Looking to buy this 1989 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking to buy this 1989 YJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
polybius

Looking to buy this 1989 YJ

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...jeep/575599375

Theres the link to the ad, im not the expert in jeeps, but If i buy this it will become my all year driver, to work/ etc. Im wondering what pros/cons will come if i decide to go thru with the buy?

I absolutely love the idea of taking my doors/top off and going for a cruise, I can do my own mechanic work to a point. I had a 93 grand cherokee as my last vehicle and it was awesome.

Is there any real problems with these jeeps? things i need to worry about?

Im a tall/bigger guy at 6'5/ 300 lbs, enough head/leg room?

polybius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No problems. They just take a lot of love and maintenance. Leg room isn't great might want to test drive it. I'm 5 11 160 lbs and I drive with the seat to the second to last setting.
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
polybius

im defiantly test driving it this Weekend, What about during the winter? what do i have to worry about, consdering its a carb engine, If i just keep a can of ether with me i should be fine?
polybius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

We get below zero a couple times around here and my 89 does fine. I have a new carb on it but before that I never had a problem. Only fuel issues I have had was I got a carb from a junk yard and it only lasted a week before the jets went out. I got rid of the original carb because I got rid of the stepper motor wires during my rebuild. And the mechanical fuel pump went out on me a couple weeks back and I replaced it with an electric pump.
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
Caboose89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure all the gauges work. Lights and what not. Check for leaks. Be sure to crawl under and check the frame for rust along with your floor boards. Jeep heaters are amazing so if it's working there's no problem keeping warm. Take a look under the dash and see what kind of mess your wiring is in. Make sure the 4WD works and Check the ebrake. The 4.2 and 2.5 are good engines. Treat them right and they will return the favor. Don't set your standards too high. It's not going to ride like your old Cherokee.
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Rust rust and more rust. This one has the ole "rust cover" diamond plate over the rocker panels which is that many owners do to cover up rusted out tubs. The windshield frame looks to have been replaced also, another indicator of rust problems. Shame it has the carb instead of the fuel injection, but in compensation the hardtop looks good.
My '89 runs perfectly, and has since I bought it. It needed about $2k additional to the buying price to get the mechanicals sorted out and seats replaced,etc.
$3k (Canadian?) is a good price, but I couldn't make out the odo mileage.
The 19,000 kilometers listed in the owners ad is either a mistake or bogus.
Unread 05-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And even more rust...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post
And even more rust...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Yep, and long as the problem exist I will keep calling attention to it.

Go sell some cars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.