Looking at this '87 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking at this '87 Cherokee

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 11-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
TWiStEDxMEtAL

Looking at this '87 Cherokee

I'm looking at an '87 Cherokee 4x4 4.0 Inline-6 and 4-speed auto. It's only got 86,7XX original miles on it. The ad notes working A/C, very clean with photos to prove it and has not been off-roaded since it was upgraded. Inside and out is real clean. It's pretty tricked out with a 3.5" Rubicon lift, nice wheels and tires, bumpers, body armor, roof rack, off-road lights and winch. Price is just over $6500. I talked to the owner and he is a wholesale dealer who likes upgrading the older Jeeps and reselling them, he has a couple. I'm concerned about the title because he said the CarFax is clean but the lot he purchased it from was marked salvage, possibly by accident or due to its age. I don't know exactly what it says on the title right now. Haven't been able to lookup a CarFax myself either. He said it was stock when he bought it and the door had been backed into at the lot it was sitting in, so a door is new. He offered to put it on a lift to show me everything and assured me there was no damage. Only rust was on the tailpipe (Rust isn't a big issue here). Tags and registration would be current as of the purchase date done by him.

I never thought I'd own a Jeep anytime soon and my father really hates the idea of a Jeep. Me on the other hand, I've always liked classic cars for their loudness, roughness and smell. I dig some of the newer Jeep Wranglers and always had a thing for these older Cherokees. I wanted a Baja Bug before but moved onto this for more practicality. It would be my daily driver and weekend toy like all of us here, except I would just be getting into four wheeling and routine maintenance, which I'm interested in doing. I know they get poor mileage, but I've been driving a older Suburban so its not much different and I'd have my own truck and be able to mess around in it. Besides, I won't be driving that far and I may only be going to school an hour and a half or up to three hours away in the next few years so I could take it with me then.

You guys dig? I'm going to look if its still for sale later in the week... hour and a half drive for me. What should I look out for?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ctd/4188087700.html

TWiStEDxMEtAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There are way too many used Cherokees out there to even think about buying one with a salvaged background. I would't even bother looking until I saw a CarFax report. Also the price is very high for a 26 year old vehicle with dubious background.

"Loudness, roughness and smell"? You are kidding, right?
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's at a dealer, has a salvaged title, and is priced about double what its worth. I wouldn't even bother to look at it.

For that price you can buy a decent cherokee and a baja bug....
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Adam013085

It does look clean and tasteful upgrades but as stated he is about double the price and a possible salvage title. It has lower miles but is still a 26 year old vehicle. Id keep looking.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
TWiStEDxMEtAL

Autocheck returned a clean title... one failed smog two years ago then it was re-inspected and passed. I don't want a salvage title either, just weird that the owner mentioned it. If I can get a better deal on one and build it up then I'm all for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
"Loudness, roughness and smell"? You are kidding, right?
Nope! New cars bore me.
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
TWiStEDxMEtAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtco99 View Post
It's at a dealer, has a salvaged title, and is priced about double what its worth. I wouldn't even bother to look at it.

For that price you can buy a decent cherokee and a baja bug....
A Cherokee AND a Baja Bug? I'm too young to own two cars let alone one, but that is tempting.
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Adam013085

You could easily find a cherokee half that price and newer and add exactly what was added to that one (or add what you want) for $6500 or you can spend 26500 it all depends on what you would want to add. All that has been added to this cherokee are simple bolt ons.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.