Looking at 98 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking at 98 TJ

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looking at 98 TJ

I'm looking at an automatic 98 TJ with 32k miles. I'm more familiar with Cherokee's so I'm not sure what some of the little things I should look for are.

Any things I should be sure to check out or test? I know when testing XJ's it's good to look for the 8.25 rear axle and to test things like the window lock switch (common failure), etc. Anything like that I should test on the Wrangler?

Thanks!

itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Anyone have any tips for buying a TJ?
Unread 04-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itasor View Post
I'm looking at an automatic 98 TJ with 32k miles. I'm more familiar with Cherokee's so I'm not sure what some of the little things I should look for are.

Any things I should be sure to check out or test? I know when testing XJ's it's good to look for the 8.25 rear axle and to test things like the window lock switch (common failure), etc. Anything like that I should test on the Wrangler?

Thanks!
What kind of up-grades does the TJ have??? If you can get a TJ with a D44 in the rear it's better. Check for any leakage, with 32K that thing should be showroom.

And of course KICK THE TIRES.
Unread 04-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
txbolt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my '98 two years ago. No complaints.
If it's the sport model, it may have the d-44 rear end, I got lucky and mine did.
Try and check the tub for rust.
I can tell you this- In the 2 years I've had mine, replaced the power steering pump, front pads, and radiator. These were the only serious mechanical issues.
Hope that helps some, good luck.

edit: Mine had 52,000 miles at time of purchase, I also replaced the master cylinder.
RED JEEP CLUB member #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody-77 View Post
I got syphilus from Glen....pretty sure the herpes came from Gwen.
txbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

No rust anywhere on the body...it wasn't driven in the winter. Not even around the hinges or anything. Underneath like the muffler and driveshaft have a little rust, but so do most brand new cars. Power steering feels great and so did the brakes. It's totally stock, but I will check for the D-44 rear. I couldn't find any leaks on the ground where it was parked and nothing was wet underneath. The tires are good. They are newer Wrangler GSA's, which aren't terrible.
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Is the engine/transmission/transfercase on an automatic TJ known to be as strong as they are in the XJ? I know the AW4 is an awesome tranny, but I don't know anything about the TJ automatic trans.
Unread 05-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
yzman720

pics???????
yzman720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.