

Post some pictures
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, the price is above the blue book value, but I know that a 5.5" lift alone is around $2700, which is a lot more than I could afford to purchase and then do other things as well. Axles are what basically stopped my yj build from going any further, and I'd love to pick up a new project that picks up with axles.
But I am going to try and get the price dropped as low as possible of course. Also, from what I can see the interior looks pretty good, and that's a plus too.

Anyways, here are some pictures!
3k93md3oe5y35q55s5b4oe3742d9583ac1ef6.jpg   3m23p33od5v05z05p1b4od1eade18b42e17f6.jpg  
Unread 05-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to look tomorrow and could use the help preparing for the purchase.. I have searched this topic and it brings up a few things, I just want some opinions.

Thanks again!

Last edited by yjryne; 05-02-2011 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: want opinions on buy
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

b.u.m.p.
Unread 05-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think I would look for one more stock 37s are not going to last long even street driving, the fact the that PO added 37s with out the proper mods would make me want to run away. 37s are an odd size you will need to build a set of 1 tons to run them. Cost for set of 1 tons built, shortened with the proper gearing, you are looking at $3-5K. I don't want to burst your bubble but to me this thing is just asking to be money pit probably the reason the PO is getting rid of it. I would try to find one more stock with a D44 in the rear, maybe 33s, going to 35s on TJ require a fair amount of mods. And stopping 37s on stock brakes would be down right scary even with 33s I notice the difference from 31s. Also the steering is going to need an upgrade as well.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

alright, today I went to look at the jeep and take it for a test drive, and I was surprised at how well it handled. To tell you the truth, it seemed like it braked just as good as my yj, and it had about the same get up and go. The lift is short arm, which i didn't even know they made for a 5.5" lift, but it rode pretty well, definitely better than the yj I had.

Here is the biggest problem, when you turn the air to cool and then turn the fan up, a terrible smell came out of the vents. This jeep doesn't have A/C, which i thought was standard, but that still should not make it smell as bad as it did. That is the biggest problem about it. Does anyone know what would lead to this smell or how to fix it? perhaps something died in the heater? It really smelled that bad, but other than that the jeep was surprisingly clean, and the seller was willing to come down on price a little bit.

The parents and I are talking the purchase over tonight, and any extra insight would be helpful.
Unread 05-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
PTWarrior66
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It looks real nice. If you have time to upgrade the axels etc then go for it
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
2511fj
1969 C101 

What your going to spend on correct axels you could should buy a whole lot more jeep. I wouldn't even worry about the stink.
Good luck
2511fj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , tips

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.