Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking at 98 TJ

803 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  yzman720 
#1 ·
I'm looking at an automatic 98 TJ with 32k miles. I'm more familiar with Cherokee's so I'm not sure what some of the little things I should look for are.

Any things I should be sure to check out or test? I know when testing XJ's it's good to look for the 8.25 rear axle and to test things like the window lock switch (common failure), etc. Anything like that I should test on the Wrangler?

Thanks!

#4 ·
I bought my '98 two years ago. No complaints.
If it's the sport model, it may have the d-44 rear end, I got lucky and mine did.
Try and check the tub for rust.
I can tell you this- In the 2 years I've had mine, replaced the power steering pump, front pads, and radiator. These were the only serious mechanical issues.
Hope that helps some, good luck.

edit: Mine had 52,000 miles at time of purchase, I also replaced the master cylinder.

#5 ·
No rust anywhere on the body...it wasn't driven in the winter. Not even around the hinges or anything. Underneath like the muffler and driveshaft have a little rust, but so do most brand new cars. Power steering feels great and so did the brakes. It's totally stock, but I will check for the D-44 rear. I couldn't find any leaks on the ground where it was parked and nothing was wet underneath. The tires are good. They are newer Wrangler GSA's, which aren't terrible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.